SIG Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend an affordable, but not cheap compensator for the SIG 516 that works well, isn't too much louder than the A2 Flashhider, and reduces muzzle rise? I am thinking about this enhancement to my 516. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I ordered a Precision Armament M472-5.56 black got it today installed it today and have to say I'm liking what I see so far. Ordered the Accu-washer kit also made it SO VERY EASY to install. Finish looks good came in small plastic tube. After I get to the range I will follow up on how it feels.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@ diverwes - That Precision Armament Compensator looks great!!! I like the look of it better than the Lantac one. What is this one called, where did you get it, and how much was it?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Unless you're doing a lot of full auto mag dumps the A2 is all the compensator you need on a 5.56 rifle. Honestly I think you'd be better served with a well designed flash hider, like the Smith Vortex or one of that design. Something that sends the noise down-range instead of back in your face. Anything more "compensating" than the A2 is just noise in your face. You owe it to yourself to try it before hanging more "compensator" on such a low recoil rifle.

-Mike

·
Registered
726 Posts
Mike, I was kind of thinking the same thing.

I do a LOT of shooting with my 516. When I take my time, I get 1.5 minute groups with cheap ball ammo, which is the best this rifle will get with that ammo. When I do rapid fire, prone, on a bi-pod... I still hold between a 2 and 2.5 minute group.

Given that the 516 is a battle rifle, and not really intended for long range precision shooting, exactly what measurable gains can you expect?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Let me add to this.
I ran 150 rounds down range today and can say the compensator works great. The feel is smooth with very little rise. BUT BUT I was on an indoor range and can say for fact holy **** you get a face full of gasses. I mean unless you put a fan behind you blowing forward you are eating it. I can not speak for outside it has to be great then. Other then blowing your hair off its GREAT.

·
Registered
726 Posts
If you are adamant about doing something to an M4 clone or any 5.56/.223 rifle, I would say to get a suppressor.

Many major weapons and ammunition manufactures agree that along with making the sound levels "hearing safe" and offering zero muzzle flash, you also have less felt recoil, reduce muzzle rise, and provide tighter, more consistent groups.

Something to think about.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
If you are adamant about doing something to an M4 clone or any 5.56/.223 rifle, I would say to get a suppressor.

Many major weapons and ammunition manufactures agree that along with making the sound levels "hearing safe" and offering zero muzzle flash, you also have less felt recoil, reduce muzzle rise, and provide tighter, more consistent groups.

Something to think about.
Something I wish the Iowa state government would do more than think about!
Only 10 states totally ban civilian ownership of cans and I have to live in one!

·
Registered
726 Posts
That really sucks. I don't know how bad it is there, but it might be time to vote with your feet. I won't live anywhere I can't bring my weapons. One of the main reasons I left Rhode Island near 20 years ago.

Its funny, RI refused to ratify the Constitution until it was spelled out in an Amendment that the people have a right to keep and bare arms, now they are one of the worst infringing states in the country. Only cop and cons have guns. The year I left, the AG's office only had about 435 active permits issued to civilians.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts