SIG Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
7,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand there are many factors which come into play regarding this.

But as a whole, how long does your brass last in comparison to .380 ACP / 9mm / .40 S&W / .45 ACP before it fails?

Know what, maybe I shouldn't even mention .45 ACP since brass from this round lasts forever... :lol:

· Registered
7,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...as a whole, how long does your brass last in comparison to .380 ACP / 9mm / .40 S&W / .45 ACP before it fails?
This.

Does .357 SIG brass tend to incur case neck splitting earlier?

· Registered
804 Posts
Georgia Arms .357SIG

I have been reloading cases from Georgia Arms that were remanufactured (reloaded used brass). I find split necks on approximately 2% of my recovered brass each time I shoot. Since I don't know how many times they were fired before I used them, I can't comment on how long they last. I do know that necked brass does not reload as many times as straight cases. .357SIG is a high pressure round that stresses cases more than other pistol calibers. Just inspect each case carefully before reloading and be prepared to toss any that show signs of failing.

· Registered
7,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do know that necked brass does not reload as many times as straight cases. .357SIG is a high pressure round that stresses cases more than other pistol calibers.
Thanks.

This was what I wanted to confirm :thumbsu:

· Registered
7,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Real Guns - Overthinking the 357 SIG....again - Part I

Real Guns - Overthinking the 357 SIG....again - Part II Conclusion

Real Guns - Handload Data - 357 SIG

Hm.

Different opinions...

I wonder if the issues arise from not treating the round as a tiny rifle casing.

Reloading 357 Sig's | The Firearms Forum

I've picked up a lot .357 sig brass in the past few months and I find more split case mouths on them than all other calibers combined. It's rare to find a .45, .40, or 9mm with a split in the mouth, but maybe 25% of the sigs are damaged and end up in the rejects can.
The .357 SIG is a 40,000psi cartridge, which is hotter than it's .40S&W parent case or even 9mm+P. Yes, I do have the occasional neck split too. Case life is shorter than the .40...I usually only get 5 or 6 loadings out of my .357SIG brass before they start getting either cracks or the rims hammered up so bad they start to misfeed.
I reload 357 Sig all the time. I get a split neck every once in a while, but other than that, I have zero problems when it comes to reloading them.
357 sig case split | Shooters' Forum

FWIW....SPEER cases seem to be the most problematic. I have seen what appears to be two different cases from Speer. The brass used with their top of the line defense ammo appears no different than WW, FC or RP cases. And loads fine, short of some of it had a smaller diameter flash hole. And it appears to be fairly thin.

· Premium Member
18,482 Posts
I have yet to find a split 357 SIG case. I've loaded about 5,000 rounds and have another 3,000 cases cleaned, ready to load. Part of my cleaning process is to inspect for cracks, so 8,000 rounds, zero splits to date. Most of this brass is Georgia Arms Canned Heat, a lot is used brass I purchased, and a small portion is from new ammo I shot. How many rounds through each case is anybody's guess, but several are approaching 10 times reloaded.

· Registered
7,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have yet to find a split 357 SIG case. I've loaded about 5,000 rounds and have another 3,000 cases cleaned, ready to load. Part of my cleaning process is to inspect for cracks, so 8,000 rounds, zero splits to date. Most of this brass is Georgia Arms Canned Heat, a lot is used brass I purchased, and a small portion is from new ammo I shot. How many rounds through each case is anybody's guess, but several are approaching 10 times reloaded.
Good to know.

My barrel will arrive in two months or so.

I might ask for further recommendations then.

What's currently inbound are a Redding Expander, Competition Seater, and a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

I can also put on some really nice - looking cannelures, if need be...

· Registered
596 Posts
I've had a few case necks split on me, it usually happens while expanding on my Dillon 550b expander. This is to be expected of course.

I use Speer once fired bought in 1000 round lots from Graf & Son's. I resize it with a Redding full length sizing die that has been 100% for me.

I size and prep the 357 SIG brass just like prepping Mil Surp 5.56 brass: Tumble, lube, size & decap, tumble again, and store. (Leaving off the Swage and trim needed on the 5.56mm brass)

I have a few thousand ready to load and about 500 ready to shoot at any given time.

What kind of barrel did you get? Why the long wait for it?

· Registered
7,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I've had a few case necks split on me, it usually happens while expanding on my Dillon 550b expander. This is to be expected of course.

I use Speer once fired bought in 1000 round lots from Graf & Son's. I resize it with a Redding full length sizing die that has been 100% for me.

I size and prep the 357 SIG brass just like prepping Mil Surp 5.56 brass: Tumble, lube, size & decap, tumble again, and store. (Leaving off the Swage and trim needed on the 5.56mm brass)

I have a few thousand ready to load and about 500 ready to shoot at any given time.
:thumbsu:

What kind of barrel did you get? Why the long wait for it?

It's a Bar - Sto Semi - Fit Barrel which I'm going to recklessly file away at...

And it'll be going in one of my six - inch Glocks :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.