SIG Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on vacation and had the good fortune today to be able to shoot a fully auto M16. It has a quad rail but no forward grips on it. It didn't feel comfortable holding it by the rail so I put my support hand on the front of the magwell. Needless to say I could not hold on target for more than 3-4 rounds. Contrast this when shooting an Uzi I was able to empty a 25 round mag in one burst onto a torso target at 10 yards.

I got back to the hotel and was checking out the internets I am seeing that there a lot of reasons not to hold an AR by the magwell but it seems that most ARs with quad rails also have some sort of handgrip attached which the one I shot today did not. I think I will go back and shoot some more and want to do it right. Are quad rails meant to be gripped alone without attachments? What is the best way to grip it while on full auto? I want to replicate the Uzi feat of emptying a full mag while still on target.

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Quadrail Skin Graters are tacticool!

Operaterz wear them Tacticle Glovez fer th' Tacticle Railz :lol:

Or, you can slap on some rubber ladders...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rubber ladders are great and cheap.
It is a rental and I don't have access to transportation nor gun store. It's pretty Third World here but fully auto guns can be rented. Have to leave them at the range though. Carrying a weapon or even a single bullet is a very serious offense here.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well went back today and was able to get a decent grip on the quad rail. I don't know what I was afraid of LOL. This did help a bit and I was able to get more rounds off but not the full mag.

I did a bit of rough math though and don't feel too bad because according to my calculations the M16 should have 3 1/2+ times the recoil of an Uzi at full auto and at the same time the Uzi is actually a little bit heavier than the M16.

As an aside I was watching a show about New Mexico State CO's and when showing them dong the AR qualifier it looked like all but one were grabbing the magwell.

·
Banned
4,497 Posts
Angled foregrip. Is more comfortable to shoot with anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.