SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I detail stripped my 220 for installation of a short reset kit and found this:

This is the underside of the right rear frame rail where the slide runs. The opposite side is this way also but not as bad.
I purchased this pistol new and has always been properly lubed. I have fired less than 1000 rounds of hardball.
Surly this is not normal. I have not noticed any malfunctions of any kind.
What say the more learned of this site?
TIA,
Chris

· Registered
426 Posts
I am pretty new to Sig myself and don't consider myself much learned in their firearms. But, I would absolutely be calling them. Can't say I would be thinking I was going to get a refinshed frame or anything but that looks bad to me and they should do........something about it. Good luck and give us the follow up report for sure. Hate seeing this. As a P220 Legion is next on my list.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys, I didn't think this was normal wear. When I found this, I quickly looked at my German 220, 226, and my 227. None of these show this kind of wear.
FWIW, I have been running a SIG rimfire top half on this frame. Are these conversions a no-no?
Chris

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This begs the question, what lube are you using?
Agreed, I would have asked the same question. TC25b in the beginning but have moved to Lucas grease. I always lube the rails prior to a range session. I have other alloy frame pistols than mentioned above (Ruger 1911's) and I haven't had problems with them either.
Thanks for your answers!
Chris

· Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Thanks Guys, I didn't think this was normal wear. When I found this, I quickly looked at my German 220, 226, and my 227. None of these show this kind of wear.
FWIW, I have been running a SIG rimfire top half on this frame. Are these conversions a no-no?
Chris
Here is your problem...an ill fitting upper. I know it's your 220 and I know you said it's a Sig rimfire conversion, but I'd never consider making my .45 a .22 LR, you want that get a dedicated rimfire it's not like you only have one handgun. I know this is being critical, don't be offended, but anyone who reads this should learn that if you have a Sig that runs smooth and you decide to get a conversion make sure you check every time you shoot and look for abnormal wear. I'm sure if you would have checked sooner you could have avoided it getting in the current state of wear.

Reactions: Mills

· Registered
1,400 Posts
Call Sig. They are great at taking care of a problem. Welcome from the Lone Star State

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is your problem...an ill fitting upper. I know it's your 220 and I know you said it's a Sig rimfire conversion, but I'd never consider making my .45 a .22 LR, you want that get a dedicated rimfire it's not like you only have one handgun. I know this is being critical, don't be offended, but anyone who reads this should learn that if you have a Sig that runs smooth and you decide to get a conversion make sure you check every time you shoot and look for abnormal wear. I'm sure if you would have checked sooner you could have avoided it getting in the current state of wear.
Not offended and thanks for your critique! Yeah, the rimfire conversion may have been in poor judgement. It's not like I don't have several Rugers and a S&W 41 and a couple of wheel guns for rimfire.
As previously stated, I always lube my ways and barrel with grease prior to a range session. Grease would be either TC25b or Lucas gun grease. I understand greasing guns, I also shoot Garands.
Thanks for your replys.
Chris

· Premium Member
16,864 Posts
Chris
Absolutely not. I run two conversion kits on my P220's to help new shooters get started with a full-size firearm that doesn't beat them up.

This has nothing to do with the conversion kit that I can see.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I talked to SIG this morning. Not sure how I feel about our conversation. I sent them the same picture I posted here plus two more. SIG says this could be normal wear for a gun this old. Seems my gun is from 2008. I pointed out that I had two older SIG "P" pistols that were not this worn. I also said that I purchased it new and round count was 1k or less. He offered for me to send it in and explained the $55 dollar deal. He also said the gunsmith would probably see this as normal wear.
The guy was super nice but at this point, I'm not sure what I am going to do.
Thanks everyone for your help.
Chris

· Premium Member
16,864 Posts
Call them back. As to speak with a supervisor and plead your case again to someone with some authority.

Ask for the call tag. Send it in. Let them go over the gun an determine the cause. This is not normal, and Sig is usually better about checking out original owner guns. $55 - uh, no thanks. Fix my gun under the lifetimes warranty I paid for when I bought the gun.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.