SIG Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have rust on both of my P220 magazine baseplates. One is worse than the other and they both had it when I bought the pistol used many, many years ago. I've just never done anything to them to try and clean them up.

They haven't gotten worse since I've had them. They're the original magazines from my West German P220 (1991).

Is there anything I can do to try and clean them up without risking damaging them any further? Or should I leave them alone?

I have some 0000 steel wool, but I didn't want to use it without asking first.

Here are some pics. I tried a couple of different variations with the light. The first 2 are the same mag, different angle/light. The first/worst-looking mag looks worse than it feels. It doesn't feel sharp when you run your finger across the plate like you'd think.

I'd really appreciate any guidance. Thanks!

Green

Green

Material property

· Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,467 Posts
+1 on Flash LB's suggestion... then do as I did, and get a couple of the newer Stainless 8 round magazines... no more worries!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help! That turned out better than I thought.

The first, worst-looking one looks better now than the second.

Where do you recommend I buy more mags to get the best, closest to original factory mags? The current 8 round mags direct from Sig?

Technology Electronic device

· Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,467 Posts
Thanks for the help! That turned out better than I thought.

The first, worst-looking one looks better now than the second.

Where do you recommend I buy more mags to get the best, closest to original factory mags? The current 8 round mags direct from Sig?

View attachment 115018

View attachment 115026
From where you are, I would suggest Greg Cote, LLC
He carries both Sig branded magazines, and ACT-MAG branded magazines... I may be wrong, but I believe ACT-MAG (Italy) makes Sigs magazines for the P220... as the ones Sig sells has a Stainless steel magazine body, and the ones ACT-MAG sells are either Blued steel, or Nickel Plated steel bodies.
If you aren't in any hurry, watch for sales, many times members here will post notices when someone is having discounts on Sig items, such as places like MidwayUSA, or CDNN Investments. Or check here in the classifieds when visiting the site.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.