SIG Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I Am Searching For The Highest Capacity, Reliable Magazine For The Sig P229R (.40 S&W). I currently utilize 15-round Sig P226 .40 S&W magazines in my 229R and they work wonderfully. ProMag seems to make a 20-round, .40 S&W magazine for the Sig P226. Has anyone tried these and, if so, would you recommend them? Are there any other possibilities out there for magazines in excess of 15 rounds that will work in the Sig P229 (.40 S&W)? Thank you!

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
15 Round Mec Gar 226 mag, which is really the 13 rounder with the very reliable +2 MECGAR base plate is the best option for me. Barely in under your question of :"more than 15 rounds" but I am personally unaware of any reliable options (that I would use) that are actually "more" than 15, meaning 16 or higher. I will say that a standard 2 mag carrier plus 15+1 gives you 46 shots. Although I tend to overplan, I do not envision a scenario where I need more than 46 rounds. And if I do and get to plan it, I hope I have planned to have more than a handgun

Here are the 15 rounders at GunMagWarehouse. Greg Cote has them for the same price but shipping is $2 more than GMW. Excellent service from both.
https://gunmagwarehouse.com/mec-gar-sig-sauer-p-226-40-s-w-15-round-magazine.html

Edit--I have had promags fail on me (at the range thankfully). I do not recommend them. Although Mec-Gar mags can and likely have failed, I have never seen one fail. Many on here worry about the tiniest of details--but no one I know worries that their Mec-Gar mag is of poor quality and may fail due to quality. My advice is to take the word ProMag out of your vocabulary and pretend they do not exist. I have done just that.

Edit #2 I just re read your post and saw that you said 229. Obviously I posted the 226. Here is the 229 link for the 14 round 229 Mags. Subtract 3 from my numbers above
https://gunmagwarehouse.com/mec-gar-sig-sauer-p-229-1-9mm-17-round-anti-friction-magazine-2394.html

the words on the link say 229 9mm 17 round mags but the link points to the .40 #14 rounders

·
Registered
468 Posts
P226 magazines will work reliably in a P229, just move to the Mec Gar with +2 extensions

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Hey boyler, so which Democrat law maker are you a staffer for?

How's that list of specific mags you guys want to ban coming?

Were we of any help on that?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hey boyler, so which Democrat law maker are you a staffer for?

How's that list of specific mags you guys want to ban coming?

Were we of any help on that?
I'm fine with putting promag's on the ban list.:D...it's just a matter of time before > 10 rounds are banned....stock up now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the perspectives. It seems like the Sig / Mec-Gar 15-round 226 mags are the highest capacity reliable mags for the .40 S&W P229.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Having highest capacity and reliability would likely position you at looking towards mec-gars.

SIG OEM checkmate's typically work fine, but a lot more people have praising remarks with mec-gars.

Flush fitting, I guess you're looking at mec-gar 13 rounders, then add a +2 base pad of mecgar's and you have a 15 rounder.

If you're fine with having a longer magazine, 226 mags should work fine. That'd be a mecgar 18 rounder with a +2 base plate.

Of course, these are just the common ones you can easily purchase, I'm sure there are some people out there that have manufactured other base plates that could still work well with stock or even upgraded springs for a higher round count.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts