SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at the Scar 17 for awhile now and was almost ready too pull the trigger but in trying to do my due diligence I want to explore other options as well considering how expensive the Scar is. I am looking at other options. It would be used mainly for target shooting and some hunting and I am thinking that I would like to stay with the 308. I have considered the Galil Ace as well. This may just end up being a buy once cry once scenario but I want to make sure there are not some lower cost alternatives that I should really consider. I had at one time considered the Desert Tech MDR but all the delays continue to worry me. Ideas?

Registered
Price is up there alright . . . that's why I have 2 :D. The big brother and the little brother. I also installed the Stryker E.A.C.H. charging handle on both. While a little taken back with the price when looking, I was concerned with weight and balance. When I did actually hold the 17s, it was a done deal for me. Bought it in black but was still torn with the FDE. So what the heck, within a week I bought the 16s in FDE :D.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Price is up there alright . . . that's why I have 2 :D. The big brother and the little brother. I also installed the Stryker E.A.C.H. charging handle on both. While a little taken back with the price when looking, I was concerned with weight and balance. When I did actually hold the 17s, it was a done deal for me. Bought it in black but was still torn with the FDE. So what the heck, within a week I bought the 16s in FDE :D.
Oh boy! That is awesome!

Registered
Mwright Sorry but never did understand asking others what I should buy . Handle both if you can watch videos on both and if still corn-fuzed flip a coin as it really only matter to you .

Beside compared to most things you'll buy over the years even these are low in the cost list .

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mwright Sorry but never did understand asking others what I should buy . Handle both if you can watch videos on both and if still corn-fuzed flip a coin as it really only matter to you .

Beside compared to most things you'll buy over the years even these are low in the cost list .

I actually agree for the most part, I am mostly wondering if there are some I have not considered so I know what to go and look at so I can compare. Of course also interested in any opinions others might have as well but I understand ultimately the decision is mine.

Banned
I would strongly consider a solid AR-10 platform. It is simple, reliable and effective for what you're looking for. The SCAR is a fine weapon, and it is certainly going to fit the bill you want, but the AR is strong on all points.

Reactions: black squirrel

Resident Armorer Premium Member
Mwright, the SCAR is a fine weapon from a major manufacture, and AFAIK has been "adopted" by some militaries, so repair parts should be available for a little while anyway. But the "downside" is the initial cost, although not too far off some of the AR types also in limited military service.

You state this is for "target shooting" and hunting. The term "Target Shooting" could include formal competition, or plinking at the range. Hunting could be a few rounds a year, verifying your zero, and a round or two taking a large game animal, to taking one of those Texas Hog Hunts, where 20 round magazines are emptied often, in an attempt to eradicate a nuisance!

There are some entry level 7.62/.308 ARs around $1000 without any sighting system, like the DPMS Sportical, or Oracle, Bushmaster ORC.

I went with the Bushmaster, it's not a target rifle, but it's not meant to be. I changed the furniture to Magpul, along with their magazines to feed it. I've installed a Geissele trigger, and have a Leatherwood CMR scope on it. I normally shoot "surplus" ammunition, and it is accurate enough for my needs.

Regardless of what you choose, remember there are always the little incidentals, you need to accumulate, mainly magazines. I'm not sure what FN is getting for their magazines, but it is doubtful they're as cheap as the Magpul units. More than likely given that you also plan on using it for hunting, you'll need a couple of 5 rounders to hunt deer in Michigan.

Good luck in finding what you want, and which works for you!

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mwright, the SCAR is a fine weapon from a major manufacture, and AFAIK has been "adopted" by some militaries, so repair parts should be available for a little while anyway. But the "downside" is the initial cost, although not too far off some of the AR types also in limited military service.

You state this is for "target shooting" and hunting. The term "Target Shooting" could include formal competition, or plinking at the range. Hunting could be a few rounds a year, verifying your zero, and a round or two taking a large game animal, to taking one of those Texas Hog Hunts, where 20 round magazines are emptied often, in an attempt to eradicate a nuisance!

There are some entry level 7.62/.308 ARs around $1000 without any sighting system, like the DPMS Sportical, or Oracle, Bushmaster ORC.

I went with the Bushmaster, it's not a target rifle, but it's not meant to be. I changed the furniture to Magpul, along with their magazines to feed it. I've installed a Geissele trigger, and have a Leatherwood CMR scope on it. I normally shoot "surplus" ammunition, and it is accurate enough for my needs.

Regardless of what you choose, remember there are always the little incidentals, you need to accumulate, mainly magazines. I'm not sure what FN is getting for their magazines, but it is doubtful they're as cheap as the Magpul units. More than likely given that you also plan on using it for hunting, you'll need a couple of 5 rounders to hunt deer in Michigan.

Good luck in finding what you want, and which works for you!
Thank you very much. This is great info.

Registered
12 mags, Geissele Trigger, Leupold MK 6 scope & mount, KDG Mrex handguard, Vltor stock, Atlas Bipod, Surefire Scout.... Spent more on "incidentals" & accessories than the gun itself. Great gun, but the epitome of overkill for my purposes.

What no lower . . . :p Kidding. Superbad :cool:.

Reactions: ScrapRat

Premium Member
Palmetto had the FDE on sale for $2800. I've had two SCAR 17S's (First was Black, second FDE) and two Sig 716's (Both FDE). The SCAR is incredible....well built, light, and accurate. I made some upgrades so the CH was fine, you just need to Install the Stryker EACH CH, Tango Down Stock Latch, some Parker Mountain QD Sling Mounts and knobs, and the Magpul MIAD. I absolutely love the Bolt Carrier design...so easy to clean and just makes sense. The plastic is solid and durable, Barrel is built for long life and accuracy. The Piston system is remarkably small and easy to clean, way smaller than the 716 Piston System. I did also have to install the Geiselle Super SCAR Trigger for an additional $300 because the stock trigger just isn't that great...most people end up changing the trigger. I think my upgrades came to about $500 above the cost of the rifle.

It's a great Battle Rifle. I thought they should have included the aftermarket stuff for the price...but it is what it is. I like the SCAR better than the 716 because of the innovative design, less recoil, and weight. The 20 Round Magazines for the SCAR 17S are well made but also proprietary and run anywhere from $34-$42, Buds had the best price at $34 using the price match.

I sold all four rifles for various reasons, and am nearly finished building a Mega Maten 308. If I had to choose today, I would take my Mega Maten...Mainly because it's much less proprietary and I personally believe just as accurate and durable. If something breaks on it I won't have to pay the FN Premium prices to fix it. My 25 round 308 Magpul Clear Window Mags run about $20 each if you buy in lots of 10.

Another point to consider is FN Contracts. FN sells a lot of these around the world. From about 2013 to last Fall there was a shortage of SCARS, and prices just got ridiculous. They were selling on GB for $5000. What was even weirder was that the Military version is made in South Carolina, and the American Civilian version is made in Belgium. So when FN got a big Military order, the whole production line in Belgium must have switched over to speed up delivery. I sold my souped up FDE for $3750, which was close to the full amount I had in it with the upgrades. It looks like supplies are good now, so if you're going to get one you should be able to do a deal for $2600 to $2800 if you shop around.

Premium Member
This was my baby, for a while...Sold for $3750, which included all the upgrades and 5 Mags. Sold 15 Mags separately for about $30 each. One of the few times I ever broke even, although it was in the middle of the SCAR drought.

And the new squeeze...Just need to Torque the Barrel and replace that red Seekins Safety. This was $2201 total. Solid as a rock. 18" Barrel too.

Registered
For what you describe are you sure you want a semi auto .308? Why not a DPR (designated precision rifle)? Like a Ruger Precision Rifle in .308, Savage 10BA Stealth, Howa M1500HCR or Bergara.

-Dan

Registered
Palmetto had the FDE on sale for $2800. I've had two SCAR 17S's (First was Black, second FDE) and two Sig 716's (Both FDE). The SCAR is incredible....well built, light, and accurate. I made some upgrades so the CH was fine, you just need to Install the Stryker EACH CH, Tango Down Stock Latch, some Parker Mountain QD Sling Mounts and knobs, and the Magpul MIAD. I absolutely love the Bolt Carrier design...so easy to clean and just makes sense. The plastic is solid and durable, Barrel is built for long life and accuracy. The Piston system is remarkably small and easy to clean, way smaller than the 716 Piston System. I did also have to install the Geiselle Super SCAR Trigger for an additional $300 because the stock trigger just isn't that great...most people end up changing the trigger. I think my upgrades came to about $500 above the cost of the rifle.

It's a great Battle Rifle. I thought they should have included the aftermarket stuff for the price...but it is what it is. I like the SCAR better than the 716 because of the innovative design, less recoil, and weight. The 20 Round Magazines for the SCAR 17S are well made but also proprietary and run anywhere from $34-$42, Buds had the best price at $34 using the price match.

I sold all four rifles for various reasons, and am nearly finished building a Mega Maten 308. If I had to choose today, I would take my Mega Maten...Mainly because it's much less proprietary and I personally believe just as accurate and durable. If something breaks on it I won't have to pay the FN Premium prices to fix it. My 25 round 308 Magpul Clear Window Mags run about $20 each if you buy in lots of 10.

Another point to consider is FN Contracts. FN sells a lot of these around the world. From about 2013 to last Fall there was a shortage of SCARS, and prices just got ridiculous. They were selling on GB for $5000. What was even weirder was that the Military version is made in South Carolina, and the American Civilian version is made in Belgium. So when FN got a big Military order, the whole production line in Belgium must have switched over to speed up delivery. I sold my souped up FDE for $3750, which was close to the full amount I had in it with the upgrades. It looks like supplies are good now, so if you're going to get one you should be able to do a deal for $2600 to $2800 if you shop around.
Excellent assessment. Ironically, I was going to get the 716, but typical of SIG, they kept stalling it's release and my eyes wondered, which I'm glad of. I wanted a lighter rifle overall, like I said. Just a great rifle to coddle (ha). Paid $2700. for my black 17s and $2300 for my 16s FDE. Have a bi-pod and the E.A.C.H.'s. Thought about the Geiselle Super SCAR trigger (x2) and just haven't done them yet. But I will, I'm sure. When I got mine, shortage had just started with the rifles and also with the FN mags, but got all of mine before it got crazy. I picked up about 10 for my 17s and about the same for my 16s when I got my rifles. Anyway, got my two and very, very glad. I always spend more than I need, get more than I need, and enjoy more than I deserve. Figure once you do it, hard to go back.

Reactions: Czechvar

Premium Member
Excellent assessment. Ironically, I was going to get the 716, but typical of SIG, they kept stalling it's release and my eyes wondered, which I'm glad of. I wanted a lighter rifle overall, like I said. Just a great rifle to coddle (ha). Paid $2700. for my black 17s and $2300 for my 16s FDE. Have a bi-pod and the E.A.C.H.'s. Thought about the Geiselle Super SCAR trigger (x2) and just haven't done them yet. But I will, I'm sure. When I got mine, shortage had just started with the rifles and also with the FN mags, but got all of mine before it got crazy. I picked up about 10 for my 17s and about the same for my 16s when I got my rifles. Anyway, got my two and very, very glad. I always spend more than I need, get more than I need, and enjoy more than I deserve. Figure once you do it, hard to go back.
The Geissele Trigger is worth it, but I do look for the Primary Arms 25% off sales. They should be running another one soon around the upcoming holidays.

Registered
The Geissele Trigger is worth it, but I do look for the Primary Arms 25% off sales. They should be running another one soon around the upcoming holidays.
Thanks man. What I've been hearing along the way. I'll look into it. While back, I was actually looking into the X-Products and Stryker Ent. lowers with all of the pros and con's with both. Actually thought about the X-drum, but after some research . . . that sucker would weigh a ton lol. But cool as all get out, I have to say. Plus the fact one recommended putting the $$$'s toward the trigger and leaving it alone. At any rate I decided to just keep them as is for the weight and balance that it was designed for.

Reactions: ScrapRat
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.