SIG Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sig m11 a1 I bought a few years ago that was my favorite. Since then I picked up a police trade in 229 in 40 that has taken over as the one I like to shoot. The only thing the m11 has that my 229 doesn't is the srt which I will be ordering soon. I have since gotten a desire to get my first 45. I am considering trading my m11 straight up for a 220 carry which the guy added night sights to. So would this be a good trade? My other option is to keep the m11 and order a full size 320 45. Anyone have both the 320 and the 220? Would I be disappointed in the 320 when I am used to the 229 and m11?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
That is a question only you can answer. Have you shot both a 320 and a 220?
Since the two guns you are looking at are very different (full size vs carry, striker vs DA/SA, polymer vs alloy) you probably need to figure out which platform you prefer and what you want to use the gun for. Are these going to be carry guns, home defense, or range toys? Do you prefer DA/SA or striker fired guns? Do you prefer single stack or double stack guns?

If you like the feel of the 229, you should try a 227 carry (if you dont like rails, check out a 227 SAS). The 227 carry and 229 are very similar but if you want a full size gun, you should be comparing a full size 320 to a full size 220 and 227.

There are lots of guns out there, don't settle just because you know of one person who will trade a 220 carry for a M11A1. A used or CPO 220 or 227 can be found for about the same amount as a new 320.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a fun gun. I have a xds, fn 9c, and the 229 I used for concealed carry. I am just looking at trying out a 45. I have not shot a 220 or 320. There are not any great gun shops around here that rent guns to try out. My wonderful wife will let me buy another but I don't know if I want to buy another 1k gun. I was leaning towards a 220 instead of a 320 or even a 1911 due to being just like my 229 in operation

·
Registered
160 Posts
There is a lot to like about the 220, and I've heard a number of folks on this forum say the 220 is their favorite.

I do have one piece of advice. Your wife gave you the OK to buy another gun, buy another gun-don't trade your M11a1. If you really don't want the m11a1, save it for the time you find a gun you really want and your wife doesn't want you to buy another.

You should be able to find a nice 220 for $600-$700 used-no need to spend $1k. There is a 220 compact in the classified section here for $670 and a number of great options on gunbroker.
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/632714908
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/631230376

I'd try to get this:
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/629458340

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a lot to like about the 220, and I've heard a number of folks on this forum say the 220 is their favorite.

I do have one piece of advice. Your wife gave you the OK to buy another gun, buy another gun-don't trade your M11a1. If you really don't want the m11a1, save it for the time you find a gun you really want and your wife doesn't want you to buy another.

You should be able to find a nice 220 for $600-$700 used-no need to spend $1k. There is a 220 compact in the classified section here for $670 and a number of great options on gunbroker.
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/632714908
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/631230376

I'd try to get this:
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/629458340

I love that one you pointed out! I'm going to watch that one!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Well I don't own a P220 but I do own a P229 .40 S&W (with SRT) and a full-sized P320 in .45 ACP.

Would you be disappointed with the P320 .45? Who can say but you. The P320 as you doubtless know is a polymer-frame, striker-fired pistol. It shoots very nicely and has an excellent trigger for a striker-fired pistol. The trigger action is not going to be quite as nice as the single action trigger of your P229. The full size P320 absorbs the recoil of .45 ACP very well. I enjoy shooting it almost as much as my model 1911s. But I don't get as warm and fuzzy feeling about either of my P320s as I do my all-metal, hammer-fired P229. And if someone wanted to trade me a P220 for my P320 .45 straight up, I would certainly jump on it.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,056 Posts
This is a fun gun. I have a xds, fn 9c, and the 229 I used for concealed carry. I am just looking at trying out a 45. I have not shot a 220 or 320. There are not any great gun shops around here that rent guns to try out. My wonderful wife will let me buy another but I don't know if I want to buy another 1k gun. I was leaning towards a 220 instead of a 320 or even a 1911 due to being just like my 229 in operation

If it's just for "fun"... get a M1911, doesn't even need to be a Sig. Get one of the Phillipines manufactured units like Rock River Arms. They can be found for less than $500 new.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it's just for "fun"... get a M1911, doesn't even need to be a Sig. Get one of the Phillipines manufactured units like Rock River Arms. They can be found for less than $500 new.

My only thought to staying away from a 1911 is im familiar with sig and the da/sa versus a safery

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

This might be my cheapest option to get into a 220. I kind of like the police trade ins I don't mind beating on them and I'm not worried about hem getting scratched

·
Registered
1,184 Posts

This might be my cheapest option to get into a 220. I kind of like the police trade ins I don't mind beating on them and I'm not worried about hem getting scratched

My only thought to staying away from a 1911 is im familiar with sig and the da/sa versus a safery

Did you notice that this is DAK not DA/SA?

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
Personally, I would keep the M11 and get one of the two, or BOTH if you just can't decide! :lol:

Seriously, though, wrt the P320 and P220, they're so totally different. The P320 45 is a massive gun as compared to the P220 as it is a double stack while the P220 is a single stack, and one is striker while the other comes in either DA/SA or SAO, so both guns are going to perform very differently. I suggest shooting all three versions (striker, DA/SA, SAO), putting at least 200 rounds through each of them, so that you can determine for yourself which you prefer. All three are fine offerings, but if it were me, I would be hard pressed to make a decision without at least shooting both side by side.

I have not shot the P320 45, but I have owned and shot several Sig P220s in both DA/SA and SAO. One SAO model I had was fitted with aluminum grips, and I sweat to God that was the best feeling gun I think I've ever picked up. One thing you may want to consider is that the P220 is a battle hardened, proven veteran where the P320 is a new kid on the block. That doesn't mean the P320 won't be a reliable piece for you, but really, until you handle both you really can't make an informed decision. FWIW, for your consideration. :)

·
Registered
17,945 Posts
I own a 220 Carry SAO and I highly recommend this gun. I carried mine for a couple of years until I got a 220 Compact and now I don't EDC the 220 carry any more, but I do switch out with the compact from time to time.

Great gun. I wouldn't sell or trade it for anything.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I have a sig m11 a1 I bought a few years ago that was my favorite. Since then I picked up a police trade in 229 in 40 that has taken over as the one I like to shoot. The only thing the m11 has that my 229 doesn't is the srt which I will be ordering soon. I have since gotten a desire to get my first 45. I am considering trading my m11 straight up for a 220 carry which the guy added night sights to. So would this be a good trade? My other option is to keep the m11 and order a full size 320 45. Anyone have both the 320 and the 220? Would I be disappointed in the 320 when I am used to the 229 and m11?

Personally I would pick any classic P series over the P320.

I have a LNIB P200 Carry for sale. Its listed in the classifieds. Let me know what you decide. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I think you meant "Rock Island Armory", Willard. Rock River Arms model 1911s are made in the US and are not cheap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.