SIG Talk banner

'Shaved' barrel hood?

6007 18
Hi All,

Picked up a used P229 in stainless...a 'legacy' model....

Only weird thing is, the top of the barrel hood/chamber looks like bare metal, as opposed to the blued rest of the barrel. At first I thought it was just finish wear, but upon closer inspection after cleaning, it almost looks as if someone actually filed or cut it down some.....

Compared to my P226 and P220, it looks like the area sits lower when in battery....like it was actually shaved down. Has anyone ever seen this? Should I be concerned? Haven't fired it yet.
Reactions: bearone2
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

馃帠USA Veteran
can you feel that it's been filed??

looks to be very clean, did you get the original case??

congratulations on a nice addition

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
can you feel that it's been filed??

looks to be very clean, did you get the original case??

congratulations on a nice addition
It does kinda' feel filed, like there's 'grain' going lengthwise.

Yes, I do have the original blue case.

Registered
Looks like the same wear pattern as I have on a few of my barrels, but extremely shiny... like someone took the metal polish to it.

Registered
My Nitron P229 has the same barrel (blue except for the hood), so I don't think there is anything remarkable about that.

The wear pattern on the top of the hood is equivalent to a barrel smile. It's where the hood interfaces with the slide during recoil.

Registered
As everyone says, normal.

You can help keep the top of the hood, and side too, looking good by making sure the inside of the slide where the barrel hood moves against, is smoothed, and then kept greased.

I experimented, doing engine turning on one hood, I like the look, but it's do doubt an acquired taste.

Engine turning, like other smooth but lightly textured metal surfaces that are lubricated, has less sliding friction than a polished surface - this is due to the surface texture carrying and retaining lubricant better than shiney.

This is a LEO trade in I've had for a few years ($449 shipped :c) ) a '99 vintage excellent gun.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh I grease the right spots on all my Sigs...it's just that this one seems markedly low in height and instead of just finish/bluing wear, it actually feels like someone filed it down. But maybe the last owner just didn't lube up there at all and the metal-to-metal just scraped away.

Registered
That's consistent with a number of older Sigs in my collection (top of barrel hood is shiny).

In that next to last pic, looks like you put Blackwood grips on it (or whatever they call them these days). Very nice!

Great pick-up! Congrats.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I went to a LGS earlier today that's also a Sig Elite dealer. Actually had a new P229 barrel on the shelves, and almost picked one up. But they also had an early P229 (that I was considering picking up a while back) so I looked at the barrel hood and yup, pretty much looked the same as the one on mine. Unfinished, 'shaved' looking, and low.

So I decided not to buy the new barrel because all I would be addressing is cosmetics in one little spot, and $169 is a bit too much to spend on that right now.

Took the gun to the range, and she shot great...dead-nuts-accurate...but I had a few FTF's. They would only happen with one of the mags..the one that came with the gun. The newer one I already had had no issues. Same hangup each time...slide would stay open and round wouldn't strip, would have to forcefully yank mag out of gun and slide would release. The top round wasn't halfway out so it didn't look like bad feed lips. While cleaning I took the mag apart (all 10-rounders) and cleaned. The mag in question still feels a bit clanky/binded compared to the newer mag. I'm hoping it's just this mag.

Registered
I just got a LEO trade in with a Legacy slide and no rail with the barrel looking identical to yours. The gun wasn't nearly as "purty" but the barrel wear was about the same. Congrats

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just got some medallions mounted in G10 grips by our very own member '34SF'. Love the way these look and feel. Was deciding between the P229ST and FrankenSig to put them on, but I like them better on the P229ST.

Reactions: JDC
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.