SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it difficult to learn how to use the sights on the RX?

Story: At the range ystdy, with my PPS M2. 30 feet, typical training range for me, making all center mass shots and head shots. Pretty good day for me. Gentlemen comes into the booth next, and uncases a P320c RX. NICE!

I am looking at, watching.....he is kind enough to offer to let me try it. Well...of course I will.

Tried five rounds....steady, slow.....what I thought was easily red dot right on center head...(his target, and it was full of holes center mass)

I don't think I was even on the paper!!!!!!!! He said it is difficult to get used to.

Is it? What's up? I thought it would be....easier than iron sights. He wasn't doing great......but he was really slapping the trigger when I watched I thought, but he was on the paper.

Thoughts?:blush::blush::banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
For us old guys who can't see like we did fifty years ago i am going on 77 the red dot is for me. Here three full mags out of this Glock on target.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't doubt at all that it can be done. Only if there is some type of visual challenges to adjusting.

I have very strong bifocal lenses. The front sight for me is never truly "sharp", but I practice enough to be effective, and it seems to work.

I just didn't expect the issue I had, of course it was a very very minor exposure to the sight......and interested if others had a similar learning curve to using a reflex sight.

·
Registered
22,203 Posts
You may have been trying too hard to focus on the dot when you are supposed to focus on the target. Both eyes open, focused on target, bring the red dot into your field of view and you will acquire the dot - keep focusing on target. It's counterintuitive when you've always focused on the front sight with irons. You have to learn to think "focus on target".

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,632 Posts
beancrusher, you stated that the owner was "all over the place", did you notice if the red dot corresponded with the irons? May not have been correctly zeroed...
Another possibility... did you see a clearly defined "dot" or a "cluster" of grapes?
Another hazard of gaining age!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
First you have to make sure the optic is sighted properly. By your discription, hard to tell. Secondly, the optic will actually show you very quickly if you have poor fundamentals with your grip and trigger press. Irons can hide this somewhat. I.e. If you can't keep your dot from bouncing all over the place, you don't notice that with your irons.

If all the above is good, it's ridiculously easy. That's why some many will say it feels like cheating. There certainly is a bit of a learning curve but it took maybe one range session to get acclimated to the optic.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Some good thoughts and info. I want to try another one.

The dot......wasn't particularly sharp. Brief enough, not sure about "grapes"...but not a distinct as a I thought it would be.

Yes, I was focused on the dot (like my front sight training) and not the target. That is definitely a change in protocol I was not aware of.

Certainly, I have no idea how well it might have been sighted in, and I paid no attention to the iron sights at all.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,632 Posts
beancrusher, a "cluster of grapes" refers to the fact that the "dot" is not "round" so it is hard to determine the center of it. Sometime varying the intensity of the dot will help. Currently I cannot remember the "medical term", but it has been discussed her before.

·
Registered
481 Posts

Story: At the range ystdy, with my PPS M2. 30 feet, typical training range for me, making all center mass shots and head shots. Pretty good day for me. Gentlemen comes into the booth next, and uncases a P320c RX. NICE!

I am looking at, watching.....he is kind enough to offer to let me try it. Well...of course I will.

Tried five rounds....steady, slow.....what I thought was easily red dot right on center head...(his target, and it was full of holes center mass)

I don't think I was even on the paper!!!!!!!! He said it is difficult to get used to.

Is it? What's up? I thought it would be....easier than iron sights. He wasn't doing great......but he was really slapping the trigger when I watched I thought, but he was on the paper.

Thoughts?:blush::blush::banghead::banghead:
It's very easy to the point of taking the sights completely out of the picture.

Slow fire is almost automatic and too easy.

Where the red dot superimposes on the target - assuming it's calibrated - is exactly where it hits (barring jerking the trigger, etc.)

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
beancrusher, a "cluster of grapes" refers to the fact that the "dot" is not "round" so it is hard to determine the center of it. Sometime varying the intensity of the dot will help. Currently I cannot remember the "medical term", but it has been discussed her before.
Astigmatism is usually the cause of this.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have significant astigmatism correction in my lenses.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ended up selling my red dot pistol - a Glock 34 MOS / Vortex Viper.

I had to make a conscious effort not to whack the trigger like I do when I'm shooting rifles with a red dot.

I'm sure I'll buy another one eventually because they're the hot new thing right now, but it's going to take some getting used to. I prefer my irons.

·
Premium Member
16,973 Posts

----------

He's partly correct. It is difficult for a less experienced shooter - especially someone that has never shot a red dot on any gun [don't know that is or isn't your case] - but experienced shooters that already have a good platform can normally transition to a red dot on a pistol fairly quickly.

What's different is your point of focus. You focus on the target - not the sights/red dot - and simply put the red dot on the spot you want to hit.

Here's a decent primer from Rob Leathman.

Personally, I don't want a red dot on my gun.

I NEED A ROMEO 1 ON MY X-FIVE - NOW!

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
I suspect I was four or five mags in before I got onto looking at the target vs the red dot.
I then was amazed and thrilled at how much better I shot. Looking at the intended target and bringing the dot to that spot and squeeze is far superior sighting for my old eyes. I love the RX optics. I wish it was easier to carry. I know it's a hot item right now but it's more than a gimmick. It is a tool. I'm super excited to get my 320 rx outside so that I can see how quickly I can acquire multiple targets. Body to head indoors is just way too easy.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's why this a great place to be. Good people wiling to share their knowledge.

A good reminder.....there is a lot I don't know, and will just keep on learning.

My focus has been improving my shooting, and that has all been with iron sights.

I had no idea of the change in focus protocol, and hadn't read anything regarding using optics on a handgun.

Greatly appreciated SigTalk!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here are 2 test targets for some hand loads I made up for my Tanfoglio. 25 yards with the c-more sight. Too embarrassing to post the ones with open sights that I shot with my CZ TS Orange . The red dot made all the difference for me due to age and all that AARP stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
I shot my glock 19 today with an RMR and I had raptor cuts in the slide. I really like the RMR, very easy to pick up and very accurate. I had my 229 Legion out also and shot the glock better. Now I want a MK25 RX, maybe trade a 227 SAS to get one.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I ran a G34 with a Vortex Venom for a while. Groups were super tight, BUT I didn't like the fact that you need to keep up with all the fasteners (I ran a Mako frame-mounted solution). So, unless you're committed and run Loctite, it's a slight hassle, cause now you can't ultrasonic clean your frame.

I can definitely see a competitive advantage beyond 25, because iron sights would cover the target at those distances.

I don't know how well you shoot, but red dots should definitely be on paper at the very least. They will definitely magnify your micro-movements, but you just gotta believe in it and press through it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts