SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was inspired by Mills' post regarding his NM Garand, but didn't want to create the perception that I was thread-jacking, so rather than post in his thread I decided to create my own. Thanks for the inspiration, Mills! :)

I love, love, love my Garands. If I ever had to sell all of my guns, these would likely be among the last to go.

Some crappy old photos below, but you still get the idea. (Really should take some new pics of some of these rifles...) Most are CMP Service Grade rifles, some were purchased elsewhere.

1942 Winchester

1944 Springfield Armory

1953 IHC - yep, International Harvester. Love this Tractor Gun! :)

1954 HRA

While I love all of the rifles above, the one Garand in my collection that stands above the rest is my 1942 Springfield Armory rifle. I bought this Korean return in a local Seattle shop back in the early 90s. It was a complete dog - shot out barrel, missing parts, most of the finish gone, and the stock looked like it had been dragged down a gravel road for four days.

Here's what it looked like:

I decided that this old war horse deserved better, so I sent the rifle off to Dean Dillabaugh at DGR in Tennessee for a complete overhaul. Dean installed a new Wilson .30-06 barrel, all parts fully reparked, National Match trigger job, "Fancy" grade maple Wenig stock set with red stain, new springs, and a few other new parts that needed to be replaced. Yeah, it cost an arm and a leg, but I think it was well worth it... the results speak for themselves.

In fact, I thought this rifle was so gorgeous that when it came time to purchase a custom-built Aristocrat M THC humidor from Bob Staebell, I asked him to try to match the wood and finish of the humidor to this rifle. It's not a perfect match, but I'd say it's close enough considering he's in Texas and I'm in North Dakota, so we had to handle everything by email and sending wood samples back and forth. :)

Love my Garands!

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Very lovely collection. How does the '42 Winchester shoot these days?

Reactions: ptrthgr8

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very lovely collection. How does the '42 Winchester shoot these days?
Shoot like a dream. The '42 SA is the best shooter, but it's also the one that's not exactly as-issued. The HRA is probably the best shooter of the others, but they're all great shooters.

When I first got the Winnie, I had to take a pic of it with the Beagles. You can still see the CMP tag on the sling swivel. I refer to this pic as "1942 Winchester M1 Garand and Assault Beags." :)

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Shoot like a dream. The '42 SA is the best shooter, but it's also the one that's not exactly as-issued. The HRA is probably the best shooter of the others, but they're all great shooters.

When I first got the Winnie, I had to take a pic of it with the Beagles. You can still see the CMP tag on the sling swivel. I refer to this pic as "1942 Winchester M1 Garand and Assault Beags." :)

Very nice. Gotta get over to CMP this Summer.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Awesome collection and love the before and after shots of your masterpiece.

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
22,526 Posts
Most excellent collection Greg and thanks for sharing.
I never see any at my local range , I am an RO.
Day in and day out of AR's and tuperware handguns .
I have my fair share of those but there is nothing to equal steel and wood.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Beautiful. I had two collector grade Garands from CMP a few years ago.
One a 5.4 million range SA and another HR. Both were from around 55 or so.
Both unissued and as new with Collector grade certs. I paid like $2,000 each direct from the CMP. And loved having ups deliver them direct to me. Since they were still new I couldn't bring myself to shoot them so I sold each one QUICK on Gunbroker for $2750, buy now. Neither one lasted an hour and after that I knew I messed up. Now if you can find one similar they are $4-5,000. Oh well.....

·
Registered
493 Posts
Very nice rifles!
I had Dean rebuild a '42 Garand for me as well. He did outstanding work. It's a shame he has now passed but I hear the apprentice he trained ( a woman IIRC), does outstanding work as well.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,041 Posts
Greg, beautiful collection, you have got there. Your '42 Springfield is gorgeous with that Fiddleback Maple stock.

I know what you got, when you described you '42... Blue Sky Imports, Korean returns. I had to replace the barrels on both of mine, the results of corrosive primed ammunition.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very nice rifles!
I had Dean rebuild a '42 Garand for me as well. He did outstanding work. It's a shame he has now passed but I hear the apprentice he trained ( a woman IIRC), does outstanding work as well.
Yeah, Dean passed away in October '17. His wife (who co-founded DGR with him) passed in '12. He never really seemed the same after that (understandably) and he almost immediately started planning for the future. He trained Michelle for a couple of years and she was definitely ready to take over. I personally checked out one of the Garand builds she did under his tutelage right along side one of the Dean builds and, honestly, I couldn't tell the difference. She definitely had a great teacher, but she has some serious skill on her own.

Dean was my go-to guy for this sort of stuff. He also did some minor work on my 1944 Inland M! Carbine and also built an M14 kit for me - HRA parts kit, birch stock from Fred's, Fulton receiver, Barnett/Douglas medium weight barrel, reparked all the metal, finished the birch stock with his Type 2 finish, gave the trigger group a NM job.

I've not been acquiring the older guns as much in recent years, so I don't know if I'll be adding any more of these old war horses to the collection, but if I do, and I need some work done to them, I already know where they're being sent. I have full confidence in Michelle's ability to maintain the DGR reputation. :)

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Greg, beautiful collection, you have got there. Your '42 Springfield is gorgeous with that Fiddleback Maple stock.

I know what you got, when you described you '42... Blue Sky Imports, Korean returns. I had to replace the barrels on both of mine, the results of corrosive primed ammunition.
Yep, that's the one - Blue Sky Imports. Got it from Adventure Sports in Lynnwood, WA, (just north of Seattle) back in '91 or '92, I think. Man, that Garand was in *such* rough shape. The only reason I bought it was because it was $275 or thereabouts (under $300 anyhow) and it came with, IIRC, 100 rounds of some loose garbage ammo in a .30 cal can and 5 en-blocs. I was a poor college kid and spending even that much money seemed like a bad idea at time (used to wait until 11pm to start drinking beer on Friday nights because that's when the College Inn started selling $1 pitchers of PBR. LOL) but I had grown up hearing Grandpa's war stories about the Garand and I knew I had to have one. :)

Reactions: Willard
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.