SIG Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you upgrade your ported barrel to a TRUE Precision barrel that's not ported or any other aftermarket barrel for the 365 not ported or do you just keep your ported barrel?

Does it make that big of a difference in recoil management/follow up shots? :confused:

·
Registered
54 Posts
It's about 30% reduction in felt recoil so it's a small difference but noticeable.

So if you're recoil is a 10 (for example) with a ported barrel it will be closer to a 7. Still got some kick just not quite as much.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not necessarily gonna change the barrel out right away, just curious about different opinions people have regarding the barrel and non ported.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
I changed to a NDS non-ported barely in my 365 SAS. I could not find a ported aftermarket option.

In 50 shots i did not notice that much of a difference. This included a RF of 3-4 shots.
124g Federal ammo.

I am hitting the range again this weekend for a SD course and will get a better feel.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Porting in a carry gun can be dangerous in close quarter shooting. Say your sitting in your car and about to be robbed, you pull your gun, aim and shoot across your chest. Now you have burns on your face or blinded by the flash and debris.. Not good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I changed to a NDS non-ported barely in my 365 SAS. I could not find a ported aftermarket option.

In 50 shots i did not notice that much of a difference. This included a RF of 3-4 shots.
124g Federal ammo.

I am hitting the range again this weekend for a SD course and will get a better feel.
keep us posted

·
Registered
52 Posts
I changes my SAS to a Sig Sauer non ported barrel. The kick is noticeable but not enough to go back to the ported barrel.

·
Registered
115 Posts
What porting affects is how much a muzzle rises during the recoil cycle. It really doesn't reduce recoil... It might reduce perceived recoil, because the recoil impulse is more straight back, vs back and up.

There are devices that reduce recoil, such as compensators (they direct some of the gasses backward, thus reducing felt recoil.

I sent a standard P365 Barrel/Slide to Magnaport for porting. I received it back and plan on heading to the range Sunday to shoot it, comparing it to my non-ported P365 (side by side). I've had other ported weapons and usually get about a 30% reduction in muzzle-flip (or rise). This allows for faster follow-up shots.

As for dangers perceived from shooting a ported gun...
I think most are exaggerated...

I don't plan on putting anything over the slide of any gun I'm shooting (ported or not). This includes my face, hands, or anything else I don't intend to destroy.

As for "ruining night vision", at one time, I used to compete in IDPA and other such matches. We had multiple low light shoots at an indoor range and I can tell you that night vision was more affected by flashlights than by muzzle blasts through a ported gun. In fact, I really didn't perceive a big difference in the amount of flash...

So, what are the negatives of porting or using a compensator? Noise...
It's louder to shoot, so wear good hearing protection when at the range...

Blessings all,
DocS

·
Registered
886 Posts
Parted with my SAS, but fired it back to back with a regular P365. I didn't see much difference in perceived recoil or muzzle rise, but I was distracted trying to regain the 'bullseye' sight picture.
Thru' the chronograph, there was a bigger difference between lots of SIG P365 ammo than between the ported/unported pistols. Velocities hovered around 1100'sec.
My regular 365 already shoots straighter than the road to (redacted), and am a little perplexed about any need to replace the factory barrel.
Moon

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
You with the ported barrels, are you OK with the blinding from ported flash in semi or dark situations ? or the potential burning if fired close to body ?

·
Registered
124 Posts
You with the ported barrels, are you OK with the blinding from ported flash in semi or dark situations ? or the potential burning if fired close to body ?
These are the primary reasons you don't see many ported guns being issued by law enforcement agencies. I only know of one, and they changed from ported guns fairly quickly.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
keep us posted
When to my tactical class today. 124g Federal ammo and the non-ported barrel did cause more muzzle rise over the OEM ported. At the range I would say the flip is not an issue. Now in a real life, rapid fire situation and staying on target, I might go back to OEM ported to EDC, until I am more proficient in that type of shooting.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When to my tactical class today. 124g Federal ammo and the non-ported barrel did cause more muzzle rise over the OEM ported. At the range I would say the flip is not an issue. Now in a real life, rapid fire situation and staying on target, I might go back to OEM ported to EDC, until I am more proficient in that type of shooting.
I'm sure SIG tests these things esp in real life situations, but any type of recoil reduction i think is a generally a great thing if you're trying to stop a threat. i mean one bullet probably won't cut it unless you're Deadshot from Suicide Squad

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ca Survivor, have you ever fired a ported or compensated firearm?

Some of you have this impression that fire pours out of the top of the barral, igniting everything in the area...

It's not like this at all...

I definitely wouldn't want anything near the ports when I'm firing, but I wouldn't want anything that close to the muzzle of the firearm anyway!

I took my newly Magnaported P365 and my non-ported 365 out to the range yesterday. I fired about 200 rounds total through each pistol, loading both mags, firing the ported first, then the non-ported. I felt a bit less muzzle flip on the ported one and had faster follow-up shots...

So, here's the proof in the pudding...

I bought my wife a S&W M&P Shield EZ 9mm to replace her EZ 380.
I fired it and all was well. It ran like a champ, then she fired it and continued to have failures to feed (FTF), due to limp-wristing (after nearly every shot).

She tried my newly ported P365 and ran through a couple mags, no limp-wristing FTF issues.

As a test, I had her shoot my non-ported P365 and again, she had FTF caused by limp wristing.

Again, she switched to the ported one and no issues.

If someone is expecting Porting or muzzle breaks to remove most of the recoil, well... That's not going to happen, but it helps keep the muzzle down and allow for better recoil recovery...

Blessings,
DocS

1 - 15 of 15 Posts