SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure as most of us can remember of plinking and target shooting as a sport and pass time when we were growing up. Whit the price of ammo these days I think this sport is just going to be a memory. With target ammo between .30 &.40 cents a round there are not too many folks willing to spend $200-$ 300 for an after noon of putting holes in paper.
Some folks think prices will drop when the need slows down. I say it's just like taxes, in that once it goes up that is where it stays at best. Will not ever see it come down.
One question that I have is this, Is the rest of the world paying high like we are. I'm not talking about the extra that the government add for taxes.Here in America I think the manufactures have the prices jacked more that the taxes have. All the manufactures claim they are production maxed out + 2 and 3 shifts. I find this hard to believe as the shoot ranges are empty in comparison to 3-4 years ago.
These days I have to be very careful of practice shooting, no wasted non productive shooting and concentration on self defense shooting. Rifle shooting at $1.00 a round adds up damn fast.
Ya'll say what?

·
Premium Member
2,107 Posts
It will take me years to shoot all the .22 I have on hand and as Dumb said pellet guns are good shooting too. I bought this pistol last year for well under $300.00 and it's a hoot to shoot. Deadly accurate and easy to shoot. And I can shoot 10 yards in my basement. Pellets are pretty cheap too ... I bought up several thousand pellets for just a few bucks ... some are SIGs too. The grip is over molded and can easily be Dremeled to custom fit your hand.

Air Venturi V10 Match 177 Caliber Pellet Air Pistol

Air Venturi V10 Match

·
Premium Member
2,107 Posts
The availability and price of ammo is one of the reasons I only buy 9mm pistols.
Also, one of the reasons I reload a lot of .38 spec. ... they don't take a lot of powder to make good range ammo, they're really accurate, you don't have to chase the brass all over the range and I stocked up on all the components before the prices went crazy. And it's a plus that I can shoot them in my .38s and .357s. Great for punching paper or ringing steel plates.

·
Registered
492 Posts
For me, shooting is not a hobby or pastime. I go to the range to practice, because I CC and have a HD pistol. So, the (now) couple of dozen rounds I shoot every three or four weeks I go have a range session, are simply what I require to remain be reasonably proficient.

Luckily, I am still shooting ammo I purchased at pre-election/pandemic prices. I am shooting fewer rounds each session, though, to help stretch my small supply.

rx7sig

·
Registered
54 Posts
Pellet guns are the way go. Trigger time is trigger time, and some of my best purchases from the past couple years have been pcp guns. They are also decent at taking down small game, and some of the higher end models have very nice triggers.

·
Registered
23,123 Posts
For me, shooting is not a hobby or pastime. I go to the range to practice, because I CC and have a HD pistol. So, the (now) couple of dozen rounds I shoot every three or four weeks I go have a range session, are simply what I require to remain be reasonably proficient.

Luckily, I am still shooting ammo I purchased at pre-election/pandemic prices. I am shooting fewer rounds each session, though, to help stretch my small supply.

rx7sig
That's kind of like me.
Between work, my health problems, and.my wife's health problems, I don't get.to shoot anywhere near as much as I should. So when I am able to go, I practice with my defensive guns.
Maybe, if I live long enough, and I retire, I can have the plinking days return.

But right now, quality .45ACP 230gr FMJ is still $500-$600 and .40S&W 180gr FMJ isn't much better. So even my practice tends to be more 9mm.

The "duopoly" of Vista and Olin will make sure prices stay considerably higher than the were before, no matter how much improvement is made in the supply chain of raw materials and components.

I have no desire to make the substantial investment in reloading, I don't have the time to learn how, there will still be issues getting components, and my back can't handle sitting (or standing) long enough to crank out enough to matter. Would rather buy ammo and spend the time I would have spent reloading, doing something better, like shooting.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
I got my hands on P220 and P229 .22lr conversion kits and I have my eye out for a 226, so plinking is still an option (if I think of the money the kits cost as another gun). I like that I can maintain the manual of arms and fire cheaper ammo if I’m just shooting for fun.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I agree , me a friend used to go shooting every Sunday and blow through 250...300 rounds each at the pistol range, then we would go to over to the rifle or shotgun range and shoot a while there.
Due to the prices of ammo these days we only go about once a month and only shoot a hundred or a hundred and fifty rounds. Its just not that fun when you have to count each round...
There used to be a bunch of guys at each of the ranges all day, now we only see a few guys at each and they only stay a short time.
The indoor ranges in my area are also having a hard time, they used to be packed but nowadays are mostly empty.

To be honest I dont understand where all the ammo is going, its definitely not being shot at anywhere near the rate it was a few years ago. They say people are hoarding but at these prices how much ammo can people afford to put on the shelf.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I decided a few years ago that casting and reloading was the only way to go given I liked to plink 44Mag and 45-70. Hard to justify plinking commercial ammo at $1 plus a round. But when you can reload for < 8 cents each it makes it that much more enjoyable to shoot a few rounds per session.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Conditions have come together to drive prices up on everything. Ammo is expensive to ship, and the price of gas has nearly doubled. Whether you believe it or not, the demand for ammo is very high. The country sold 1.75 million guns last month, and record sales have been ongoing. If every buyer bought two boxes of ammo....

Prices will fall. I've seen this happen repeatedly over my lifetime. Gun (and ammo) sales are pretty much on a four year cycle. If a pro second amendment administration is elected, sales drop. If not, they increase. Riots, rising crime, and other social disruptions further panic buying, increasing prices. I anticipate a slowing after the November elections, and prices will slowly edge downward. Currently, ammo selling 6 months ago for nearly 50 bucks is going for 20 to 25.

Breathe deep, play with 22's and pellet guns, and be patient. The market always regains stability.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I agree with Fred, the prices will come down. The companies can't prop them up if they are sitting on shelves and not moving. And they came down after the last shortage. A LONG way down.

But I also agree that at least some of the pressure on prices are folks that are stocking up well beyond what they shoot. That will eventually burn itself out though. And most of the first time firearms buyers will shoot a box or 5 and then pretty much stop. Might all take a while, but it'll come around IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
I generally shoot .22LR at the beginning of range sessions, and then switch to centerfire cartridge firearms for the finish. That adds recoil management and followthrough skills development in a second step that I focus on.

It also helps keep the cost of a range session under control.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In addtion to demand there is a shortage of raw materials. People not back to work, and a slow down in production of raw materials also contribute. Yesterday I heard the CPI showed an increase of 7% the highest in 40 years. Inflation is also contributing. All hobbies have expenses associated with them. Bass fishing? We were spoiled during the Trump administration with low ammo prices. I also believe that this cycle will change and prices will come back down until then things will be a bit more expensive. I won't be buying as many new guns but feeding those I already own.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I am standing in front of my indoor range with my wife right this minute. I reload and just choose to shoot less per visit but I still shoot often. Truth... By 50-75 rounds I am satisfied.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I still shoot three weekends out of four as it’s my hobby, my therapy, my fun, my vice, my SD practice. I still shoot 50-100 rounds of 9mm and countless rounds of .22LR. The .45 ACP I’ve cut back to 50.

I don’t shoot my AR as much, but when I do, it’s still 90-120 rounds as I’ve always done. AK is about same number of rounds.

I’ve adjusted my discretionary income to prioritize ammo. Not buying as many books as I used to for instance.

·
Premium Member
3,375 Posts
I shoot less but usually have a plan of what kind of drills I will do now instead of just throwing lead down range. I am not shooting as often either but need to make myself go shoot a handgun more often. I luckily had ordered bulk ammo right before the prices went crazy and have shot less except for two instances where I shot more than planned because I had my younger nephews and cousin with me

1 - 20 of 42 Posts