SIG Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased a couple of P226 ASE 9mm, a P229 ASE 9mm and P229 Platinum Elite 9mm.

I purchased SIG threaded barrels for one P226 and the P229 ASE. Today I went to the range to test out my new barrels with defensive ammo and the ammo that I will use with my suppressor.

Ammo tested was: Hornady Critical Defense 115gr, IMI 158 gr, Winchester 147 gr, and Lawman 147 gr.

P226: no malfunctions with any ammo. This gun was so smooth and soft shooting and was a joy to shoot.

P229: started with my defensive ammo and twice the round didn't want to fully chamber. So I ran the Winchester, Lawman, and IMI ammo through it with no malfunctions. Put the mag back in that had the Hornady Critical Defense and it ran fine.

Typical senior moment: I didn't switch out the piston on my suppressor for my SIG barrels and so I couldn't test out the guns suppressed!!!! It still had the 1/2 x 36 TPI fixed piston in it from shooting my 9mm Tavor SARs. I'll go back next week to shoot suppressed.

Overall, love love love my Sigs.

Note: I lubed the rails as outlined in the Sticky. Never greased rails quite like that before but it seems to work well. I used Weapon Shield grease. I have a few other brands such as Gun Butter that I will also use and then decide which one I'll stick with.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What took so long? I keep asking myself that!!! I just have to get these old bones up and moving around...LOL.

I purchased a 3 year membership at a new range so I need to go as much as possible to get the most out of the membership fee.

I'm going to try to go 2-3 times a week. Unfortunately my 9mm ammo stash is small compared to my .223 ammo/22LR stockpile so I try to only shoot 100-200 rounds of 9mm each range session. That's not much, especially when taking my 9mm SARs.

I love the size of the P229 but the P226 is my favorite at the range. I can't tell you how much I like the P226 ASE. The SRT is great, making double taps easy to stay on target.

·
Registered
21,582 Posts
Glad you had a good time!

A P226 was my first SIG and the P226 is still my favorite model SIG. I shoot it better than any other model.

Congrats on a fine set of pistols.

I know what you mean about getting the old bones up and going. My health sucks and I suffer chronic pain. I have to prep all my gear and load my mags on one day and hope I'll feel like driving across county to the range the next day. Between health and work, I'm not able to do it enough to make a membership worth it. :(

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel for ya, sorry about your ills. I have severe degenerative disc disease (stenosis, bulging discs, bone spurs in nerve canals, bone on bone) as well as horrible arthritis!!! I only last about an hour at the range and have to limit the number of guns I drag along. I also preload mags and get my gear ready in advance (well except I forgot to swap out my suppressor piston).

I joined the range to sort of force myself to get out and go. It's only 4 miles away so the drive isn't a factor.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Glad you had a good time!

A P226 was my first SIG and the P226 is still my favorite model SIG. I shoot it better than any other model.

Congrats on a fine set of pistols.

I know what you mean about getting the old bones up and going. My health sucks and I suffer chronic pain. I have to prep all my gear and load my mags on one day and hope I'll feel like driving across county to the range the next day. Between health and work, I'm not able to do it enough to make a membership worth it. :(
I feel for you Ballistic. I no longer plan my days ahead of time. Rolling out of bed in the AM ususlly determines my day. I've only got a half-hour drive to my club but since I don't go often enough I try to bring everything. On the positve side, membership is $10. a year for seniors

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Dang, I have a P226-40 SSE that I'v had for at least six months and haven't fired yet. I need to make a range date.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Obviously Mr QBTOO from the great state of Texas is a quick study - Nice pics!!

Here's MK25D with Osprey45, a very smooth shooter

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Obviously Mr QBTOO from the great state of Texas is a quick study - Nice pics!!

Here's MK25D with Osprey45, a very smooth shooter

Cheers
Great looking gun. I was thinking of a MK25 but love beavertails so I'm on the fence.

And I'm "Ms QBToo"....LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts