SIG Talk banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,510 Posts

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
A Biden win... much more to worry about than a stock screwed on a pistol. With the voting numbers required making a Biden win possible, also coming will be a Senate shift. Within the first 6 months, you will have legislation requiring firearm registration, mandatory turn-in of detachable magazine-fed long arms and that means the pistol you have that has the stock. Also in the plan will be requiring ammo sales by FFL dealers only, a punitive added tax on ammo, ammo permits required of the purchasers with quantity limits and no buying of either firearms or ammo except from dealers in your home state.

Reactions: HODY905

·
Registered
398 Posts
Who knows where this new ATF change will ultimately end up, but once it is in effect it will probably lead to more changes that we won't like. I suggest that we all contact our government and our representatives to let them know that this is not a good idea. Once they realize that allowing actions like this is happen will cause them to lose the support of millions of their voters, hopefully they will take action to rein in the ATF.
All I do know is that just bitching about it on these forums will not do any good, we have to let the government officials know in no uncertain terms that if they allow this to happen, it will cost them the support of the millions and millions of legal gun owners. So flood them will emails, phone calls, and whatever else you can think of to let them know that gun owners of America do not support this unlawful change that the AFT is making.

Urge the Department of Justice to Rein in ATF's Arbitrary Determination on "Honey Badger" Pistol

·
Registered
149 Posts
I don't know....I'm kind of with kydj75's comment. If I find myself in the market for a pistol with a stock on it, I'd rather go all out and just go full-on SBR and pay the stupid $200 to not have to worry about it. That being said...there have been times in my life when $200 was a lot of money, and I don't want to be an elitist a-hole....so if that's how I'm coming off, I apologize but I'll go through $200 in ammo at a range session if my kids come along and never even give it a thought. I've got guns that I paid more in sales tax than $200. If it was me, I'd just render unto Caesar what Caesar says he's owed and move on.

Phil

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Some good perspective here:

After a little Googling. I believe the the Boston Field Division of the ATF oversees and includes
CT, Maine,Massachusetts,New Hampshire,Rhode Island and Vermont and Kelly Brady is the top guy over those field offices. So he isn’t just a agent he’s The Agent covering those states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
76 Posts
April 8,2021 - News reports indicate that Biden will direct DOJ to issue a proposed rule within 60 days that makes clear a device marketed as a stabilizing brace, which effectively allows a pistol to operate as a short-barreled rifle, is subject to NFA

·
Premium Member
11,510 Posts
Meaning that some time in the next 60 days, over 10 million citizens will suddenly be deemed felons overnight without committing a crime, and will respond accordingly.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I said in a different thread that I've been looking strongly at buying an AR pistol with a brace, but now maybe I'm glad to have saved my $$$. TG

·
Registered
305 Posts
I dont own any braces never have. That being said. They appear to be small and plastic. I’m guessing most people will just hide or bury theirs for future use. Really won’t accomplish anything.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
I dont own any braces never have. That being said. They appear to be small and plastic. I’m guessing most people will just hide or bury theirs for future use. Really won’t accomplish anything.
If the gun it’s on has a barrel shorter than 16 inches it’ll be difficult for anyone who owns what is now considered an AR pistol. You can’t just swap a regular stock on it legally without SBRing and filing a form 1. This will be trickier than the bump stock.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
But what about AR-platform pistols with a smooth buffer extension tube? That was the norm before braces became the rage. Unless the "AFT", as Xiden* called it, makes all AR-platform weapons with barrels under 16 inches automatically SBRs. There will have to be some clarification there. In anticipation of this issue, I have several pistol buffer tube kits in my parts bins.

·
Registered
305 Posts
If the gun it’s on has a barrel shorter than 16 inches it’ll be difficult for anyone who owns what is now considered an AR pistol. You can’t just swap a regular stock on it legally without SBRing and filing a form 1. This will be trickier than the bump stock.
In that case simply remove the barrel. and run a longer barrel in the mean time . Maybe a14.5” w. a pinned muzzle device .Problem solved. Barrels can be swapped in a matter of minutes . Shouldn’t be an issue . Bump stocks are nothing more than a couple of pieces of plastic. Most people would have no idea what they were even looking at if it were uninstalled.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
April 8,2021 - News reports indicate that Biden will direct DOJ to issue a proposed rule within 60 days that makes clear a device marketed as a stabilizing brace, which effectively allows a pistol to operate as a short-barreled rifle, is subject to NFA
"The Justice Department, within 60 days, will issue a proposed rule to make clear when a device marketed as a stabilizing brace effectively turns a pistol into a short-barreled rifle subject to the requirements of the National Firearms Act."
So the actual wording from the WH fact sheet say ..."To make clear when...". I do not have a clear idea how this will impact me at this time since we are waiting to see what "WHEN" means. Any current WH insiders here want to share some inside info.

·
Premium Member
11,510 Posts
I said in a different thread that I've been looking strongly at buying an AR pistol with a brace, but now maybe I'm glad to have saved my $$$. TG
If you're in a state in which it's legal to register a short-barreled-rifle, then yeah you'll need that money for the tax stamp if you're okay with registering....or just shoot the gun with a bare tube.

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
10,920 Posts
I've never owned one so now I guess I won't.

Reactions: hauki

·
Premium Member
11,510 Posts
Two options

Get the rubber tip of a cane or crutch put it on the end of the tube and be done.

Or

Do what you should have done originally and form 1 the thing.
I disagree to an extent...what 'should' have been done is specifically not what Biden has done today. For the past 6-8 years these braces have been legal as unregulated even though they can be used just like an actual stock, with actual written approval from the ATF that they can be legally shouldered. Crime has not been shown to have risen because of them (which the NFA's inclusion of SBR's was intended to guard against), we haven't seen a new class of concealed-rifle-caliber-pistol criminal or crimes unique to that format...the CO shooter could have committed the same crime with a rifle or shotgun or pistol, so it wouldn't have been prevented by a regulation or restriction on braced pistols. The ATF SHOULD acknowledge that a restriction on unregulated short-barreled rifles is arbitrary and ineffective on crime....specifically BECAUSE braces can be used identically and have had plenty of opportunities and availability to create a new wave, but haven't...and do nothing to regulate these braced pistols, just like the last 6-8 years That's what SHOULD have happened.

But it most likely won't, especially with this administration in office. Also, in some states you can't form 1 a weapon as an SBR unless it's manufactured before 1994 (quite rare for something not a rifle, as neither pistol versions or even stripped receivers were not as available/popular as they are today), AND yo register it first as an 'assault weapon' with your township. So technically, yeah they'd have to have no brace on the buffer tube. Or one would simply not comply and run that risk.

·
Premium Member
11,510 Posts
I've been looking closely at getting one also. But, I agree, not worth the money now. I was at my local gun store this afternoon and they still have several for sale. TG
The portability is nice especially for transporting or carrying/shooting indoors. But the muzzle blast from a short barrel with 5.56 is brain-scramblingly loud and concussive, even with hearing protection. That's why they're so attractive as suppressor platforms, especially in 300 Blackout where the bullet is not only larger and slower, but the powder charge is pretty much burnt up after 10 inches as opposed to a 5.56 which still has powder burning past 18-20 inches! Hence the enormous blast from pretty much any barrel shorter than 14.5 - 16 inches. Forward-diverting muzzle devices do help with that to some degree, if you can't use a suppressor.

That's one of the reasons why for some, a short firearm of this type in pistol caliber makes more sense inside the home. More stability and repeatable accuracy wth two hands and even an optic than a regular handgun, but then if the barrel is over 10 inches, less blast and concussion indoors than a short rifle caliber, a shotgun, or even a regular 4-5" barreled pistol.

Reactions: hauki
21 - 40 of 70 Posts