SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed to flat triggers on 9 each P226 and P220s, 3 are Amory Craft and 6 are Grayguns. On the west german P220s I lost useage of SAO safety on 3 of them, 1 is Armory Craft and 2 are Grayguns. Also changed to more aggressive G10 grips on all. Have tried several times to correct the three, but no luck. Love the way they shoot and feel, but need to get safeties functional again on the 3. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
At the risk of overlooking the obvious, who changed out the triggers? Even more blatantly obvious, were the grips you bought the SAO-specific models made with the thumb-safety cutouts for SAO pistols...

Send them to Robert Burke, aka: The SIG Armorer.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Lol I did that once. Have a 1911 22 caliber. And I found a pair of paschimeyr.. (or however u spell them) grips that wrap around the grips and seemed pretty neat. Put them on and didn't shoot it till much later and noticed that my safety didn't work. And lord behold I had yes gripped it down tight with wrong grips lol. No idea how I didn't notice it as I installed them. Lesson learned lol

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
12,142 Posts
Of course, without photos, I'm working blind, but I would imagine you have removed too much pre-travel.

If you noticed, the crossbolt, that connects the 2 Safety halves requires a notch to clear the bolt, in the Trigger Bar.

This design requires that there will need to be pre-travel, to provide clearance allowing the crossbolts to move freely, through an arc, in the Trigger Bar.

Generally, I've found you will end up with about 1/8" pre-travel.

In this case, your Safety actually blocks movement of your Trigger Bar, and not your Sear, or Hammer.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Willard, I will try that again on lessening pre-travel. Thanks.
DAS Hugh-If the pre-travel issue doesn,t solve the problem, I may consider a thin brass shim under left side grip panel.
Skyviking-I was the one that changed the triggers. Long ago I took a 2 day Classic Sig Armorers course at the Colorado School of Trades. My expense and not to be a police armorer, just due to the number of Sigs I own. Only problem, the course was all about the double/single versions, no SAOs. All grip panels were designed for SAO variants, so no modification necessary.
Thanks again to all.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Willard, it is almost certainly the pre-travel adjustments. Armory Craft doesn't thread lock the set screws and they can move under recoil. Save yourself headaches, clean and use blue thread locker on set screws before installing flat triggers. Grayguns does use thread locker on their set screws.

·
12,142 Posts
I normally use Loctite 290, which a green medium strength wicking grade thread locker. I normally clean any grease or oils off the threads before installation.

Yes you cannot remove all of the take up like with a DA/SA system, due to that cross bolt having to move into the window (as I call it) of the Trigger Bar. These SAOs are a little different set up than the German Master Shop models, or as many of us weaned on 1911s, understood that the Safeties physically blocked the Hammer and Sear movement when fitted correctly.

Sig never has provided much information on the Single Action Only operation, or even dedicated Parts Breakdowns. There is a Sig Single Action facebook group, that attempts to share knowledge, should you be interested.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again. All 9 trigger installs working correctly now. The models that I did this on; P226 Sport/X Five Competition (different safety set up than others), P220 Super Match, P220 Match (these were the 3 I used Armory Craft triggers on), P226 Elite, P220 Elite, P220 Bitone, P220 Carry, P220 Elite 10mm and a P220 Legion in 10mm that came with standard curved trigger. I got the flat trigger bug from my other Legions that had them. I'm not trying to make Legion killers(?), just feel better to me. Not intending to install short reset kits as all are acceptable. Now I just need to install shorter X Ray front sights on Legions as they all shoot low for my dead on or 6 0'clock preffered hold. And yes, the P226 X Five acts like a 1911, safety on, slide locked.

·
12,142 Posts
Thanks again. All 9 trigger installs working correctly now. The models that I did this on; P226 Sport/X Five Competition (different safety set up than others), P220 Super Match, P220 Match (these were the 3 I used Armory Craft triggers on), P226 Elite, P220 Elite, P220 Bitone, P220 Carry, P220 Elite 10mm and a P220 Legion in 10mm that came with standard curved trigger. I got the flat trigger bug from my other Legions that had them. I'm not trying to make Legion killers(?), just feel better to me. Not intending to install short reset kits as all are acceptable. Now I just need to install shorter X Ray front sights on Legions as they all shoot low for my dead on or 6 0'clock preffered hold. And yes, the P226 X Five acts like a 1911, safety on, slide locked.
Problem in most cases with 6 O'Clock holds is finding the correct combination, for an equivalent #10 rear, the Springfield XDS Ameriglo rear sights are the correct height, and are the same dovetail as Sig fixed rear sights.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I may have to give them a shot. I'll miss the serations on the rear sight, but I won't have to hold over.

·
12,142 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those are interesting. Too bad they don't make a night sight variant. My Legions are what I hope to make my typical go to and carry guns, since we don't get to choose when and where we may have to fight. I really like hand held flashlights as opposed to gun mounted. Both have benefits, but each has a specific purpose as well. Hand held lights are useful in power outage and other low to no light situations. The gun mounted light means you will always be muzzling things you may not want to shoot.

·
12,142 Posts
If you want adjustable tritium sights, Meprolight has the only one I'm familiar with, but I don't believe the rear blade is serrated.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I put those on my P220 Carry. Good sights, just look like suppressor ready without the suppressor.

·
Registered
333 Posts

·
12,142 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Willard, agree. The 220R5 sight does not show on the LPA website. MGW has/had a few in stock. In the recent past you had pointed me to MGW when I was seeking a front pin. I love the sight. My only complaint is the top corners of the sight are not rounded and are very sharp/pointed.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
HODY905, I used a flat fine swiss file and broke the front edges and rounded the outer corners on mine then a black sharpie to get close match. They look like the sights on an X5 now and don't leave flesh hanging on them after racking slide.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Dumbdumb, thanks much for that recommendation. I really need to get some good files and follow up on that.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No problem, just break that front edge slightly, round off corners and you can even have the sight anodized if you want an origin look finish again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts