SIG Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a berm at the back of the property and occasionally have people over to shoot. I am paranoid about it and try to be responsible but after viewing this posting I am concerned...

http://sigtalk.com/guns/152434-amatuer-gunsmithing-gone-wrong.html

Everyone signs a release and there is a 'Shoot at Own Risk' sign posted, but any other suggestions?

:excl:It would be wise to get an emergency medical kit. I did a search here and didn't find anything on them. Any recommendations for contents, what/where to buy, or even a particular one to buy? Thanks.

· Registered
608 Posts
I keep a large blood clotting sponge/gauze, a roll up temporary splint, and what is called an Israeli Bandage, which is sort of a tourniquet.

I have one set that I keep in the bag that I carry my eye and ear protection that always goes with me wherever I shoot, rifle or handgun. I have a second set in my backpack that I always carry when deer hunting.

A local gun shop occasionally runs a first aid class, even covering treating yourself. I have not been able to schedule my time and their class together yet, but I do want to take it. Certainly others may have other suggestions, but having anything with you is better than nothing.

· Registered
407 Posts
You're never going to get a comprehensive medical kit without spending a gazillion $$$$. For the range, you surely need a trama kit.
I have found it's best to search the web for "preper" sites where they will have listings for med kit contents. Then I usually search Amazon for the best tourniquet, Israeli pressure bandages, etc. just a suggestion...
At the very least buy a couple $20-30 tourniquets. 1 for the range bag, 1 for the car. JMHO

Reactions: IANative and jerman

· Premium Member
1,442 Posts
I am a physician. During my training I had 3500 hours as an ER physician in small ERs. At age 18 I had a 10" skill saw kick back and open my left leg to the bone, my belt stopped the bleeding.

I always wear a belt which is emergency tourniquet #1 and always have a roll of electrical tape on hand.

It is amazing how much (minor / middling) hemorrhage I have stopped with electrical tape

· Registered
30 Posts
Is it factual that table sugar is a clotting agent ?

· Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
According to WikiHow, sugar (and corn starch) may be used to assist stopping minor bleeding. But for severe bleeding it says to use a bandage and apply direct pressure, and if the bleeding is life threatening then apply a tourniquet. Of course, it says getting help as quickly as possible is the most important factor as tourniquets applied incorrectly may be harmful.
If I find myself in that regrettable situation, I am most likely erring on the side of tourniquet application.

· Banned
5,101 Posts
Definitely a good idea to have a med kit and you can find some on-line or at stores like Bass Pro. Some good suggestions here, but you can look on-line for different kit options. In your case I would consider a larger kit just to be on the safe side. You never know when some freak accident will occur, and it would be better to have and not need than the alternative. You may also want to purchase an umbrella policy for your homeowners insurance as well. Posting shoot at your own risk signs may help to prevent some from filing suit, but you can rest assured that if someone is injured or killed on your property while shooting at a makeshift range you provided, you will be sued.

Reactions: jerman and Willard

· Registered
1,057 Posts
You can get a kit that is very elaborate and spend several hundreds of dollars or get something that is very basic with just a few items. I would think that a basic field kit would be appropriate for your needs. The most important thing to consider is not to buy something that is very complicated to use or that is difficult to understand. If you ever have to use something in the kit you must remember that stress levels could be very high and the simplest of steps will seem insurmountable. I would recommend taking a basic first aid/CPR course if you have not yet.....training and preparation is always key to success. It will also give you peace of mind. Good luck and stay safe.

· Registered
132 Posts
Someone mentioned that the prepper sites, which offer good lists of the few critical items to have in an emergency bag...generally they are the same things that we have in our Bug out bags in our cars. Some of the body armor sites also offer pre-packaged personal trauma kits.

Try Infidel Body Armor for their first aid kits, if only the see the items in their offerings. I haven't purchased first aid kits from them, but have purchased their core offerings and their service and shipping is very good.

· Registered
5,319 Posts

U be needing bullet.

And campfire.

Attachments

· Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am a physician. During my training I had 3500 hours as an ER physician in small ERs. At age 18 I had a 10" skill saw kick back and open my left leg to the bone, my belt stopped the bleeding.

I always wear a belt which is emergency tourniquet #1 and always have a roll of electrical tape on hand.

It is amazing how much (minor / middling) hemorrhage I have stopped with electrical tape
Thanks Philipl... I'll be adding a fresh roll of electrical tape to the range bag.
And funny you mention it, but I too nearly had an unfortunate circular saw accident one summer. the protective sheath was caught open and when I set the saw down on some plywood I was cutting it backed right into me. Fortunately it stopped when it hit me as it was headed for just above my thigh, if you get my drift.
Just remembered, the gunshop in town that I frequent is owned by a former corpsman. I will go in and talk to him about getting a good kit order for me.. but thanks for the tip about the belt. Just the kind of information needed when a high-stress, emergency situation hits. Thanks again!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.