SIG Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I started a thread on a West German P6 that I initially passed on and then went back and purchased. Here is that thread if you are interested:

http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-pistols/185274-passed-p6-should-i-go-back.html

The P6 that I purchased has some obvious wear issues (as you can see in the photos), but let me tell you, it has been a real joy to shoot, and the rails on the frame don't show a whole lot of wear. This gun is dated 1981. I still haven't shot it as much as I want to due to time considerations, but in the 5 days I have had gotten around 320 or so rounds through the gun. I started off with round nose to make sure the gun functions. It did. I was plinking 8 inch steel at 15 yards pretty consistently. The next time out I took some 124 grain gold dots and some 124 grain SIG hollow point ammo with with along with some of my reloads.

With the gold dots I had 1 failure to feed while using a promag and that is it (The gun was also getting pretty dirty at this point as well). The gun was not so fond of the SIG ammo out of the factory mag or the promag. To be fair, my brand new P239 does not like the Sig ammo either. I have read where others have posted about how wide the opening is, but I digress.

The gun had no issues with my reloads. I reload 125 grain bullets from thebluebullets.com. I run a pretty light load, loading near minimum (4 grains HP38 at about 1.14 OAL if my memory serves correctly). It is very soft shooting. The gun ate those like candy. There was only one hiccup, and again, it was out of the promag.

Overall I am very pleased with this gun. I found some used factory P225 (original not A1) mags that I have ordered. The link for those is on the other thread I linked above. I haven't received them yet, but when I do I will run some ammo through them. I expect that they will run better than the promag.

If you are still with me at this point then I thank you. I am almost done. The only other consideration I have with this gun is sending it to SIG to be refinished and get the package that replaces springs and other small parts and adds the night sights, if they do that for this gun. Has anyone sent a P6 to them for this work? For both services it would nearly double what I have in the gun. I'm not totally sold that it's worth it, but if I hope to carry this gun some...night sights...

Again, thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings.

Attachments

Reactions: rmak and FLASIG

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I wouldn't reblue it if I were you. The gun's wear gives it character. Plus, SIG won't do your frame, so you'll have a perfect looking slide on top of a frame with character. Save your money, IMO.

If you want night sights, the SIG Service Plan is an excellent idea for a newly-acquired, used gun. SIG sometimes runs specials around Father's Day, so maybe hold off a little bit if you can.

·
Premium Member
16,898 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't [and haven't on mine] change a thing if that were mine. Depending on what you want the gun for, you *might* consider lightening the trigger if it's still that factory/LE 9 million pound trigger pull...:rolleyes:

Understand, I'm not speaking from experience with your gun - mine is a lot newer than your old junk - mine being a 9/82.

This one has @ 2K through it. Great shooter that eats anything I stuff in it.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
The only other consideration I have with this gun is sending it to SIG to be refinished and get the package that replaces springs and other small parts and adds the night sights, if they do that for this gun. Has anyone sent a P6 to them for this work?
I'd be curious what SIG does as far as spring/ pin replacement on the stamped steel SIGs. The reason I say this is that they evidently have none of the springs/ pins to sell, as when I called and asked for some for my P226 they said they had none, and to try Brownells. I guess it's possible they have such a small amount that they keep them all for service work, and not for resale.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I guess it's possible they have such a small amount that they keep them all for service work, and not for resale.
That's very possible. From what I understand, that is what they're doing with internal extractors.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd be curious what SIG does as far as spring/ pin replacement on the stamped steel SIGs. The reason I say this is that they evidently have none of the springs/ pins to sell, as when I called and asked for some for my P226 they said they had none, and to try Brownells. I guess it's possible they have such a small amount that they keep them all for service work, and not for resale.
When I've looked at places like Top Gun Supply it seems like a lot of the parts they sell are interchangeable with other P series guns. Maybe that is how they do it?

·
Registered
21,114 Posts
First off, Congrats on the P6. I love mine. I've actually got 2 P225's and 1 P6. Second, toss that Promag--they are junk.

As far as work to it, you really can do it yourself. There's nothing hard about the P225/P6, or any SIG for that matter. I upgraded mine to the new style mainspring assembly (this requires a small grip modification, and changed all the springs. The only refinishing I'd probably do is maybe having SIG reblue the slide if you send it in for other work.

When I've looked at places like Top Gun Supply it seems like a lot of the parts they sell are interchangeable with other P series guns. Maybe that is how they do it?
I think SIG saves discontinued parts for repairs. A few years ago I sent my 1981 P225 to them because the slide was cracked. I was able to buy a new complete slide as a replacement, but they wouldn't sell it outright. This is probably the same for internal extractors, and other hard to find parts.

I got crazy on my P6, but it started out life as a non-functioning P6 trainer so I had no choice to replace parts. I had lots of spare parts, anyway.

Here's mine before and after:

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,263 Posts
Congratulations on getting it, and as far as refinishing it, since the slide is all that they will do, you can try a little cold bluing, as I did on my P6, by using Brownell's Oxpho Blue crème, and 0000 steel wool. It will provide a level of protection, and doesn't look bad.

Some are, but for instance, getting a "Parts Kit" for the P225, will get you inner and outer pins to secure the breechblock in the slide, a recoil spring, trigger bar spring, slide catch lever spring, and new set of grip screws. Just make sure it is for the P225, and not the A1... it should be "225-9-PKIT", with the UPC of 798681254538.

To lessen your double action trigger pull a bit, an appropriate Wolff mainspring of 19# (#28319) would be lighter, but should remain reliable, or their "Reduced Power" Hammer Spring Pak of 4 springs (16#, 17#, 18#, and 19#) #26575.

As bearone2 stated, replacing the "whole" mainspring assembly (strut, spring, and seat) will seem smoother, due to the metal strut "not" passing through a metal "hole" (the seat) possibly causing some friction or bumps at high spots.

If you order a replacement mainspring of lower weight from Wolff, you may also want to throw in some replacement 5% "extra power" magazine springs, one for each used OEM magazine (#75061/each, #75063/3 Pak, #75064/10 Pak).

Good luck, and enjoy your new acquisition!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.