SIG Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very interested in a target model Ruger MK IV, but they do not seem to be available.

The MK III or a Browning Buckmark are avilable, but I do not like the idea of dry firing a rimfire, which is required for disassembly of the Ruger, or needing a tool to disassemble, which is required for the Browning.

What is your opinion, should I wait for a MKIV, or get over my issues with one of the other two?

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
The Mark IV is so easy to break down and such a fantastic gun I’d wait for one. I do second the victory though. I love mine. Extremely accurate and a fantastic factory trigger. And very easy to disassemble.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have Ruger MKIV, S&W Victory, Browning Buckmark Hunter.
Ruger MKIV easiest to field strip and clean, and shoots really well. Definitely a gun worth waiting for.
But I have to say my Victory is a close 2nd. Have you also considered a Victory? JMO -YMMV
Any issues with reliability, or the takedown screw backing out?

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
My takedown screw has never back out with a couple thousand rounds through it. I believe Smith made a change to the screws around 3 years ago to remedy the issue.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I’m still waiting for one to be available for use by my 13 year old daughter. She wants a red MK IV Lite so I can put my extra cmore slideride on it.

She’s starting to take over my competition guns so I’ll just buy her one for herself :lol:.

·
Registered
679 Posts
The Buckmark is also a fine pistol. I've recently seen the 7-1/4" Hunter like mine readily available NIB for well under $499. But like the earlier Ruger MK III, a PIA to field strip.

The Buckmark requires removal of the sight base to be able to remove the barrel; so if you have an optic mounted, you have to re-zero every time.
I just avoid a complete field strip and use a bore cable/patch or rod with brush pulling from ejection port to muzzle. My Buckmark is very reliable and most accurate, but I end up shooting my Ruger MK IV or Victory a whole lot more. -JMO

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Lots of great .22s out there. My newest ...not a Target model ... a MK IV Competition Model ... you want one, if you can find one.

Shown with my old school MK II Government Model and MK II Clark Bullseye Gun ... I like .22s. I take one or more on every range day.

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
Agree. I have a MkIII, and after I took it down twice, the process is pretty trivial. (I really wonder what's up with folks that keep having trouble with it . . .)

And RE dry-fire, no not really . . . the first thing out is the strut/spring, so any subsquent need to pull the trigger fires *nothing*.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Ruger MkI or MkII.
The hammer strut during re-assembly is far from Rocket Science.
MkII Gov't 6-7/8" w/ extras added.

MkI,MkII 5-1/2" Hvy Bbl & 10"Hvy bbl varieties set up identically.
Agree. I have a MkIII, and after I took it down twice, the process is pretty trivial. (I really wonder what's up with folks that keep having trouble with it . . .)

And RE dry-fire, no ott really . . . the first thing out is the strut/spring, so any subsquent need to pull the trigger fires *nothing*.

IMHO the MK II are the best models. I like the MK1 & MKIII as well (but prefer the mag releaseon the MK I & MK II). The MK IV is for those without the mechanical aptitude to disassemble and reassemble a gun.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I got my wife a Mark IV tactical. It has picatinny rails top and bottom and a threaded barrel. I put a crimson trace green laser on the bottom rail and the first time she ever shot it she was making an aluminum can dance around at 20 yards. She had not ever fired a handgun in her life prior to that day. As long as she’s got her laser she’s deadly accurate.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Lots of great .22s out there. My newest ...not a Target model ... a MK IV Competition Model ... you want one, if you can find one.

Shown with my old school MK II Government Model and MK II Clark Bullseye Gun ... I like .22s. I take one or more on every range day.
Tell me about the "ears" at the rear of the Clark? Were they part of the Clark 'package', or something you added later?

This is one of my favorite .22 pistols.

Reactions: PaulWVa

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Tell me about the "ears" at the rear of the Clark? Were they part of the Clark 'package', or something you added later?
This is one of my favorite .22 pistols.

This a "bolt racker" from Majestic Arms ...$29.99 It works as advertised. A neat little add-on to an already heavily modified pistol.

Reactions: CatmanIsGod

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am very interested in a target model Ruger MK IV, but they do not seem to be available.

The MK III or a Browning Buckmark are avilable, but I do not like the idea of dry firing a rimfire, which is required for disassembly of the Ruger, or needing a tool to disassemble, which is required for the Browning.

What is your opinion, should I wait for a MKIV, or get over my issues with one of the other two?
I can’t speak to the Browning, but in my opinion the MK IV is worth waiting for based on takedown alone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts