SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last for the year!!! Pinky swear!!!

I love revolvers. Especially Smiths. First revolver I owned was back in the 80’s, a Colt King Cobra 357 6” stainless.

But over the years I developed a soft spot for S&W revolvers. Went through the different barrel lengths and found that 3 and 4 inch barrels were my favorites.

Now one revolver that I’ve been wanting for over a decade was a Smith 22 LR. The buggers are just as expensive as the bigger calibers so the 22 just stayed as something to lust for.

I’ve been eyeing this 22 at my toy store for a few months. The perfect 4” barrel length, K frame, 10 shot. My Beretta was supposed to be the last pistol for the year, but a dim light went on in my head. My 45 acp Jerry Miculek 625 has just been collecting dust these last few years. I had reached the point of not wanting any moon clip revolvers and had been thinking of selling it for a couple years. So let’s see what I could get in trade just for laughs. Well I’ll be a monkeys uncle, my drug dealer offered me what I paid for it back in 2008. So the trade was made.

I picked up my 617 today and my old Smith was already sold. That was quick lol.

I’m thinking next weekend will be a 22 fest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
949 Posts
I have an old 617 that I actually used for Bullseye matches years ago. Mine is a 6" model, and a 6-shot.

To me there was always something "unnatural" about the 10-shot.

But I must confess there is something about danbrew's cased set of 617s that gets my heart beating faster.

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took the 617 out for her maiden voyage today

Started of shooting 50 Winchester M22 40 grain LR out of her. Mixed it up between single action to check the sights, and double action.
No need for any sight adjustment.

The plain black sights actually gave me a better sight picture than the 3-dot on my P229-22.
The pistol fired all 50 with no issues.

Then I ran 100 CCI 22 Long 29 grain. Same point of impact as the M22’s. 4 rounds needed a second strike to fire, and one just wouldn’t fire after multiple hits. Primer strikes were good, that’s just how 22’s are at times.

The more I shot, the better my groups got. I would alternate one cylinder single action, and the next cylinder double action.
The SA pull is 4 lbs 3 oz, and the DA pull is 10 lbs 14 oz.
by the end of my shooting, my trigger finger had gotten a workout from that stiff DA pull.

I’m happy to say that I’m really pleased with this revolver. Smith had done a good job timing it, no spitting lead. After a hundred rounds, I started wiping off the front of the cylinder and the barrels forcing cone so my DA pull wouldn’t get too stiff. 22 sure likes to build up fouling.

My last SA target at 7.5 yards. Somehow I let my arms lift just before my second shot. 14 shots.

Last DA target. Tired trigger finger but I was pretty happy with this even with a couple flyers. 9 shots.

Swung by Pops after the range. He dug out some Wolff rebound springs to replace the 18 lbs stock rebound spring. Installed an 11 lbs spring and the trigger still snaps back sharply. I’m keeping the stock mainspring in place to make sure I don’t have any ignition issues. 22’s don’t like light mainsprings. This change dropped both the DA and SA pull weights.

DA pull is now 8 lbs 10 oz, and the SA is now 2 lbs 7 oz.

I think I’m going back to the range tomorrow to test it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Sounds like you had some fun. Pretty stiff DA pull. It’s good that you could drop it a bit. Nice pistol.
Remember, if the Rimfire round doesn’t go off and you want to try again, wait a bit and rotate the cartridge a little. Sometimes the primer doesn’t settle evenly around the edge of the case.
I’ve always found CCI to be among the most reliable.

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sounds like you had some fun. Pretty stiff DA pull. It’s good that you could drop it a bit. Nice pistol.
Remember, if the Rimfire round doesn’t go off and you want to try again, wait a bit and rotate the cartridge a little. Sometimes the primer doesn’t settle evenly around the edge of the case.
I’ve always found CCI to be among the most reliable.
I wait 10 seconds when a 22 misfires. I never thought about rotating the round. Thanks, I’ll try that next time one refuses to fire.
I definitely had fun. It’s been a long time since I’ve played with any of my revolvers. Forgot how much I enjoy a good 6, 7, 10 shooter :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts