SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first Sig, a p238, about an hour ago. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up early next week. Traditionally I've heard nothing but great things about Sigs, which is why I bought this gun when I decided to purchase a sub compact 380.

Excited about my new gun, I got on sigtalk to see what kind of ammo people were shooting in there p238s and I've run across a lot of threads of FTEs, FTFs, etc. from not only p238s but other sigs in general. I do remember hearing about Sigs putting out a lot of lemons lately and that there quality control has deteriorated. I was just curious if this has become the norm and if I should go ahead and accept that fact that I'm going to have to send my gun to Sig after 500 rounds to get it fixed?

I have Springfields and Rugers as well and I've never had any issues, I just assume they should work and they do. Do I need to assume that my sig will not work?

I was about to buy a p220 today as well but now I'm concerned that my sigs are just going to frustrate me. Thoughts on this? How many of you have new sigs (last few years) and never have issues?

Thanks!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Every pistol manufacturer has issues, with the exception of some of the real high end hand fitted gunmakers - Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, etc. Unfortunately, the complaints get broadcast more loudly than all of the complimentary ones. You know the adage about the squeaky wheel gets the grease? Same basic principal here. I would be fairly certain that for everyone here voicing a SIG issue, there are 500 who have had none and remain quiet.

·
Registered
55,672 Posts
my shooters are older sigs with german frames & no problems.

welcome from az

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just buy quality ammo and shoot the crap out of it. I have 3 Sigs and they are all flawless. Don't use winchester white box bulk ammo or Tula steel case ammo and you should be ok. All brands of guns have problems. You read about the problems online cause people are ****** off and want to tell the world. People don't tend to write about their gun that doesnt have any problems.

Don't be scared, buy as many Sigs as you can!

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
All of my Sigs (7 total) are newer models, and to date, I have had (1) loose safety lever that Sig fixed, and (2) one sight that didn't glow- Sig promptly replaced it. Out of 7 guns, I think that is a pretty good track record, amounting to very minor issues.
Honestly, it's easy to pick up on peoples dissatisfaction. As you read, make a point to recognize satisfied customers- there are more satisfied than dissatisfied, I have found. Like most things in life, bad news makes more noise.
I love guns, and have the choice to purchase whatever I want, and because I have purchased 7, and am working on #8, obviously I have enough money to do it. I willfully chose to buy Sig Sauer's, willfully choosing not to buy something else. That says a lot, I think- look at how many others have made the same conscience choice- they wouldn't do that if they were unhappy or lacked faith.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
You will only know when you go to the range. Lube it before you go. Use FMJ ammo dif. brands. Carry ammo HP's some have trouble with the shape of the bullet. I have 11 sigs pistols, STI, KAHR, Berretta. S&W. They all work...................Only one I had trouble with RIA & Taurus. They worked fine on return from repair..............

·
Registered
564 Posts
Sig owners are like Porsche drivers, imho: They expect a premium product to be flawless outta the box...based on perceived reputation and price.
For the most part, they are mass produced and undergo minimum Q-A....as Factory Guns.
Most , giving them the benefit of the doubt which I believe they deserve, work fine under most normal use/expectations.
Some, like everything made on a mass assembly line, may need a little extra TLC to perform up to a picky owners expectations.

Relatively few, imho, end up being unuseable/unserviceable but it happens everywhere.

Even Porsche has recalls and "Lemon Law" Buy Backs.

I'd say on most cases, an out of the box Sig competes very well with a comparable high-end product.

I know for a fact, Sig Service/Warranty Work is very, very good.

I'd say the best guarantee for out of the box excellence is an X5, but it;s not a mass produced product, gets a lot more TLC from Sig and is priced accordingly.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Sig and rely on the Warranty Shop if I had any issues.
In fact, I just got a 7 year old CPO and found it to be flawless:

·
Registered
376 Posts
First welcome from Fayetteville NC. Then just because you see issues here dont mean is a real problem keep in mind this is a great palce for askin b question if you havr an issue. U have 8 sigs (almos on crifocal condition on my SiGness). And I didnt have any real issye with any exept with my 229 abd M11A1 that nend sigth adjustments. Wixh in reality is not really a faultt weapon. Now I can say my 238 Is the most accurate all of my sigs. Compare onl y to my w/g P228. If you look at other forum yoj will encounter similar thing from other manufacturers. And if you happend to have issuea with yours Sig Sauer costumer service is legendary

Sent from my SPH-720 Using Tapatalk
BBM 7B86FB42

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm one that had to send my 238 back, I couldn't believe the gun broke the first time out. I was disappointed but stuff happens. Sig CS could not have been nicer and turnaround was only a week to get my gun back and fixed. I like the 238 so much I ordered another one forms Buds this week. All I can say is shoot it and have its fun to shoot and easy to carry. I'm sold on Sig just had bad luck on my first one.

Steve

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Most the problems you hear of with SIGs are the newer sub compact models that be design are harder to make reliable and never will be as reliable as a full size or standard compact pistol.

If you want a SIG P210/P220/P225/P226/P228/P229/P239/SP2022 new or old your chances of getting a problem one are extremely small. Time will tell how the reliability of the subcompact SIGs will rate. SIG does have great customer service if one does have a problem however assuming you don't scream at and belittle the customer service rep.

reviews of P226 as an example.

Sig Sauer P226 - PoliceLink

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a SIG 522, VERY HAPPY WITH IT....BUT, all of a sudden the factory mags will not lock in...the 25's an the 10's no issues until a yr old...WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
I'm not wanting to be perceived as apologizing for SIG, I think there are plenty of opportunities for them to improve the product they are manufacturing. But let's not lose sight of how much they have grown over the last few years. Not too long ago, they barely had 200 employees in the US. They recently topped 1000 US employees. With this kind of growth, there will be more opportunities for bad product to make it out, possibly even at similar or lower percentages than prior rates. But due to this increase of sheer numbers, there is bound to be more noise around the less than satisfactory product that makes it to the customer. At least they stand behind their product and do the right thing.

I own a few SIG's, both newer and older. I wouldn't say they are any worse, manufacturing quality wise, than other major firearms manufacturers. Buy 'em, shoot 'em, enjoy 'em, if there's a problem, send 'em back and let SIG fix 'em.

·
Registered
22,021 Posts
Think of the millions of guns that a company like Sig makes. A very small percentage of the countless number of people who never have problems join a forun like this to brag about never having problems. On the other hand, a large percentage of people who do have problems will join a forum like this to find answers, get advice and just *****. This phenomenon skews a person's perception of the quality of a particular brand.

Sigs are awesome. And Sigs have a lifetime warranty.

Enjoy yor gun. And if you want a P220, rest assured that it is well known to be one of the most reliable pistols ever built.

·
Registered
22,021 Posts
Every pistol manufacturer has issues, with the exception of some of the real high end hand fitted gunmakers - Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, etc. .....
I hang out in 1911 forums too and have seen some complaints about even Wilson Combat guns. Somebody on every production line has a bad day now and then. :)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Sig owners are like Porsche drivers, imho: They expect a premium product to be flawless outta the box...based on perceived reputation and price.
For the most part, they are mass produced and undergo minimum Q-A....as Factory Guns.
Most , giving them the benefit of the doubt which I believe they deserve, work fine under most normal use/expectations.
Some, like everything made on a mass assembly line, may need a little extra TLC to perform up to a picky owners expectations.

Relatively few, imho, end up being unuseable/unserviceable but it happens everywhere.

Even Porsche has recalls and "Lemon Law" Buy Backs.

I'd say on most cases, an out of the box Sig competes very well with a comparable high-end product.

I know for a fact, Sig Service/Warranty Work is very, very good.

I'd say the best guarantee for out of the box excellence is an X5, but it;s not a mass produced product, gets a lot more TLC from Sig and is priced accordingly.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Sig and rely on the Warranty Shop if I had any issues.
In fact, I just got a 7 year old CPO and found it to be flawless:

Now that is one sweet pistol!

·
Registered
629 Posts
I hang out in 1911 forums too and have seen some complaints about even Wilson Combat guns. Somebody on every production line has a bad day now and then. :)
Darn right. I have plenty of them myself. If I was making guns, there would be a lot of people complaining about them - especially the ones I made first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
22,021 Posts
Darn right. I have plenty of them myself. If I was making guns, there would be a lot of people complaining about them - especially the ones I made first thing in the morning.
Especially Monday morning. LOL!!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I may only own 2 Sigs, both were made within the last 2 years, but they were flawless out of the box. Manufacturers have warranties with their products to take care of the ones that make it past QC or have problems further down the road. I agree that a product of this price point "should" be perfect out of the box, but you got to remember that these products are produced by humans and there is not one human that is perfect.
If you have issues with your Sig, use your warranty. That is what it is there for. From what I have read here and other forums, if you don't like what the CS rep tells you, ask for his supervisor or call back and talk to a different rep.

In the stories that I have read on the issues with the P238 and the P938 is that it may take several rounds of premium ammo to get things loosened up before the everyday plinking ammo will function.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts