SIG Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought the Sig P320 X5 Legion. Great gun, but the slide seems to be scraping the barrel accross the hood in a diagonal. Is this typical on Sigs? I see lots of pics online of wear on the barrel for various sig models, but this seems excessive.

When it started showing scratching before, I sent the barrel off to be cerakoted. This didnt last long however. Only about 10 rounds through when it took the cerakote off. Had it redone in the hottest strongest coating we could get and It still scrapes clean off.

Should I have some material filed down in the slide? thoughts?

·
Registered
22,688 Posts
It is normal due to the lockup design. The barrel hood slides against the bottom surface of the top of slide as it begins to drop out of lock as the slide moves backwards relative to the barrel. The barrel hood repeats the process as the barrel moves upward into lock as the slide returns to battery.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Lube the hell out of the barrel and inside the slide. the best lube TW25B. You can find it on E-Bay it is not cheap $18.00 11/2 oz.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
And cerakoate is a bad choice for a barrel, DLC or TiN hold up pretty good though. Cerakoate, even the stuff they call Micro Slick will wear off in no time leaving it looking worse than before.
The shiny black on the more recent Sig's I have don't show any ware yet, I wonder if people oil them.

·
Registered
22,688 Posts
And cerakoate is a bad choice for a barrel, DLC or TiN hold up pretty good though. Cerakoate, even the stuff they call Micro Slick will wear off in no time leaving it looking worse than before.
The shiny black on the more recent Sig's I have don't show any ware yet, I wonder if people oil them.
SIG has been putting barrels finished with DLC. About the most wear resistant black finish you can find. I have a number of SIGs with those barrels that show no wear whatsoever.

·
Registered
606 Posts
All you need to do is polish the sharp edge on the slide with some 800 wet/dry and a toothpick. That's what I did with my P-938

·
Registered
269 Posts
It is normal due to the lockup design. The barrel hood slides against the bottom surface of the top of slide as it begins to drop out of lock as the slide moves backwards relative to the barrel. The barrel hood repeats the process as the barrel moves upward into lock as the slide returns to battery.
This ^^^^ is known as the SIG lock block which is a proprietary way to lock the slide and barrel during recoil. As opposed to the older internal channels used in guns like the 1911, which were extremely difficult to get a clean mate up and cost hundreds to clean up. When Browning was working on the HiPower design he had to engineer around the patents he sold Colt, dropping the link, etc, and it was the next generation improvement over that old war horse. Once SIG formalized the barrel block lock up with patent most of the auto pistol makers either paid up or waited it out to adopt it.

That mating surface is literally where the barrel and slide are pressed together during recoil and no finish is going to withstand that. It's a high pressure wear point and keeping it lightly lubed might help, it's a stainless slide and its not going to remain cosmetically perfect. It's what is called "patina of use" in firearms and if your gun has none, you haven't been shooting it.

If you start the engine on a new truck, drive it off the lot, fill the bed with bales of hay and then drive out into the field to feed the cattle, that truck is no longer new. It will pick up scratches, weeds, dents, and old Nubbin the bull may even decide to push it around a bit to see who's boss. A gun is no different - take it out of the box, blow 50-200 rounds thru it chasing those cute Garage Door Openers of Death at the automated range, the parts wear, finish flies off, mags gets marks on them, barrels and slides wear together, then you load it all up, stick the gun in an IWB and scrape it against the door jam exiting the range, and again, climbing in the truck, leaving a mark on both.

I've got an Estwing hammer that's about 20 years old, clean, no rust, sure is not factory finish and neither is the ripping bar I use to dismantle framing. But, they work. Tools get beat on and guns are tools.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts