·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And that's why I carry a P220 10mm in the woods, loaded with Underwood 200 gr hardcast. ;)
I pack a long slide in .45 Super w/ Underwood 255 grain HC. That gun is heading down to be converted to .460 Rowland soon.
Then Ill be cookin with gas. :cool:

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
For all my hunts and fishing trips in Alaska I carried a SW Classic Hunter 44mag with custom 328gr bear loads. Never had to use it but darn glad I had it. I personally wouldn’t carry a 10mm up there.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Black bear is one thing.

I sure as hell wouldn't want to face off with a Grizzly or Kodiak bear with only a 10mm.
lol I was just getting ready to add that. The bear in the above pic would be lucky to go 300 lbs.
Even then i hope everyone understands that even tho an experienced hunter there was an element of luck in play.
Bigger they are more luck you need. :ROFLMAO:

Here is what I mean...

I dont know this young lady & had nothing to do with this.
Photograph Gesture Carnivore Natural material Fawn

This one isnt dead but drugged to fit a collar on.
Plant Tree Goggles Sunglasses Terrestrial plant

This guy isnt really this white either nor is he so bug eyed. He is still amped to the max lol
Hunting Trophy hunting Military camouflage Terrestrial animal Grass

Camouflage Military camouflage Bird Organ Military uniform

King Salmon Lodge hunt. Even the little one on the right is quite large lol. The one on the left was a record bear.
Plant Green Window Wood Leisure

This one was taken in Russia after killing & consuming 4 hunters according to the story. Cant post the pics of the hunters tho, Its not pretty.
I cant remember how many rounds it took. More than a few obviously including the one in the mouth and none of them were handgun loads.
Tire Trousers Military camouflage Plant Wheel

South East AK
Plant Tree Hat Terrestrial plant Recreation

This one is poised to take the world record by a full inch once its official. Taken with a bow at 30 yards.
Trophy hunting Hunting Sky Brown bear Military camouflage

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
I live in some of the most dense grizz country in the lower 48, and I've also spent a lot of time in AK, Yukon, BC, etc. I'm quite familiar with how large they get, and what an awesome amount of power and speed they are capable of. If you've never seen one flip over a full-grown elk carcass with little effort, you have no idea.

There really is no adequate handgun caliber for a large grizz, imo. And with the handgun calibers that might come closest to having appropriate muzzle energy, you'll be lucky to get one shot off with questionable odds for accuracy, given the amount of recoil. If you're in serious grizz country and you're going to carry a firearm, don't kid yourself - carry a long gun.

Hunting them, taking a broadside shot from concealment is also very different from encountering one at close range that is heading full speed at you and trying to get a shot off.

Bottom line in my opinion is to hope you never have to defend yourself from an angry grizz, no matter what you're carrying. The outcome is far from certain, no matter what hand cannon you might choose. .

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I live in some of the most dense grizz country in the lower 48, and I've also spent a lot of time in AK, Yukon, BC, etc. I'm quite familiar with how large they get, and what an awesome amount of power and speed they are capable of. If you've never seen one flip over a full-grown elk carcass with little effort, you have no idea.

There really is no adequate handgun caliber for a large grizz, imo. And with the handgun calibers that might come closest to having appropriate muzzle energy, you'll be lucky to get one shot off with questionable odds for accuracy, given the amount of recoil. If you're in serious grizz country and you're going to carry a firearm, don't kid yourself - carry a long gun.

Hunting them, taking a broadside shot from concealment is also very different from encountering one at close range that is heading full speed at you and trying to get a shot off.

Bottom line in my opinion is to hope you never have to defend yourself from an angry grizz, no matter what you're carrying. The outcome is far from certain, no matter what hand cannon you might choose. .

Very well said and spot on!
In camp we endeavored to get the meat out of camp ASAP. We could run the big trucks out of camp 5 miles and a buddy would land in a super cub and relieve us of it or we could go 9 miles and meet the wives and they would take it home and hang it in the curing shack. Lot of times we were forced to hang it in the woods overnight. We hang it far enough out of camp that so they aren't on us but close enough to defend it but we figured out over the years the easiest course of action was to hang a quarter a bit low and let whatever bears territory it is have it if they show up. Easier and wiser to give it up if it comes to it.
We had a large camp, take 3 or 4 trucks, 12-15 buddies and stay in the woods the whole 30 days, same basic group of co-workers and friends for 30 + years.
Built everything in our shop, worked hard and played hard lol.
Most everyone seen these pics but those that have not...

Start em young...Kids would rather go on a buggy ride than take their next breath of air lol.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Motor vehicle

Getting ready to run a load of meat out to the wives. Everyone does their part where they can, everyone eats for the winter.
So many people cant relate to that, Just go to the supermarket etc. Some get it some never will. We werent even hunters we were getters lol
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Car

A boy in the woods is a happy boy :ROFLMAO: These trucks are the secret to success and the only reason we could stay in the woods so long.
We also made a living with them. Deep off road recovery. Heavy equipment repair in the bush, gold mines etc. It was a great life.
We learned early on doing the hard stuff no one else wanted to do paid extremely well and it became our reputation.
Vehicle Car Truck Sky Automotive tire

Knotheads are us lol
Trousers Squad Military camouflage Military uniform Military person

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is how the tourists and hikers do it. Not a gun in sight. :ROFLMAO:
This is on the Brooks river.
i guess this guy got a large fine by the feds. I didnt bother reading the story as it never changes just the names of the goobers change.
If they wanted him tho they could have him before he could get out of the frame of this picture. Knee deep water, slippery rocks underfoot and no gun.

Water Water resources Fluvial landforms of streams Waterfall Natural landscape

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is where we should try to get to.

That would get it done, sure looks painful to get proficient with tho. My hands hurt just watching them guys lol
Thats definitely the way you would have to shoot tho if it came to it.
Pretty impressive for sure!

·
Registered
22,783 Posts
lol I was just getting ready to add that. The bear in the above pic would be lucky to go 300 lbs.
Even then i hope everyone understands that even tho an experienced hunter there was an element of luck in play.
Bigger they are more luck you need. :ROFLMAO:

Here is what I mean...

I dont know this young lady & had nothing to do with this.
View attachment 417932

This one isnt dead but drugged to fit a collar on.
View attachment 417933

This guy isnt really this white either nor is he so bug eyed. He is still amped to the max lol
View attachment 417934

View attachment 417935

King Salmon Lodge hunt. Even the little one on the right is quite large lol. The one on the left was a record bear.
View attachment 417936

This one was taken in Russia after killing & consuming 4 hunters according to the story. Cant post the pics of the hunters tho, Its not pretty.
I cant remember how many rounds it took. More than a few obviously including the one in the mouth and none of them were handgun loads.
View attachment 417939

South East AK
View attachment 417941

This one is poised to take the world record by a full inch once its official. Taken with a bow at 30 yards.
View attachment 417942

Daaaaayyyum!! 🙀🙀🙀🙀
I'll talk something in a .50BMG, please.

• Haha
Reactions: Heavy Industries

·
Registered
61 Posts
See the vid below ...

Long time black bear guide packs a 10mm Kimber loaded with UW 200gn ammo. He's had to track down and finish off super-pissy bears in the bush that his p*ss-poor-shot clients only wounded.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Black bear is one thing.
I sure as hell wouldn't want to face off with a Grizzly or Kodiak bear with only a 10mm.
LOL! ... :LOL:

Ah yeah, no. :rolleyes:

The 10mm is the most popular 'bear country' pistol cartridge in AK, typically though not always in a Glock 20 or 40.

Apparently there a quite a few 10mm 1911s riding in chest rigs, and more recently the 10mm XDMs are appearing up there too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
For all my hunts and fishing trips in Alaska I carried a SW Classic Hunter 44mag with custom 328gr bear loads. Never had to use it but darn glad I had it. I personally wouldn’t carry a 10mm up there.
Seriously? Well, good thing you don't have to face-down one of these dudes with your Mil-issue 10mm Glock 20.

Polar bear Carnivore Water Terrestrial animal Liquid

The G20 pistol is the issued sidearm for Denmark's Sirius Sledge Patrol units whose soldiers operate in the arctic regions of Greenland. They're issued 30-06 rifles too, but the rifles aren't always in their hands or even within reach when a Polar bear appears and charges.

Polar bear Mouth Carnivore Roar Fang

1 - 20 of 36 Posts