SIG Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious if any of you have safe deposit boxes with guns, ammo, cash, etc. in them.

I work for a company that doesn't allow any firearms on the premises. I leave my gear at home because of this policy but I'm not comfortable with being so far from my personal protection. If I want to head down to Detroit for an evening out, I'd have to drive all the way home to get my stuff. It would be nice to have my gear nearby.

This thread reminds me of Jason Bourne only my stash wouldn't have 6 passports for multiple identities. ;)

·
Registered
8,405 Posts
I don't. My guns are in one of two big safes at home, or on me.

If I worked for a company that did not allow guns on premise, I'd install a small safe in my vehicle and keep the gun locked up. Unless you are on a military or other government facility etc. I'm reasonably sure that your employer cannot force you to open a safe . . . um, oh that . . . what key?

Even the police would normally need a warrant to search that if it's in the trunk or in another area that inaccessible to you while you are driving.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I installed a safe in my jeep that goes under the seat. It's really solid and works well. Some locations though don't allow you to keep a gun locked up in a car though.

·
Premium Member
16,973 Posts
Unless you are on a military or other government facility etc. I'm reasonably sure that your employer cannot force you to open a safe . . . um, oh that . . . what key?
Correct about military facilities.

As a side note, many don't know military installations prohibit possession of a firearm - even in vehicles - without specific authorization. Carry on installations is prohibited unless you are required to carry for duty.

Each installation Commander has the authority to authorize active, reserve, DOD civilians, retired military and their dependents to possess firearms in their vehicles within guidelines.

For example - Cannon AFB, NM.

There was a listing of all installations with similar authorizations online but it's been moved. When I find it again, I'll post it.

·
Registered
749 Posts
The VA is the same; No Weapons, etc. I'm going to drive 30 miles to the VA and leave my gun home? Crazy. It in my trunk or consol and in my pocket, etc when I leave. Just be cool about it.

·
Registered
17,772 Posts
Most banks have a "no guns" policy for safe deposit boxes, but since you go in a private area to put stuff in and take it out, they'd never know.

·
Registered
458 Posts
..as for companies that don't allow guns in cars, if you have a safe in the car and your gun is in it, they would need a warrant to have it opened.
Why would you be worrying about it?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Best way to move through those states that are constitutionally stunted is a bolted in safe or a Console Vault. If you are a law abiding citizen your chances of being stopped are slim. If you are stopped and have done nothing wrong, you decline a search then they will have to get a warrant and they better have just cause. If they get a warrant and search and find a locked safe, you can refuse to open it and then they have two choices. Destroy it to unlock it or get another warrant to compel. If they open your safe and your gun is slide open with a gun lock on it and no mag or ammo in the gun then they can still arrest you but it is a slam dunk dismissal. I have no record and don't even have a moving violation so concentrate on that and the rest takes care of itself. I don't smoke pot or drink and absolutely don't care if you do but if smoke is rolling out your window or the police smell booze on your breath then all of the above is out the window.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Don't ask, don't tell! Works for me.

I installed a safe in my jeep that goes under the seat. It's really solid and works well. Some locations though don't allow you to keep a gun locked up in a car though.

·
Premium Member
36,799 Posts
I have an airline approved lock box strapped under my passenger seat.
For the States I am in or go to, that is more than enough.

20.00 is all one costs. I mounted a magnet under the carpet, so it doesn't shift around.

·
Premium Member
36,799 Posts
Since you mention heading down to Detroit for an evening out, I'm guessing you are in Michigan. This interpretation may be helpful for you:

WORKPLACE SAFETY: AN EMPLOYER'S RIGHT UNDER MICHIGAN LAW TO PREVENT EMPLOYEES FROM BRINGING CONCEALED PISTOLS INTO THE WORKPLACE (THURSDAY, MARCH 20, 2014)
From the first paragraph and I call bull leavings.
I would like to see one case proven that a sign or rule prevented a shooting.
It only prevents shooting back.

According to recent Bureau of Labor Statistics, from 2006 to 2010, an average of 551 workers per year were killed as a result of work-related homicides. Seventy-eight percent of these homicides in 2010 occurred from shootings. Some of these shootings could have been prevented if the employer had implemented a policy banning firearms in the workplace.

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts

According to recent Bureau of Labor Statistics, from 2006 to 2010, an average of 551 workers per year were killed as a result of work-related homicides. Seventy-eight percent of these homicides in 2010 occurred from shootings. Some of these shootings could have been prevented if the employer had implemented a policy banning firearms in the workplace.
I have no argument with your point. However, the jist of the link is contained in the third paragraph:

All persons in Michigan may purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistols if they first obtain a license. Under Michigan law an employer “shall not prohibit an employee from . . . (a) [a]pplying for or receiving a license to carry a concealed pistol” or “(b) [c]arrying a concealed pistol in compliance with a license issued under [the firearms act].” However, the law “does not prohibit an employer from prohibiting an employee from carrying a concealed pistol in the course of his or her employment with that employer.” Unfortunately, the statute does not define what “in the course of his or her employment.”

The law is vague, at best. Having spent considerable time myself in the parking lots of several Michigan employers, the employers that have employees represented by strong unions seem to have more leeway in regards to keeping a firearm locked in the employee vehicle on company premises. Those not having similar union protections tend toward a tighter "No Firearms" stance. Nothing hard and fast, just a casual observation I have made over the years, especially since this new law was enacted in Michigan.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Since you mention heading down to Detroit for an evening out, I'm guessing you are in Michigan. This interpretation may be helpful for you:

WORKPLACE SAFETY: AN EMPLOYER'S RIGHT UNDER MICHIGAN LAW TO PREVENT EMPLOYEES FROM BRINGING CONCEALED PISTOLS INTO THE WORKPLACE (THURSDAY, MARCH 20, 2014)

If a mentally disturbed employee is determined to go out in some fantasy blaze of glory then signs are just that. Signs. Legal or illegal handgun, the workplace homicide whackjobs will exact their twisted justice on bosses that just fired them, guys that make fun of them, and women that reject their advances. Taking away the rights of level headed workers who carry for a variety of reasons means you disarm the reasonable and create a gun free zones for the wingnuts. There's no rules or legislation that overcomes someone whose mental illness has gone off the deep end into homicide. Gun free zones embolden those that would choose to use guns to kill the unarmed. I don't carry at work but sometimes think about the consequences if someone goes Manson and I'm a target or collateral damage. Sobering.

·
Premium Member
36,799 Posts
I have no argument with your point. However, the jist of the link is contained in the third paragraph:

All persons in Michigan may purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistols if they first obtain a license. Under Michigan law an employer “shall not prohibit an employee from . . . (a) [a]pplying for or receiving a license to carry a concealed pistol” or “(b) [c]arrying a concealed pistol in compliance with a license issued under [the firearms act].” However, the law “does not prohibit an employer from prohibiting an employee from carrying a concealed pistol in the course of his or her employment with that employer.” Unfortunately, the statute does not define what “in the course of his or her employment.”

The law is vague, at best. Having spent considerable time myself in the parking lots of several Michigan employers, the employers that have employees represented by strong unions seem to have more leeway in regards to keeping a firearm locked in the employee vehicle on company premises. Those not having similar union protections tend toward a tighter "No Firearms" stance. Nothing hard and fast, just a casual observation I have made over the years, especially since this new law was enacted in Michigan.
I did go on to read it. Just got inflamed at where he was coming from.

Luckily Kansas worked hard at being clear and thoughtful.
Employers can keep guns out of the building. Public lots the driver can have a gun stored in the car.
Only if the lot is fenced with a guarded gate and declaration can the car be restricted.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts