SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new on this site, and new to the whole handgun world. I'm looking to purchase my first handgun and have decided on the 226 MK25. After doing a ton of research, I've stumbled across a few reviews saying that some MK25's have chrome lined barrels and some don't. I saw one guy say that the "newer" models have the chrome lined barrels. Then I also saw a guy that said he bought two MK25's in 2013, one had a chrome lined barrel and one didn't. I'm curious if anyone can please clear this up for me, or is it just hit or miss? Also if I go to a Gander Mountain, or Cabelas, would they let me take it down to see if it has a chrome barrel? Do I need to take it down to tell? Will a chrome lined barrel even make a big difference? Lastly I've read reviews on how to tell if a barrel is chrome lined or not. People have said "it looks like the barrel was spray painted silver", "it looks like a mirror finish" , some say its reflective but not too reflective, and some people just laugh at the person asking such a dumb question. Just looking for what I would see if I looked at a standard 226 barrel compared to a chrome one. Sorry for all of the questions, just trying to make a good purchase.

1. Which if any Mk25's have chrome lined barrels?

2.Can I disassemble in store to check?

3.Do I need to disassemble to be able to see if it is a chrome lined barrel?

4.Will a chrome lined barrel even make a difference?

5. What are the differences I'd see when comparing a chrome lined barrel to a standard 226 barrel?

6. Thanks in advance for your help!

This was my first post on any type of forum, hope I didn't butcher it too bad.

·
Registered
408 Posts
1. I don't know.

2. That would be up to the store.

3. No. You should be able to tell from the muzzle end.

4. A chrome lined barrel might last longer. It will be corrosion resistant, but if you care for your guns properly it will make little or no difference.

5. The interior finish will be black on a new unused blued, non-chrome lined barrel. A chrome lined barrel will be dull silver-gray.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much for the reply. I'm wondering if people are confusing the MK25 internal coating, for a chrome lined barrel. From what I've read, they say the internal corrosion resistance coating on the MK25 makes the barrel look grey. And like I said, my knowledge only goes as far as what I've read. Anyway, I really appreciate your time.

·
Banned
751 Posts
SIG is notorious for using left over parts, so to speak, and mix matching small things on their pistols. Case in point, the MK25 is not supposed to come with a chrome lined barrel, but some do end up being shipped with them. Some 1911 Nightmares ship with nickle plated mag releases instead of the standard blued/black ones, etc.

·
Registered
22,107 Posts
This has come up before and the answer was yes. I had even called Sig c/s a while back to ask the question, as it had been reported on various reviews, etc. as being such. The c/s guy had also told me that it was. Now, sometimes they do get things wrong on occasion, so at this point . . .

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This has come up before and the answer was yes. I had even called Sig c/s a while back to ask the question, as it had been reported on various reviews, etc. as being such. The c/s guy had also told me that it was. Now, sometimes they do get things wrong on occasion, so at this point . . .
When you say the answer is yes, what exactly are you referring too?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've actually read that thread, and that's what I'm questioning. The guy in that thread said the MK25 barrel is a dull grey, and I'm wondering if people are mistaking that for a chrome lined barrel. Also the last post in that same thread, a guy said he bought two MK25's in 2013, one had a chrome lined barrel and one had a standard. This really threw me for a loop.

·
Registered
408 Posts
If the barrel interior is a dull grey, then it's not black like a blued barrel is.

Also, if you have already read another thread you might mention that next time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to sound rude, I'm just wondering if you could be more specific as to what you called and asked. And what they said "yes" too.
Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If the barrel interior is a dull grey, then it's not black like a blued barrel is.

Also, if you have already read another thread you might mention that next time.
Which barrel interior is a dull gray? The chrome? Or the phosphate coated?Because you said earlier that the chrome will look "silver-gray"

And sorry, I should have mentioned that, this is my first post on any type of forum, I wasn't aware of the proper educate.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So here is where I'm at now. Are people mistaking the phosphate coated barrel (which looks gray) for the chrome lined barrel (that people say should also look gray)? Or is there a clear distinct difference between the two?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd like to thank everyone for their time. I appreciate your knowledge in this situation which I know nothing about. I'd just like to make a smart purchase and know what exactly I'm getting.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Which barrel interior is a dull gray? The chrome? Or the phosphate coated?Because you said earlier that the chrome will look "silver-gray"
Hard chrome lined barrels are dull silver-gray. Look at the dull side of a sheet of aluminum foil for a very similar finish.

Phosphate is darker, almost black when oiled.

You may be confusing Sig's description of corrosion resistant (phosphated) internal small parts with barrel treatments.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hard chrome lined barrels are dull silver-gray. Look at the dull side of a sheet of aluminum foil for a very similar finish.

Phosphate is darker, almost black when oiled.

You may be confusing Sig's description of corrosion resistant (phosphated) internal small parts with barrel treatments.
Ok thanks! So when I go to the store in the next few days, if I want the hard chrome barrel, I should look for a dull silver gray and it should be much brighter than the standard 226 barrel?

·
Registered
408 Posts
A hard chrome lined barrel interior will not be black like a standard blued steel barrel will be. It should be obvious.

Looking at the current specification for this pistol on the Sig site, I don't see a chrome lined barrel being mentioned.

P226 MK25

Is a hard chrome lined barrel that important to you? If I had my heart set on a MK25 I wouldn't walk away from one that didn't have a hard chrome lined barrel.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts