SIG Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I pick up my new to me XO Nitron two weeks before I thought I would. First thing I discover is I need a new set of grip bushings and screws. Whoever thought it would be a good idea to use allen head screws in this application should be pistol whipped with said weapon. My question is...do I have to be careful of threading and size of the bushings or are all 1911's the same thread? I probably will buy from Brownell's.
Thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Welcome to the forum. ALL 1911’s regardless of manufacture have the same grip screw bushing. The screws however could have hex, slot, phillips and torx design. Bushings are the same, screws vary. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Oh by the way, my brand new DW Guardian has “Allen” head or “hex” head grip screws and I think they look just fine. And to trump that, the Wilson Combat grips I just installed with the “Allen” screws looks completely awesome.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh by the way, my brand new DW Guardian has “Allen” head or “hex” head grip screws and I think they look just fine. And to trump that, the Wilson Combat grips I just installed with the “Allen” screws looks completely awesome.
It's not the look I object to, it's their tendency to strip easily.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Correction on the bushing answer above.
You have bushings for thick grips an thin grips so the length screw is important.

As far the type of screw, that is just preference. Any screw for 1911’s should be the correct thread. If you strip a hex screw head than you are over tightening them.

Reactions: badhatharry

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correction on the bushing answer above.
You have bushings for thick grips an thin grips so the length screw is important.

As far the type of screw, that is just preference. Any screw for 1911’s should be the correct thread. If you strip a hex screw head than you are over tightening them.
Like I said, this gun is new to me.. I know nothing of the previous owner other than he doesn't know how to clean a 1911 and apparently has very strong hands.
Thanks for the tips

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Like I said, this gun is new to me.. I know nothing of the previous owner other than he doesn't know how to clean a 1911 and apparently has very strong hands.
Thanks for the tips
If the bushing unscrews from the frame and come out together with the screw and grip, don't panic, put a drop of Loctite on the bushing thread and put it back, next day should be able to take screw and grips off.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Thanks for the tips
I learned the hard way about screw length and thin grips . Funny how mags won’t go in with screws in the way. At the range no less��

Reactions: badhatharry
1 - 9 of 9 Posts