SIG Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a bit of advice from experienced shooters. I am new to this, only been shooting around 6 weeks. At first all my shots were low left. It was a combination of wrong sight picture and anticipation of the recall, I think. My shooting has been improving with each range visit.

Decided on an experiment today, first picture is single action at 25ft

Second is double action at 25ft

It appears to me that the DA is more accurate, however I am willing to be corrected.
What would you experienced folks take from these pictures. Any advice greatfully appreciated.
P226 9mm 115 grain.

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
DA isn't more accurate. You put more finger on the trigger to overcome the increased weight of pull and that brought your shots to the right.

And yes, it does look like you anticipate recoil, but only in DA, where you have more time to think about what's going on.

·
Banned
7,265 Posts
Reactions: eddieaoneill

·
Banned
7,265 Posts
The more you shoot the better you will get. You will learn to not anticipate the recoil and shoot smoothly.
And then target panic will set in and you'll learn to effectively use the gun itself as a missile. ;)

Reactions: eddieaoneill

·
Banned
6,262 Posts
Welcome to the world of shooting. I think it depends on the type of shooting you're wanting to do i.e. range, competition, defensive, and they all differ. As you shoot you will learn how the gun works with your shooting patterns, and all this will evolve as you go. The more you do it the better you will become; however, I recommend taking a class from an experienced instructor who can demonstrate proper mechanics so that you don't develop bad habits which can limit your effectiveness and proficiency.

Watch some videos on youtube, also! Jerry Miculek, Travis Haley, Chris Sajnog, Ron Avery, just to name a few, can give you a lot of great tips to get you started, but you will benefit greatly from skilled instruction in person. Then take the time to practice these mechanics at home with dry fire exercises, according to instruction, and you will see your marksmanship begin to improve. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I agree with GCBMH. Most local ranges offer one on one training from a qualified instructor for very reasonable rates and even one session can work wonders. Be sure you ask for one on one training and not just being in a class with 10 other people.

A good instructor will observe you, then show you where you need improvement, demonstrate, and follow up. They will cover stance, grip, trigger control, and sight acquisition. Considering the price of ammo and range fees such instruction is quite a bargain.

I recently posted this reply to a thread that may be interesting with some links and videos.

http://sigtalk.com/p250-p320-modular-pistols/192874-low-left-shot-pattern.html

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks very much for all the responses. Some great advice on a number of issues. The one thing that I have noticed and has been highlighted by a number of folks is the more you shoot, the better you get.:D

I've been trying to get to the range twice a week.
I managed to fix my sight picture with a bit of research, I was using the wrong one for a Sig.
I've worked quite a bit on dry firing and this has helped a lot.
You would have laughed a lot at my first attempt:(
From all the answers, the one thing I have concluded is that a few lessons from a professional will help more than anything else.
Thanks again folks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.