SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m interested in any information or firsthand experience with the S&W 1006 10mm. I understand it is generally a well regarded, very strong/accurate semi auto and one of the Best 10mms around. All stainless and fairly heavy, SA/DA, the 5” version has a manual safety but the 4” does Not?? I’ve never actually seen or shot one, believe it’s been discontinued for years. 1006s in good used condition seem to sell for $1000+ on GB. Any information would be of interest and appreciated. Thank You.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Fan of all things 1st, 2nd, 3rd gen S&W here. I have not shot one either, but the 9, 40, and 45s are all great. Easily in the top 2 of my favorite classic guns. The 10mm is the holy grail of the bunch. Not certain about the safety, as all the SA/DA models in all generations that i know of, have the the slide mounted decocker/ safety. The DAO models have neither.... and yes... you will more than likely pay 1000+ for one. The 9 and 40 are very reasonably priced, usually in the 300-450 dollar range in my area, depending on model and condition. The 45 brings a higher price, usually in the 550 to 800 range, again, depending on model and condition. Here's a great guide to all the lines and gens. The part numbers make sense for the most part, but there are several confusing and contradicting ones out there. Good luck with your search!

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/guide-smith-wesson-semi-automatic-models/

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,584 Posts
The thing about the 1006 is finding magazines. The magazines are rare and you will pay dearly for each. If you find any that have followers in good condition and good springs.
I don't have one but always wanted one, since they were first released. I tried to find one back before the 10mm P220 was announced. Found out how hard it was then to find magazines.

After I bought and shot my first P220 10mm, I forgot all about the 1006. :D

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fan of all things 1st, 2nd, 3rd gen S&W here. I have not shot one either, but the 9, 40, and 45s are all great. Easily in the top 2 of my favorite classic guns. The 10mm is the holy grail of the bunch. Not certain about the safety, as all the SA/DA models in all generations that i know of, have the the slide mounted decocker/ safety. The DAO models have neither.... and yes... you will more than likely pay 1000+ for one. The 9 and 40 are very reasonably priced, usually in the 300-450 dollar range in my area, depending on model and condition. The 45 brings a higher price, usually in the 550 to 800 range, again, depending on model and condition. Here's a great guide to all the lines and gens. The part numbers make sense for the most part, but there are several confusing and contradicting ones out there. Good luck with your search!

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/guide-smith-wesson-semi-automatic-models/

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
JODY—— Appreciate the info and it’s helpful. I did Not know the1006 had a Decock Lever and was told the opposite. I don’t care for a safety on DA semi autos but might have to accept that because that’s the only way the 5” version is made (I think?).

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thing about the 1006 is finding magazines. The magazines are rare and you will pay dearly for each. If you find any that have followers in good condition and good springs.
I don't have one but always wanted one, since they were first released. I tried to find one back before the 10mm P220 was announced. Found out how hard it was then to find magazines.

After I bought and shot my first P220 10mm, I forgot all about the 1006. :D
GONE - I know the P220 makes a nice 10mm and that is also on my “List”.
Recently the 1006 caught my attention but I know little about it. Your info on mag availability is a surprise - and good to know,...thank you

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
It’s a nice gun, big and heavy. I preferred the 1076, more compact and had the decocker similar to a Sig. Mag prices were crazy and prices were high on GB so that’s where it went. The p220 10mm is better all around imo

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s a nice gun, big and heavy. I preferred the 1076, more compact and had the decocker similar to a Sig. Mag prices were crazy and prices were high on GB so that’s where it went. The p220 10mm is better all around imo
JOHNNY - does the sig P220 come in SA only? That’s really the deal breaker for me. Regarding the S&W 1006 - find it very odd that the 4” barrel version has a Decock but the 5” does Not? I like the decock lever and also want DA/SA.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
My p220 10mm has a decocker but it's several years old. I've got a friend with a S&W 1006 but I've never shot it. I think it's just got a safety but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Well in my life time I have owned three 1006's and three 1076's. I sold them all. Just because they were rather heavy. The magazines are going for about 80-100 dollars a pop. I own a couple of Sig 220 10's and I think they are far better than the Smiths. By the way 1006's are going for 800-1000 a copy. Maybe more now. They are accurate, but kind of bulky. They are also a very strong heavy duty firearm. Now they are just collectors to me. I like to shoot what I own, so I got rid of mine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
S&W 1006 - 10mm: Anyone own or shoot one?

I had a member on S&W Forum cut the TSW notch on my 1006 slide, which he also installed a decocker only lever. Converted all of my Berettas to G... so seemed like a logical move.

I considered getting a 1066 and doing the same thing... if I can find another decocker assembly. Have plenty of magazines, so getting another 10mm gun wouldn’t have much investment behind it.

I love the gun. One of those in the “I’ll never sell” group.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I had a member on S&W Forum cut the TSW notch on my 1006 slide, which he also installed a decocker only lever. Converted all of my Berettas to G... so seemed like a logical move.

I considered getting a 1066 and doing the same thing... if I can find another decocker assembly. Have plenty of magazines, so getting another 10mm gun wouldn’t have much investment behind it.

I love the gun. One of those in the “I’ll never sell” group.
I think that 15 rounder you have there is worth as much as a Glock 🙂

·
Registered
410 Posts
No 1006 but do have a 1076 & a 1066. Great guns and heavy. Also 10mms guns in 1911s, S&W 610, Glocks

·
Registered
21,584 Posts
I wanted the 1006 with the adjustable combat sights you show in the lower-left. Wasn't that a decocker-safety combination, and did it not have the same type of firing pin safety mechanism as SIG's Classic P-Series? Meaning, you could carry it with one in the chamber, hammer down and the safety off and be okay?

Reactions: Detonics

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
JOHNNY - does the sig P220 come in SA only? That’s really the deal breaker for me. Regarding the S&W 1006 - find it very odd that the 4” barrel version has a Decock but the 5” does Not? I like the decock lever and also want DA/SA.
The two-toned match elite, which I have, is da/sa. The only other two that I know of are the Legion and Scorpion. Hard to find online, probably try local gun shops or Cabella’s/Bass Pro. they’re pricey and move slow I’ve noticed, especially the Legions

·
Registered
21,584 Posts
......By the way 1006's are going for 800-1000 a copy. Maybe more now. ...
When I was looking, they were selling for a lot more than that.
Even one I found that looked like it had hardly been fired but had rust pits all over the slide.

Reactions: S_S

·
Registered
21,584 Posts
JOHNNY - does the sig P220 come in SA only? ....
You have the following options that were produced for the P220 10mm (I think I captured them all):

DA/SA

• Reverse Two-tone MSE, DA/SA, fixed combat night sights. (I have this one).
  • Emperor Scorpion, DA/SA, fixed combat night sights. (I have this one.)
  • Legion DA/SA, fixed combat night sights.

SAO

• All-natural Stainless Elite, SAO, rear adjustable target sight. front night sight.
  • All-black Nitron-finished (but still all-stainless), rear adjustable target sight, front night sight.
  • Kryptek camo Hunter, SAO, rear adjustable target sight, front Truglo night sight.
  • Legion SAO, fixed combat night sights.
  • Rare, all-natural stainless GT20 (Gun Talk Radio special edition), SAO, adjustable rear target sight, front night sight. As I recall, this was the first one released.

The Legion is the only model that could be bought with fixed combat night sights in both SAO and DA/SA. All other SAO had adjustable rear sight. All other DA/SA had fixed combat night sights.

Reactions: Chuckbuck

·
Registered
433 Posts
The 1006 has a decocking lever because the FBI insisted on it when they spec'd the pistol out. Most agents I knew that were actually issued a 1006 hated them. Heavy and bulky, hard to carry in a plainclothes application. Kentucky State Police also adopted them. Both agencies abandoned the 1006 fairly soon after adoption. The Bureau had a multitude of mechanical problems with them, and to my understanding, KSP's experience was not much better. That notwithstanding, I do know one retired agent that still has his and swears by it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
S&W 1006 - 10mm: Anyone own or shoot one?

The 1006 has a decocking lever because the FBI insisted on it when they spec'd the pistol out.
No idea with KSP... but the FBI used a 1076. The decock lever was a SIG style lever, which appeared on other xx2x and xx7x 3rd generation pistols.

The 1006 and 1066 have decocking slide safeties. The 1026 and 1076 have SIG style decockers. And the 1046 and 1086 are DAO, with no external safety. Agency contracts dictated whether the gun had the magazine disconnect.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You have the following options that were produced for the P220 10mm (I think I captured them all):

DA/SA

• Reverse Two-tone MSE, DA/SA, fixed combat night sights. (I have this one).
  • Emperor Scorpion, DA/SA, fixed combat night sights. (I have this one.)
  • Legion DA/SA, fixed combat night sights.

SAO

• All-natural Stainless Elite, SAO, rear adjustable target sight. front night sight.
  • All-black Nitron-finished (but still all-stainless), rear adjustable target sight, front night sight.
  • Kryptek camo Hunter, SAO, rear adjustable target sight, front Truglo night sight.
  • Legion SAO, fixed combat night sights.
  • Rare, all-natural stainless GT20 (Gun Talk Radio special edition), SAO, adjustable rear target sight, front night sight. As I recall, this was the first one released.

The Legion is the only model that could be bought with fixed combat night sights in both SAO and DA/SA. All other SAO had adjustable rear sight. All other DA/SA had fixed combat night sights.
Thank you for this “list”

1 - 20 of 54 Posts