SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

Should I? (a trade question)

3K views 45 replies 32 participants last post by  gumbygee 
#1 ·
Need some thoughts from the pool on maybe picking up a P229 Legion...but with a trade option twist.

So I have an old (ish) '79 model 1955 S&W chambered from the factory in 45LC with a 6.5" barrel and target grips. Very light use- maybe 150-200 rounds total in its lifetime. After about 5 years of ownership, I don't ever shoot it- I received it from my dad, who never shot it but passed away about a year after he gave it to me "to hold onto for him"...he got it from the original owner, who hadn't fired it since 1980. I have other items from my dad- he was never really a gun guy but he did leave me this along with a couple of shotguns for my boys. He never fired any of them, and never really told me about them until he brought them over one day about a year before he passed.

I was never really into the 45LC unless it was a SAA or clone. The N frame, though beautiful in blued steel with walnut target grips, to me really shines in a 44mag, but otherwise I'm not attached to it and because my dad owned it for a very short time and never put rounds through it. I have no "memories" or sentimental value tied to it. It does, however, tie up space in the safe.

My LGS is interested in it- they know I'm interested in a P229 Legion and they offered to take it in on a partial trade. I'd be about $400+tax shy of even, though, and would either need to add cash or maybe offer them a second pistol in the form of a P320 Carry (non-X version) if they would take that. I have two P320 setups, so I wouldn't miss one of them if I needed to move it. That said, I also have a Mk25 with the SRT kit, so there wouldn't be a "ton" of difference between that and the 229 Legion aside from slide length and aesthetics. I carry a 365 in the summer and a 320 in the fall/winter, and sometimes will take the Mk25 off of house duty and carry it if I'm wearing heavier clothing/jackets.

If you're still with me after that novel, what would you do? Trade both the S&W and P320 for the 229 Legion? Trade one but not the other and make up the difference with cash? Skip the 229 altogether and just carry the 320 or the Mk25 in the fall/winter and find ways to start using the S&W?

I know, I know- it all comes down to personal preference and what speaks to me. But I'm curious- what would you do?

See less See more
#39 ·
Slow everything down.

This is not the last P229 Legion so even if you miss this one there will be plenty more of them for sale or trade. There is nothing special about THIS particular P229, but maybe there is something special about that particular .45 LC.

When I get it in my head that I want a particular pistol I tend to get tunnel vision. Gotta have it, gotta have it soon, gotta have it now. So I tend to overpay a little. But that's ok, it's only money. A couple hundred dollars is one thing, but giving up something that might have sentimental value is another.

There is wisdom in The Book of Things, Chapter 14. Don't give up a possibly special gun to get another that isn't so special. Slow it down, don't be afraid to miss this P229. Maybe the LGS will be willing to work it another way. If not, walk away and keep hunting for the Legion.

#43 ·
DON'T DO IT ! Sounds like something you will very much regret in the future. How many post have you read here "I wish I still had that one".

LGS offer sounds low anyway. Save up and get the P229 another way. Look for a better price on a P229.

How many gun nuts have you ever heard say "I wish I didn't have so many guns "

#46 ·
If you really want the p229 legion, go for it.
I agree with ya, we had 4 guns that my dad & I shot together and I have 2 of those and would give my left arm before parting with but he had 2 average guns in the safe that we never shot, never seen him handle them or talk about and have no connection or emotional ties to, so I understand what your saying, go for it, trade both.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.