SIG Talk banner

SAO a hot commodity

2918 20
About a week and a half ago I made the hour trip to my 'local' SIG Elite dealer and bought a P226RX Elite SAO. I kind of took a flyer on the SAO as I have always had traditional DA SIGs, including my current Legion P226 in 9mm, one of the best pistols I have ever shot. I shoot the Legion very well, but I seemed to have found THE pistol for me in the P226RX Elite SAO. The frame feels great and the trigger is outstanding! It is the most accurate pistol I have ever shot.

Yesterday about 3 pm I called the gun shop to ask whether they had a Legion SAO in stock and they told me they did. I figured the combination of the Legion features combined with the SAO trigger would be a real winner for me so I decided to exercise my credit card some more and take the SAO plunge again. The store closed at 6:30 yesterday and reopened at 9 am this morning, 15 minutes before I walked in the door. Well, you guessed it.....it was GONE:mad:!

These SAO Legions must be a real mover. I had the opportunity to order one, but decided to wait.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
561 Posts
About a week and a half ago I made the hour trip to my 'local' SIG Elite dealer and bought a P226RX Elite SAO. I kind of took a flyer on the SAO as I have always had traditional DA SIGs, including my current Legion P226 in 9mm, one of the best pistols I have ever shot. I shoot the Legion very well, but I seemed to have found THE pistol for me in the P226RX Elite SAO. The frame feels great and the trigger is outstanding! It is the most accurate pistol I have ever shot.

Yesterday about 3 pm I called the gun shop to ask whether they had a Legion SAO in stock and they told me they did. I figured the combination of the Legion features combined with the SAO trigger would be a real winner for me so I decided to exercise my credit card some more and take the SAO plunge again. The store closed at 6:30 yesterday and reopened at 9 am this morning, 15 minutes before I walked in the door. Well, you guessed it.....it was GONE:mad:!

These SAO Legions must be a real mover. I had the opportunity to order one, but decided to wait.
Dang that sucks, why don't you place an order online for one?

· Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could, but this place has pretty good prices and has priority shipping from SIG, being an Elite dealer, AND I would have to pay transfer fee (not cheap around here). Plus, I really want to see what it is that I am buying before making a commitment. Let's face it.... Don't really need it either ;-}

· Registered
489 Posts
SAO P series Sigs were so limited for a while it's good to see them out again not just on X5.

Still maybe you can just swap slides (without the Romeo) instead of dropping $1200-ish for the same firearm basically as what you just got. Or buy a 9mm slide & 40 elite xchange kit and $700 worth of ammo. Lots of possibilities. (My SAO Piranha G10s are arriving today)

· Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SAO P series Sigs were so limited for a while it's good to see them out again not just on X5.

Still maybe you can just swap slides (without the Romeo) instead of dropping $1200-ish for the same firearm basically as what you just got. Or buy a 9mm slide & 40 elite xchange kit and $700 worth of ammo. Lots of possibilities. (My SAO Piranha G10s are arriving today)
I certainly have thought about swapping slides, in fact just did so to ensure there were no issues doing so (seems fine....go figure). I think I might jut swap the slides and make a trip to the range, and then make a decision. If the SAO Legion works out as I think it probably will, ie, if my success shooting the SAO is because of the trigger and not the Romeo which is what I think is the case, I might decide to buy the SAO and sell the DA/SA Legion.

On the other hand....does anyone really need a good excuse to buy another SIG:p?!

· Registered
554 Posts
There is an FFL in Sterling Heights that is great to deal with. He charges $25.
There is another in Macomb Twp that only charges $15! But you need to schedule an evening pick up.
PM me if you need the info.

· Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my distributer has about 70 in stock we sell them for 1150 locally
Thanks for the info. I could have ordered one from the dealer I was at several days ago as well for about the same price. I had the itch to buy one right then, but at this point I think I will work on paying off some stuff before my next purchase.

· Registered
25 Posts
I saw my first Legions at a LGS. The da/sa had a trigger that was not as good as my MK25 in SA then I tried the SAO they had.

I bought it on the spot! I took it home and greased it up with mobil 1 grease and oiled
it with the Lucas extreme synthetic oil. I noted some wear points from it being fired dry at the factory and being racked dry at the LGS. It was built Jan 3, 2017.

It was ridiculously easy to shoot accurately at the range the next day. It is much easier
to make small groups with than the MK25 and easily beat my Beretta M9A3 too! Which is
saying something since the M9A3 is very sweet indeed!!!

So far no wear at all on the barrel lugs...it looks unfired. An amazing pistol and I can see why they sell right away.

I like it so much I may buy another!!!

· Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Since I started this thread actually bought a SAO Legion. Only alteration is the substitution of a Wolff 17lb mainspring. Incredibly accurate pistol, especially with the slightly lighter trigger!

· Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I installed the 17lb Wolff mainspring in both my P226 Legions (SAO & DA/SA and my P226RX SAO Elite with no problems at all. I shoot Remington, Winchester and Federal range ammo almost exclusively, so I can't say you will never experience a problem with ammo with really hard primers though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.