SIG Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just submitted my SC CWP permit application and supporting dox. I know the state has 90 days to issue the permit, and I'm planning to wait the whole time, I'm just wondering if anyone has gotten one recently, and how long did it take...?

My carry firearm is a Sig P290RS with 8 round magazine, in a Blackhawk IWB holster. I prefer the appendix carry location, but also carry in the small of the back. I also have a Sneaky Pete holster for the P290.

/thx

·
Registered
898 Posts
It took about 40 days to receive mine after I sent off the paperwork in the early part of 2014.

Welcome from SC!

Reactions: oTuachair

·
Registered
577 Posts
It varies. My first one (1996) took just under a month. Renewals have run as long as almost three months on one occasion. All depends on their workload at the time. (By the way, welcome to the forum.)

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I just submitted my SC CWP permit application and supporting dox. I know the state has 90 days to issue the permit, and I'm planning to wait the whole time, I'm just wondering if anyone has gotten one recently, and how long did it take...?

/thx
Lucky you in a "free State". Here in Kalifornia, it's up to each individual county. My county presently takes 7 months

<grumblebrumblepissmoancomplaincomplain>

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
90 days? Yikes. Hope it comes in sooner than that. I submitted my fingerprint form, DD-214 and CHL course completion paperwork online here in Texas and had my permit in the mail 12 days later.
PS: Love SC and the low country. Was stationed in Charleston and love going back every few years.

~Rob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reading your post it seems you are already carrying?
No, P225sig, I am absolutely not carrying without a permit. I do not want to run afoul of the law, and jeopardize my legal right to own a firearm. For now, I train on ranges, and I do dry fire training (on my own property, out of sight of anyone around me) with the firearm that I already own, and will carry every day after I receive the permit. In my opinion, one needs to be prepared and trained when the permit arrives, rather than getting the permit, starting to carry and THEN beginning to train.

O'T

·
Registered
22,028 Posts
Wish S.C. would recognize Alabama's permits! :mad:

Tennessee does.
Geogia does.
Kentucky does.
North Carolina does.

South Carolina is surrounded by states that accept my permit.

But not South Carolina!! :growl:

Reactions: PA28FDO

·
Registered
20 Posts
South Carolina is very particular about carrying. They don't accept permits from any state that doesn't have similar class/training requirements. They also don't accept non-resident permits from the states they do have reciprocity with.

I'm originally from SC and now live in WA. I can't actually carry a firearm there because there isn't any way for me to get a permit (or having one accepted from any state I can currently get one from) unless I first buy land in the state.

I know there has been some legislative attempts to open up the permits they accept, but they never seem to get anywhere.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts