SIG Talk banner

Sig 1911 tac ops modular questions

1116 3
Good day all,

There seems to be a lot of 1911 Tac Ops threads, apologies for adding to the pile!
I'm starting to sift through the various threads to get the answers to some questions but in case anyone is inclined to speed it up I thought I'd ask.

So, because of where I live after registering and owning 10 restricted firearms (pistols, AR15s) the government takes a bigger notice and can show up to my place at random to inspect my firearms and safe etc.. Because of that I'm trying to be as modular as I can. For example I have a Sig P226 in 9mm, .22LR upper slide & .40 upper slide Only one lower receiver so it only counts as one firearm.

I'm going to be picking up a 1911 Tacops .45 for $815 USD through a military discount. I was wondering if the Sig 1911 -22LR conversion kit that's out there will fit on the 1911 tac ops receiver?

Also, are there 9mm slide conversions? I haven't seen any for sale yet. In the bit of research I've done the consensus seems to be that it's better to buy a dedicated 1911-9mm than tinker it yourself but the threads I was reading are back from 2010-2013ish, I was hoping maybe some improvements have been made or something.

Thanks!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
489 Posts
yes the 22LR 1911 xchange fits (full and carry not ultra). Sig doesn't list 1911 xchange any longer on the USA site.

I haven't seen a 9mm 1911 xchange, would be nice i'd buy one today to avoid a pistol permit, paperwork, ffl transfer, nics wait and other delays.

Also cant can't confirm the 22LR xchange fits the 40/9mm 1911 models.

EDIT - the shorter 22 mags will annoy you a little however with the tacops longer magwell grips (same as my emp scorp).

· Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,437 Posts
Endeavourofwill... welcome to the forum from the southwestern corner of Indiana.

Your question about the viability of a 9mm upper for a 1911. Since I'm not up to speed on Sigs 1911 entrees into this market, I can only speculate. If they use a "Ramped Barrel" then it could be feasible. If they are using the ramped frame, then possibly not. From the replacement barrels shown on their website, it appears they use ramped frames. This was a learning curve by Colt decades ago, and may even include the .40 S&W chambering. Most problems are due to both the difference in cartridge lengths, and feedramp angles. Some cases could even be due to ejector used... which "could" require a replacement.

This a question I would pose to Sig, for you to consider their product. In my mind, for the modularity you desire, a ramped barrel is the way to go, and as their other models have them, I am somewhat surprised they developed their 1911 models without them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.