SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

I actively shot call when dry or live firing.

• Yes

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • No

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • What is shot calling?

Votes: 3 16.7%

Shot Calling

1K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  cremaley 
#1 ·
This is such an important yet rarely discussed marksmanship related shooting skill, that I felt it warranted a thread to discuss.

Shot calling is where we visually gather data from our sight picture (irons or red dots) as we press the trigger through to ignition in order to determine where we hit the target without having to actually look at the target to see where we impacted it.

This skill provides two benefits:

1) It helps us with self awareness and self assessment related to trigger control and our ability to maintain (or not) the sight picture during the trigger press.

2) It saves us the time and effort of having to visually dismount from our sight picture to then look at the target to see where we hit, and then remount our sight picture.

On a side note, one of my concerns with dry fire aides such as the Mantis or lasers, is that they have the potential to distract the user from gathering visual data and developing shot calling skills.

So to the audience: how much training do you have with shot calling and is this something you routinely practice when dry or live firing?

See less See more
#2 ·
As K knows, we did a shot calling exercise in our recent class with Tim Herron. It was very interesting to compare where we thought we hit vs. where we did.

Especially for USPSA, we should be shooting at Shot Calling speed. Steve Anderson’s books also deal with this as well.

#3 ·
I think people come with different names, for things we already do. One of the most important things that I achieve, when punching holes in paper, is the ability to know where I hit without looking at each shot. No one that I shoot with, on a regular basis, stops to look at each shot.

#5 ·
I sometimes set up paper targets for .22's, several small circles (9-12). And then try to hit the circles in order. Or play tic-tac-toe. I can't think that I've ever been able to hit them all in order. I have to be pretty close, closer than 10 yards, and more like 5 yards to have a chance.

#6 · (Edited)
IMO if you can call your shot and do it somewhat consistent. You probably do not have a very good follow through on shots. Then probably not the best groups or hits on target.
I try to explain it to people that don't seem to understand "call your shot". It's just like in many sports or task. Like if you throw a baseball or in bowling. As soon as the ball leaves your hand you know you did it right or wrong and the ball is going exactly where you want it to go. Or you messed up and that's off to the left or right.
The shoot and look method will mess you up and take focus away from front sight, sight picture and sight alignment.
Even when I have to qualify at work. It's starts at very close range 3 yards and only ends still at close range IMO. But I know even if I pull one of my 2 shots in drawing from the holster in 3 seconds.

#10 ·
I learned to do this years ago when I was new to bullseye shooting. As Sig007 mentioned above, we also use the term "call your shot". In practice, I take a shot and check the shot in my spotting scope. It is not something newer shooter can always do easily, but with practice it is another good tool.

Reactions: Sig007
#13 ·
I never thought you meant it was new. It's been around quite a while. I assume from bullseye, since for decades that was the only pistol game around (it's been around well over 100 years). Now there are many types of pistol matches. That's why bullseye is dying out; there are other matches that are way more fun, faster, require less accuracy, and not nearly as difficult to master. Also, in the other discipines, you can use both hands.

I actually thought the option What is shot calling? would have the most votes. Maybe those voting know about it and are voting. I'm guessing those that don't know about it would not look at this post. Just an idea, but I believe most shooters do not call their shots or even think about it.

Reactions: Sig007 and K4KXM
#12 ·
it's easy for me. on target on target shank on target... i seem to AWAYS shank the third round

#16 ·
Visual dismount is the same phenomenon that make you wonder if the light in the refrigerator really goes out when you close the door.

Like anyone who has played a game of 8 ball knows that slop shots are luck, not skill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.