SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning. Im looking to get my CCW and i cant decide if i should buy the S&W M&P Sheild or Glock 43. Ive fired both at the range and fell in love with both. what is your input?

·
Registered
932 Posts
I'd prefer the Shield; partly because it is available with a safety. Lots of people here are going to tell you to just buy them both! :)

·
Registered
!986 P226 Tysons Corner
3 Posts
I've owned the M&P Shield 2.0 with integrated green laser for a few years now and could not be more impressed with this small pistol. Cannot speak for the Glock, never owned one. Never a glitch at the range and it resides in my nightstand when I don't use it as a CCW.

Oops...just saw it's not in current production...maybe find some old stock somewhere?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a shield plus, shoots beautifully. Also have 2 P365s that I use the XL grip (P365X) they shoot really nice and very accurate. Which do I carry.........P365X.
To me the Shield for whatever reason it does not carry well, for me that is.

·
Registered
511 Posts
If between the two, definitely the Shield.

Is there a reason you are not including the P365? Did you try it and just not like it as much? I ask because it is in the same size class, but higher capacity and I liked it better than both the other two.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm also a Shield or a P365 vote. I have had two G43s, never grew to like either and had some issues with both. I was a better shot with my Shield 1.0 than I am with my Glock 19.

·
Registered
22,184 Posts
You do know you're on a SIG Sauer forum, right? 😀
Buy one that fits your hand properly, that you can operate easily, :) and that serves your needs.

·
Registered
661 Posts
My son and nephew both have Glock 43’s and like them. I’ve shot them and they seem like good pistols. I’ve never carried one, but they should conceal fine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
From a quality and reliability standpoint, both are very good.

So, if it were me, it would come down to shootability. When you shot them did you have to re-adjust your hands after the first shots with one and not the other? Was one more accurate for you over the other? I've liked certain guns and they felt good when I'm shooting but I wasn't as accurate with them versus other guns. It's not the inherent accuracy of the gun, more like how the ergonomics (e.g. grip angle, length of trigger pull) affect my accuracy. I know some will say accuracy is not super important at self defense distances, but I prefer to use as accurate a handgun as practical. How quickly can you get a sight picture with each? Those are just a few things that come to mind.

If all those are equal, choose one and practice as much as possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good morning. Im looking to get my CCW and i cant decide if i should buy the S&W M&P Sheild or Glock 43. Ive fired both at the range and fell in love with both. what is your input?
I have fired both as well and liked both. I ended up buying the Glock 43. I'm a tiny woman and thought it would be more concealable.
There are a few reasons I wish I hadn't, and now I have purchased a Sig P365 XL as a second EDC.
You may want to go with the S&W Shield 2.0 over the Glock 43 for a few reasons. The MAJOR reason is magazine capacity. The Glock 43 holds only 6 rounds. That's a huge disadvantage, even if you carry extra magazines. With the M&P, you can get 10+1 or 15+1. What capacity did you shoot? Please consider the actual size you will be carrying and how it will feel on your body.
When you purchase either, consider replacing the factory iron sights with Tru-Glo (or other brand) tritium sights. I bought the orange and green, and they made a world of difference.
If you buy the M&P Shield, I don't recommend the manual safety. In a defensive situation, you won't have time to flip it off.
You didn't mention which size you want to purchase in the M&P, but I'd go with the 4" over the 3.6" unless you live in MA and have no choice. The 3.6" has a 10 lb. trigger pull. Both the M&P 4" and the Glock 43 have a 5.5 lb. trigger pull.

Also, (You didn't ask) but I have a couple of recommendations for a holster, because it took me a lot of research to get it right. Most holsters are made for guys. Most companies think that to make a holster for a woman, all you have to do is paint it pink. I call BS on that.
I have two IWB holsters, both are Kydex, which I highly recommend. Mine were a little hard to draw from at first. My CCW instructor lightly swabbed a small amount of Armor-all on the inside (please don't over do it) and it was perfect. I got my first one from The Well-Armed Woman. It's the Slim-Carry Kydex holster with the Wing-Tuck Grip, $59.99. Don't bother getting the Ulti-Clip.
The second, for my Sig P365 XL (Which I highly recommend, BTW) is from Aliengear. Love them both.
I hope this helped.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts