SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My own fault. Storing them in a plastic bag and neglect didn't help, I guess.

I'm planning on abrading the rust off with something or other and then oil it up (also inside).

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I keep my mags in a few of those gun socks that are impregnated with silicone I believe.
Every now and then I go over the mags with a Rem Oil cloth.

The only time I experienced rust on a mag was last summer. It was my 365 XL reload mag. It wasn’t much rust and I believe it occurred from having it in my pocket on hot summer days. It was never in a gun sock with other mags so there was no contamination. I basically took it out the package tested it at the range and started carrying it.

I just took some fine grit sandpaper and went over the rust and lubed it up with CLP and kept it away from my other mags for a few weeks. It’s fine now. If I carry a spare mag I always use a mag carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
417 Posts
I had some used mags I got last year that were a bit worn, and had some rust. I gave them a total degreasing, and then took off all rust and crud with fine steel wool, and them gave them a good treatment of liquid blue, and then re-oiled once dry. They look like new again, and the blue and oil should restore the protection to the wear spots.

·
Registered
981 Posts
For the OP, why the plastic bags?
I've carried/sweated on 365 mags without any trouble to date; they do appear to be blued steel, and need the same treatment as any blued firearm.
My mags are simply stashed in plastic file boxes, all together by brand. Not a problem, tho' my shop it relatively dry.
Moon

·
Registered
697 Posts
I haven't tried it myself, but several people have recommended car wax to prevent corrosion. Seems like it might be worth a try.

BTW, the only one of my magazines that ever rusted was in a plastic bag. Experiment complete, lesson learned!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Every time I get new metal mags I disassemble them and thoroughly degrease and then wipe them down with some form of clp before reassembling them. I have found this helps tremendously with the typical new mag issues on Sig Factory mags like sticky followers and such. Haven't had any issues with feeding etc since I started doing this.

Yes this does mean potential for dust/lint issues in the long run but as long as I inspect my mags periodically that helps prevent any issues caused by debris/dirt in the mags. I just do it as part of my monthly inspection and cleaning of my pistol if I haven't been able to shoot it. I always clean and lube my pistol after range sessions. Keeps it in fighting trim that way

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For the OP, why the plastic bags?
They were in my range bag and the plastic bag kept the same mags and maglua and empty chamber indicator together. Never got wet, but hadn't used them for several months so I didn't notice. If I had oiled them probably no problem, but I bet the plastic bag didn't help. The bag was not sealed or anything. The range bag was in the garage.

edit: The mags I pocket carry don't have a problem.
edit2: I might have closed the bag after all, don't remember.

·
Registered
mk25, 516 7.5, 365xl, p2000sk, PWS mk109, Stag Model 1, Dead Air, Streamlight, Romeos and Eotechs
95 Posts
My buddy just came to me last week with a very rusted 365xl mag. He left it in his holster and it had gotten wet. Sanded it down to remove rust, and painted the mag. BBQ paint. Looks brand new

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My buddy just came to me last week with a very rusted 365xl mag. He left it in his holster and it had gotten wet. Sanded it down to remove rust, and painted the mag. BBQ paint. Looks brand new
Hmmm. I might have some Stove Brite around, lol.

·
Registered
981 Posts
For the moment, the advice to remove the surface rust should put you back in business. Yeah, the bags, and temperature change, are likely culprits.
BTW, Sneaky Pete now markets those plastic mag covers that let you pocket a spare mag; protects from lint and pocket junk. But it wouldn't hurt to give the mags a wipe with a silicone rag.
We've all gotten a little sloppy with the advent of stainless or other rust resistant gun finishes. My blued safe queens get wiped after a handling, but the carry stuff gets an as needed cleaning.
Fortunately, SIG mags aren't hard to detail strip, so there's no drama in cleaning/wiping the inside as well.
Moon

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Go to Home Depot or Lowe’s and buy 0000 steel wool. They are abrasive enough to remove surface rust yet don’t damage the surface of the magazine. I use it to clean the fret board of my Taylor Guitars without any problems.

After you get rid of the surface rust, spray it with dry lube (graphite etc) so it won’t attract any dirt yet provide an layer of coating on the metal surface. I use this practice for all my magazines especially the mags I use in competition. Don’t ever put any of your mags on a sealed plastic bag unless there’s a bag of desiccant in it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
BoeShield T9, developed by Boeing to protect critical spare parts in storage has consistently tested as one of the very best rust inhibitors, and does well against salt air and salt spray -- similar to salty sweat. Spray it inside and out and wipe off the excess.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have used good quality car wax on mags. The original mag finish will dictate if it’s plausible. It if a blued or smooth finish to start with no problems, if it’s a phosphate or park finish then that’s a no go. Disassemble, clean and then a decent coat of wax, liquid or paste. Let it dry completely and then buff. This helped keep my mags in great shape on my 226 uniformed patrol duty weapon while exposed to all sorts of weather from humid summers to thunderstorms and flooding to sub zero freezing spells.
I haven't tried it myself, but several people have recommended car wax to prevent corrosion. Seems like it might be worth a try.

BTW, the only one of my magazines that ever rusted was in a plastic bag. Experiment complete, lesson learned!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Seal 1 CLP plus paste is my choice.
P365 mags has a crappy finish that will rust just by looking at them, so Seal 1 past once in a while helps and no rust after 6K rounds.
If mags will be stored for a long time a ziploc bag is ok but light coat of Seal 1 will keep them alive for ever!

·
Registered
377 Posts
For the moment, the advice to remove the surface rust should put you back in business. Yeah, the bags, and temperature change, are likely culprits.
BTW, Sneaky Pete now markets those plastic mag covers that let you pocket a spare mag; protects from lint and pocket junk. But it wouldn't hurt to give the mags a wipe with a silicone rag.
We've all gotten a little sloppy with the advent of stainless or other rust resistant gun finishes. My blued safe queens get wiped after a handling, but the carry stuff gets an as needed cleaning.
Fortunately, SIG mags aren't hard to detail strip, so there's no drama in cleaning/wiping the inside as well.
Moon
I have a couple of those Sneaky Pete Ammo Armor sleeves, for my pocket mags. On and off real easy, andkeeps them from getting clogged with lint and stray Skittles. Keeps the fingerprints off the mags, too.

·
Registered
407 Posts
They were in my range bag and the plastic bag kept the same mags and maglua and empty chamber indicator together. Never got wet, but hadn't used them for several months so I didn't notice. If I had oiled them probably no problem, but I bet the plastic bag didn't help. The bag was not sealed or anything. The range bag was in the garage.

edit: The mags I pocket carry don't have a problem.
edit2: I might have closed the bag after all, don't remember.
It happens. One night last Fall I forgot I hadn't removed my backup mag and its carrier from my jeans and washed both as well as the SD ammo in the magazine. I realized what I'd done when I heard the dryer going "thunk, pause, pause, thunk, pause, thunk" etc. Immediately fished it out of the dryer, removed it from the mag holder, unloaded it, inspected the rounds, set them aside, took the magazine apart, dried it with a microfiber towel, CLPed the inside, outside, spring, and baseplate using the SLIP2000 EWL 30 I linked to above, let it sit for five minutes, gave it a wipe with a different microfiber towel, applied one more light coat, let that sit for five more minutes, gave it a wipe with the microfiber towel, and done. The SD ammo was set aside to use only at the range for practice and fresh ammo was reloaded into the magazine.

Embarrassing? Yes. Any issues with the mag? No. Also no issues with the SD ammo.

Things happen. Also, Sticky Holsters' magazine sleeves provide excellent protection through all washing cycles and tumble drying. 🤣

1 - 20 of 27 Posts