SIG Talk banner

Should I? (a trade question)

1219 45
Need some thoughts from the pool on maybe picking up a P229 Legion...but with a trade option twist.

So I have an old (ish) '79 model 1955 S&W chambered from the factory in 45LC with a 6.5" barrel and target grips. Very light use- maybe 150-200 rounds total in its lifetime. After about 5 years of ownership, I don't ever shoot it- I received it from my dad, who never shot it but passed away about a year after he gave it to me "to hold onto for him"...he got it from the original owner, who hadn't fired it since 1980. I have other items from my dad- he was never really a gun guy but he did leave me this along with a couple of shotguns for my boys. He never fired any of them, and never really told me about them until he brought them over one day about a year before he passed.

I was never really into the 45LC unless it was a SAA or clone. The N frame, though beautiful in blued steel with walnut target grips, to me really shines in a 44mag, but otherwise I'm not attached to it and because my dad owned it for a very short time and never put rounds through it. I have no "memories" or sentimental value tied to it. It does, however, tie up space in the safe.

My LGS is interested in it- they know I'm interested in a P229 Legion and they offered to take it in on a partial trade. I'd be about $400+tax shy of even, though, and would either need to add cash or maybe offer them a second pistol in the form of a P320 Carry (non-X version) if they would take that. I have two P320 setups, so I wouldn't miss one of them if I needed to move it. That said, I also have a Mk25 with the SRT kit, so there wouldn't be a "ton" of difference between that and the 229 Legion aside from slide length and aesthetics. I carry a 365 in the summer and a 320 in the fall/winter, and sometimes will take the Mk25 off of house duty and carry it if I'm wearing heavier clothing/jackets.

If you're still with me after that novel, what would you do? Trade both the S&W and P320 for the 229 Legion? Trade one but not the other and make up the difference with cash? Skip the 229 altogether and just carry the 320 or the Mk25 in the fall/winter and find ways to start using the S&W?

I know, I know- it all comes down to personal preference and what speaks to me. But I'm curious- what would you do?
Reactions: Weez556 and hauki
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
.357 sig
1,292 Posts
I would not keep the caliber I was not interested in shooting. So I would trade the old 45, I’d probably keep the 320 because they are so versatile and I think if it was me, I would add cash for the 229. My personal choice is that I would carry a 229 over a 320 any day. Do yourself a favor and get a 357 Sig barrel for one of those.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I did a quick search and the 1955 S&W are going for about $880-$1200. It sounds like they are putting you on the short end for a trade-in, especially if it is in very good condition. You can always take a picture of it to remember that it was from your father. Per your post it doesn't sound like it is an old family heirloom that you would be getting rid of. I'd move it with cash.

The P320 FCU is valuable in that you can make it into different sizes, shapes, length, calibers, etc. Plus if you already have a holster(s) you are out that money if you get rid of the P320. Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Personally ....
"I received it from my dad, who never shot it but passed away about a year after he gave it to me "to hold onto for him"

I'd hold on to it for HIM, that is what he wanted, that's my opinion worth just what you paid for it. course that's me.

I'll not sure of the Smith's value, if it a S&W Model of 1955 Target it could be a grand or maybe way more,

but your LGS knows, he's sure not going to lose $$$

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did a quick search and the 1955 S&W are going for about $880-$1200. It sounds like they are putting you on the short end for a trade-in, especially if it is in very good condition. You can always take a picture of it to remember that it was from your father. Per your post it doesn't sound like it is an old family heirloom that you would be getting rid of. I'd move it with cash.

The P320 FCU is valuable in that you can make it into different sizes, shapes, length, calibers, etc. Plus if you already have a holster(s) you are out that money if you get rid of the P320. Good luck!
They are on the lower end, which is expected since it's a brick and mortar with margins to make, but I would also be saving money on the trade by reducing my overall taxes paid...I would only pay taxes on the net difference between the agreed upon price of the P229 and the trade value, if that makes sense. And it's not pristine, but I'd say it's 90% or better especially given its age. Add the not having to deal with shipping or emails/phone calls/tire kickers, and it comes out to about the same as if I were to sell it to an individual.

I have two 320s...so I'd still be able to use all of my holsters/accessories for the other one if I moved one.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Personally ....
"I received it from my dad, who never shot it but passed away about a year after he gave it to me "to hold onto for him"

I'd hold on to it for HIM, that is what he wanted, that's my opinion worth just what you paid for it. course that's me.

I'll not sure of the Smith's value, if it a S&W Model of 1955 Target it could be a grand or maybe way more,

but your LGS knows, he's sure not going to lose $$$
Well, by "hold onto it" he meant while he was in the middle of moving. He was downsizing his place and didn't have a safe, and knew I did. I don't think anyone was expecting his health to deteriorate as quickly as it did after that. But I do get your point.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking at your post count, I am confused as to why you haven’t listed it on SigTalk. Unless your LGS is a very good friend, I would think that you could sell it for more.

I don’t sell, but I have made a number of trades over the years. They were all in my favor. YMMV
I thought about listing it. But I'm not one who likes to mess with shipping or deal with a bunch of tire kicking. I have done that on local sites a few times and it always ends up being more of a hassle than I wanted. I know, SigTalk patrons are a cut above in most cases, but generally speaking I prefer to stay local and I visit my LGS every other week or so and like to keep them in business when I can.

·
Super Moderator - 🎖USN Veteran
987 Posts
I read it recently...In the "Book of Things", Ch.14, Page 3,452, it clearly states "Don't ever get rid of guns, instead add to the collection".

I would keep Dad's gun and also NOT get rid of the 320. Save up the pennies and get your 229 Legion. My dad gave me a small 22 revolver...he never shot it...he gave it to me to keep. I got rid of it a looong time ago as I was not shooting then. I didn't regret it for decades and now it bothers the heck out of me. Personal issue here, of course...YMMV.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd keep the revolver and trade both of your plastic pieces in for the 229.
That thought crossed my mind, and I'm not opposed to it. But then I wouldn't have a plastic piece for those situations where I want an inexpensive/don't mind if anything happens to it mid-sized pistol that shoots and carries very well. Sometimes I just like having the 320 because I know the weather is going to suck and it doesn't mind taking a beating. I also have a slide with a Romeo1pro on it that I use for fun at the range and may use it in competition down the road if I ever get back into IDPA.

The revolver, more than likely, will continue to take up space in the safe. I thought about getting a good BBQ holster/belt rig for it, but those take months to custom order from the leather craftsmen around me and are quite pricey for something I'd wear maybe once a year.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I read it recently...In the "Book of Things", Ch.14, Page 3,452, it clearly states "Don't ever get rid of guns, instead add to the collection".

I would keep Dad's gun and also NOT get rid of the 320. Save up the pennies and get your 229 Legion. My dad gave me a small 22 revolver...he never shot it...he gave it to me to keep. I got rid of it a looong time ago as I was not shooting then. I didn't regret it for decades and now it bothers the heck out of me. Personal issue here, of course...YMMV.
This is another great option. It would mean having more redundancies and cartridges, which goes against my simplification/consolidation preference, but it also means that there's more to pass on to my boys and their kids down the road (WAAAAAAYYYY down the road).

·
Registered
253 Posts
45 years ago, when I was 12, my father gave me my first gun. A 22 rifle. Today, I still have it.
Out of the 20 or so firearms in my safe, this one is my most treasured.

When I'm gone, it will go to my son, and he can pass it down to his kids and grandkids.
Hopefully my great, great, great, grandkids whom I will never get to meet will cherish this gun as much as I did when I was a kid.

·
Super Moderator
2,172 Posts
I would not go for the dealer's offer. It's too low for a high condition 1955 vintage N frame.

If you must part with it, consider consigning it for a 15% fee below the actual retail value of the revolver.

My personal recommendation would be to keep it, and save your money to acquire the P229. If you must sell one of the P320s, consider consigning it for a 15% consignment fee also.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am pretty big on sentimentality. If this gun were something your dad cherished and shot a lot, shared time with you shooting it, sure, I’d say keep it and pass it on. However, it sounds more like he made an investment if he wasn't into shooting it, perhaps bought it because the previous owner never shot it or maybe he was helping a friend out. Whatever. But now, maybe he’s helping you out by giving you a means to get something that you want and will use. Perhaps you will spend time shooting with your kids. And those memories with those firearms are what you will want to pass on.

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
You do what's right for you. If it's a caliber you don't care for, and if I understand correctly neither your dad nor yourself are particularly sentimentally attached to it. Then it is nothing more than an investment at this point. When and if you choose to cash in on that investment depends on your financial status, and available real estate in your safe. But as others have said, it's definitely important to know the value so you get the maximum return in whatever you decide to do.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts