SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this has been lurking in a friend's safe for a while now. He is cleaning house and has offered it to me. The only prices we can find are from 1979 for $1200 and one with all the box and papers on gunbroker for $4995. Pretty sure he is shooting for the sky on that one. Does anyone have ballpark figures for it? I know the pictures are not great, i did not take them. Hopefully very soon I will have it here and can take all the photos I want.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I did and I got a lot of messages trying to buy it. With just those 2 crummy photos the bidding started at 1800 and I was not trying to sell. Thought I'd ask here too maybe get more numbers and i can average them.

Reactions: bearone2

·
Registered
68 Posts
The latest edition of Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson puts "as new in box" value at $2700, excellent at $1500, and very good at $900. My copy of BBofGV (35th edition, 2 years old) puts 100% at $1975, 98% at $1730, and 95% at $1480.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
First off, Unless you have 2 Screws under the grips, it is a 4 Screw. At least that was what they were called when I had my M 27.

Second. Looking at the condition that pistol is in, I would contact S&W about a Museum box and get them to send you copies of the original sales document. Once you can find the distributor you can try to track through the dealer and get a history of it.

It is odd to me that an N Frame like this didn't have either Smooth or Target grips on it. Those were pretty much standard for the 50s. Unless this was a "To be Issued" piece of the late 1930s or 1940s.

Shame about the cylinder lock marks on the cylinder.

You cannot get that quality of Bluing today on any firearm. those old Colts and S&Ws had a mirror finish that you could see yourself 5 inches away. That is why the Camera Glare is so bright.

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
List it on Gunbroker starting at a $100 with a $10,000 reserve on it.
This way you'll get a really good idea of what it's 'worth' without actually having to sell it.
It's called 'trolling'. And sometimes I do it just to gauge market value on guns.
Does he still have the box and papers for it?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The guy (a friend of a friend) will sell it to me for 1k because we have some common history. The 5th screw is in the front of the trigger guard I belive and you can not see it in the photos. It seems reasonable for what it is. I did not take the photos, or even seen it in person yet for that matter. We are going to meet up this week so I can have a look. Hopefully he has papers, the deal was good enough as is for the little drive to take a look see. Thanks for the info. TBC.....

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Not aware of any "Screws on the front of the Trigger Guard". Do you mean on the front of the Grip near the bottom?

The "Grip Screw" mystery refers to the Side Plate screws. The one at the top, nearest to the rear sight, was omitted in later models and replaced with a notch and fit of the side plate and the frame. Which makes this VERY Valuable.
Hint. Current M 27 in this condition in Cabela's in Richmond is going for 1800. And this would eclipse that by a LOT.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am by no means an expert. But here is an example of the mystery screw in question. I should have mine some time this week and will inspect each and every one :)

Attachments

Reactions: bearone2

·
🎖USA Veteran
3,028 Posts
What one is not seeing in the pictures is the top strap that runs from the rear sight up to the front sight. Back in the day, it was detailed checkering and fine craftsmanship assisting the shooter from glare across the top of the barrel when aiming and shooting. In later revolvers, like the Model 28 Highway Patrolman, they reduced the cost for law enforcement by using a glare proof finish vs. the fine detailed checkering.

Other details that bring so much demand for these guns is the target trigger, target hammer, target sights, recessed cylinders, pinned barrel, and in this case the 5 screws. The additional screws add no measurable improvement but are simply more desirable by collectors.

The OP got a lot of nice comments over on the S&W Forum to include numerous indications of value. It is hard to value a firearm from just pictures and many experts prefer not to do so. It is like a used Ferrari, the picture may look great but it could of been in a serious accident and repaired. These revolvers bring serious money, and it is the reason experts want to hold and look at the gun itself.

Here is a picture of the beauty of my top strap on my model 27-2.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
I am hard digging for the "Screw" on the front of the trigger guard. I admit to being lost about this and *I* had thought I knew the N frames pretty well. In any event, this is obviously a Pre 1950s weapon. (I had a 357 of 1952 manufacture once.) So the actual "Historical Value" of this weapon may be higher then you find on "Gun Broker".

Reactions: Dispo

·
🎖USA Veteran
3,028 Posts
USMC6872, It is always a wonderful day when we learn something new. It makes us a smarter person the next day hoping to again learn something else new.

I enjoy collecting since I learn so much with every new acquisition.

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
Omg would you guys stop already.
Momma said Gunbroker is the devil. And my wife agrees with her.

Now you got me wanting another old blue box Smithy.....
Same time I'm really looking for a good ole WWI-WWII Colt 1911.

Somehow I can never come across things like the one in below link!
Bangs head in sorrow...

From an estate sale for $800!!!!??? Waaaaa waaaa

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=813593

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Went for one and wound up with two

After MANY hours in the car I have myself that pre 27 357 magnum. The blueing is perfect except on the bottom of the trigger guard. No box, no tools or papers. It belonged to an LEO originally, the friend I got it from went to buy a different gun from him back in 95 and the guy was a little hard up for cash and sold him this one too, which he hesitantly took. Sometimes things have a way of following you home. Like today for example, I went for the one 357 and this 45 came home too. Never been fired all the goodies in the box. Damnedest thing happened to us both. The 45 he just wanted to see go to a good home, I think he sold it for less then the original price tag :)

Reactions: wcoyne
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.