SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Probably many topics on the subject but would like some newer input regarding 12g home defense shot guns. I have spent months researching and am overwhelmed by the sheer number of the supposedly reliable choice's. I have finally narrowed it down to the ..Benelli m2 vs m4,whats the difference besides inertia and gas systems and any other factors that separate the 2 models? DP12..is it really that good? Mossberg 590 and 930 tactical(tried and proven systems but mixed reviews?)(Remington Marine
Defender). I'm looking for semi auto no fail system, but will settle for a pump if its more reliable.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The 590A1 is about as good as it gets in a pump action. I used one for years without a single issue. I'm currently running a 930 SPX hard to see how it holds up. So far so good and no issues to report in about 500 rounds.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,597 Posts
gp226, I don't think there is such a thing as a "semi auto no fail system". It's not so much the firearm, as the ammunition. Too many variables!
Pumps on the whole are simpler, and more forgiving!
Both the Mossberg 500/590, and Remington 870 have been chosen by LE agencies for decades.
Plus there are several aftermarket options available for both buttstock and forearm replacements, more "tacticool", and useful for home defense (Forearm mounted lights, Pistol gripped collapsible M4 style buttstocks).

Reactions: MrMcGoo and dmspec

·
Registered
208 Posts
For what it is worth - Winchester also has a Marine Defender. I have one set up for home defense. It is a pump action though. Sorry - probably adds to the list rather than helps you narrow.

·
Banned
4,502 Posts
If you are going to buy a semi auto shotgun you absolutely cannot go wrong with anything made by Benneli. In my opinion they have some of the best shotguns on the planet. There are differences between the M2 and M4 a big one being inertia vs gas/piston and all kinds of opinions why one is better than the other. There are other differences too but both are great guns. You would just have to decide which one works for you. The M2 will cost less than the M4 but both are fairly pricey vs a pump. As Willard said, any semi auto has more potential for failure versus a pump shotgun. The 870 is the gold standard of pumps. Or I should say the standard by which every other pump shotgun is measured. I use shotguns more than any other type gun and have done so for more than 45 years and you just can't beat the 870 for reliability and durability. I wouldn't mind having an M4 but at $1,899 they are just too expensive. Instead I got a tactical version of the 870 that cost me about $400. It's a sweet gun and completely reliable.

Reactions: Jedi5150 and DBS

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Go buy an older well used and well maintained 870 , 500 or 1200 and your in great shape . You may want to buy a used barrel cut the barrel to 18.5inch as most were hunters guns and its nice not to have chop your only barrel .. The quality and function of any of the older guns will be far smooth than current look a likes . The winny 1200 need no trigger reset to fire again . Hold the trigger back rack the slide forward and it fires . Man can you get some rounds out of the barrel quickly .

Pump shotguns are reliable .

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have Mossberg 930 JM Pro. Very nice shotgun, holds 10 rounds and have not had the first hiccup with it. I have shot various makes of ammo and it shot them all. For the price I went with Mossberg and so far I'm very happy. :)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
One of the best inexpensive home defense shotguns is the Maverick 88 made by Mossberg. Nice 18 or 20'' barreled pump shotgun. Both my son and I have them.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Between the M2 and M4 my preference would be for the M2. Partly because you can find one significantly cheaper than an M4 and I actually like the inertia action on the M2. I had a field model that I used for sporting clays and it ran like a top.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Anyone considering the new Mossberg 590 Shockwave? I saw one at a gun show last week and it looked interesting. Seems like an easy gun to handle in a home defense situation. Also it works with the mini shell adapter lowing recoil and it raises round count. There is a good review on Youtube by Jeff Quinn.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I have a Remington 870. Unlike handguns--I have no desire of another model. It meets ALL my home defense needs. Others likely disagree and I have other shotguns in my safe. But ONE of my collection is "my man", and it is an 870 Tactical.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
I hate to respond with a new option that you didnt ask about what so ever byt you should get a saiga and get the kushnapup kit for it ......... i have no reason to tell you that expect for how cool it is ..... you could justify it by saying you want alot more shell capacity?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Benilli M2

I bought an M2 Tactical several years ago and love it. Shortly after I bought it I took a shotgun course at Sig Sauer Academy. Most attendees used Mossberg pumps supplied by Sig. There were numerous problems with the Mossbergs including short stroking and jams (maybe due to poor maintenance). Mine eats everything I feed it including low brass 7/8th oz target shot. I was one of three who took the course who had no problems running my gun. Not worrying about short stroking was one reason I bought the M2.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
You say you will settle for a pump if they're more reliable, and IMO they are.

So: Remington 870 Police. And you won't be settling.

Reactions: GCBHM and animalhd1

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the number of quality responses. I shouldn't of said no fail..as that's impossible. Being as this will be my first and more than likely only shotgun I suppose I should of included the question of benefits of pump vs semi auto Gas vs inertia? It seems to me from my research that although semi-autos are not as reliable as pump action's, common sense tells me that however rare it maybe, in any high stress situation doing away with an extra step(pump) eliminates another step/chance of failure to send lead down range? Gas is dirtier and negates kick vs inertia which runs clean. Enlighten me further if any would care to take the time and so far I'm seeing the Remington 870 as being the gold standard. Which wasn't even on my radar. Appreciate the input on and will look into it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was settled on a new m2 or a used m4 but due to the overwhelming response related to the 870 its back to boards and more research. Thanks all, really appreciate the input.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Thanks for the number of quality responses. I shouldn't of said no fail..as that's impossible. Being as this will be my first and more than likely only shotgun I suppose I should of included the question of benefits of pump vs semi auto Gas vs inertia? It seems to me from my research that although semi-autos are not as reliable as pump action's, common sense tells me that however rare it maybe, in any high stress situation doing away with an extra step(pump) eliminates another step/chance of failure to send lead down range? Gas is dirtier and negates kick vs inertia which runs clean. Enlighten me further if any would care to take the time and so far I'm seeing the Remington 870 as being the gold standard. Which wasn't even on my radar. Appreciate the input on and will look into it.
Semi-auto is certainly faster and perhaps more reliable. Gas being dirty is moot (the Benelli Intertia system is basically self-cleaning used for rentals which says something right there). I'd call it more reliable personally but YMMV. I'm going by sporting clays & 3-gun where the shotguns is see people fumble with are pump, often problems after ejection picking up the next round. If you short stroke the pump under duress that's another problem.

LPD often buy based on cost & "safe purchase" not what is 100% most ideal.

There is no right answer here only what you're comfortable with. Look from a fresh set of eyes not "i used one for 20 years" or youtube geek-it-out video is my advice.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
For the best home defense shotgun, I would buy a Remington 870 Police Magnum. I saw one this weekend with wooden furniture and an 8 round sleeve, which is perfect for home defense. In fact, I put one on layaway this weekend! Forget autoloaders for this purpose. Yes, they can be fired at faster rates of speed, but that isn't really what you're looking for in a home defense shotgun. Yes, many of the autoloaders are very reliable, which is always good, but many are also considerably more expensive, and more difficult, to maintain in terms of parts and design. Pumps are really the best way to go, so, unless you just want an autoloader, I would stick with a pump gun.

One really popular shotgun, as mentioned, is the Mossberg 590A1; however, I do not recommend this gun to anyone. In fact, I recommend skipping the Mossberg line of shotguns altogether due to a design flaw they all share, which is a problem the manufacturer is aware of, and currently has no plan to rectify. The issue is the loader arms, which attach up inside the frame via pins roughly a 1/4" in diameter, will pop out of place if/when the shotgun is dropped on its side from a distance of only a foot off the ground. I saw it on a youtube video and tried to duplicate it on the 590A1 I owned at the time, and as sure as God made green apples, it did it. In fact, it did it just about every time I dropped the gun from only a foot off the ground.

It is easily popped back into place just by wiggling the pump back and forth a little, but if you force it in an attempt to fully charge the shotgun the pump will jam leaving you stuck. I contacted the Mossberg, who informed me they were aware of the rare problem, and they asked me to ship the gun to them at no expense to me so they could fix it. It took them roughly a month to get it back to me, but, although the problem didn't happen as often, it would still happen about half the time. So I took the gun back to my LGS and traded it for something else. This, as I understand it, is not as rare as Mossberg led me to believe. I've talked with others who have experienced the problem as well. As far as the gun functioning, these guns operate very well, and, outside this one design flaw, are reliable guns. Just don't drop it if you ever get in a situation where you need to use it to defend yourself.

All that to say this. Just buy the Remington 870P Magnum and be done with it. It is the best shotgun on the market, especially for the money, and you will not be disappointed. If you have money to burn then look at the Benelli, Beretta and FN. Any of those will serve you well, but if you just want a solid shotgun for a reasonable price, get the 870.

Reactions: Jedi5150 and DBS
1 - 20 of 63 Posts