SIG Talk banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
I field strip, inspect, and lube. A few simple function tests and I am now confident the pistol will function.

On a revolver I'm good to go at this point, without firing a shot. Really.

A semiautomatic has the magazine to shake down, a few specific function checks and I'm good. Not a shot fired.

At this point I may be confident the firearm will function but I haven't a clue how the sights are regulated. I suppose I'm curious about how it will cycle under recoil too.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I guess I'm somewhere in the middle on round count.

Like others, I first run multiple boxes of range ammo (testing all mags), followed by at least one box of my carry ammo, through any new pistol before pressing it into CCW service.

Every range trip includes all of my designated carry guns, to keep me comfortable/accurate with anything that I will carry.

Unless I have encountered incipient dependability issues, this simple ritual seems to sufficiently build confidence and competence with a new pistol.

I inspect/oil, but rarely clean a new pistol and have experienced no surprises...

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
I'm a bit of an odd duck on this one. First of all more than half of what I use as range loads are my own reloads, which I load a bit on the hot side. The other thing I do, which my uncle taught me over 30 years ago, for testing semi-automatics load light, around 25% light. Because if you're gun has any type of issue that's where you'll find it. I recently did that with my P229, with 115s and 124s, 50 rounds each not a single malfunction. However one of my fnx45s had about a 20% choke Factor when I did that, the other two did not. My Ruger sr40 did fine as well with the 40 caliber spring, but not the 10 mm Glock spring. But that's to be expected!

·
Registered
436 Posts
My minimum is 50 rounds of quality FMJ (Lawman/Federal) and 50 rounds of my carry ammo (Gold Dot).

Then, every 3 to 4 months I burn up my 2 EDC SD mags.
I failed to mention, that I always shoot the current SD rounds in my carry guns, both to test the carry mags and replace the ammo with fresh, un-carried rounds.

Although not a strong concern, shooting/replacing my carry ammo reduces the risk of any bullet set-back and/or mag contamination (lint, dirt, foreign objects).

It also gives me a little practice with my actual carry ammo...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I buy a lot of used firearms. They have to have a 100% success rate (no fail to feed, fire, extract, or eject) of 100rnds. If there's a failure it has to be remediated and the test starts all over.

That being said, if I buy a new high quality gun I'll put 50rnds through it to make sure the sights are accurate and the mags work as advertised.

·
🎖USN / USA Retired
368 Posts
With a new semi-auto handgun planned for carry duty, I put two to three hundred Winchester White Box FMJ ammo through it to check for infant mortality. I then put one or two boxes of different manufacturer's self-defense ammo through it to check for ammo sensitivity. I usually have four to five hundred rounds through it before I carry it.

With a revolver, it takes six to twelve rounds of my favorite ammo.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I field strip, inspect, and lube. A few simple function tests and I am now confident the pistol will function.

A semiautomatic has the magazine to shake down, a few specific function checks and I'm good. Not a shot fired.

At this point I may be confident the firearm will function but I haven't a clue how the sights are regulated. I suppose I'm curious about how it will cycle under recoil too.
my EA would bite you in the *** doing that, because seperately they are flawless, but the mag slips a bit down when loaded and FTFs pop up far too much for my tastes

Reactions: M1903A3

·
Registered
15 Posts
I only carry reputable brands already in service around the country and previously tested for reliability by LE/Mil. One range trip to confirm no manufacturer issues using practice ammo. One mag of the expensive stuff however I always rack several full mags of hollow points through the gun in the basement to see if there are any indications of feeding or extracting before heading to the range. If no issues with this it gets carried.

·
Registered
212 Posts

I was trained to shoot 500 rounds in a pistol before considering it "broken in". That is with FMJ.
I shoot around 200 rounds of defensive ammo before I carry that particular ammo in my defensive firearm.
All of this is somewhat cumulative.
200 rounds of FMJ for a pistol of the same type as one that I am using (less need to develop muscle-memory from scratch)
40-60 rounds of defensive ammo.
For revolver, I shoot at least 200 rounds for break-in. I usually shoot .38spc in my .357mag revolvers, so it's 200 rounds of 38 and 50 or 357 and at least 10 of self defense ammo. (Revolver, I have found, require less training for muscle memory since mine at all very similar.)
For magazines, I shoot them at the range until I am comfortable that they are reliable. 100 round minimum to break-in a new mag. (5, 10, 15, 20, 30 steps)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I load all the magazines full of fmj.
The gun is stored for a week or two.
Take it to the range and fast fire every mag.
Then do some target shooting with it.
Clean it and load all mags with hp’s and it is stored for a week or two.
Take it to the range and fast fire each mag.
Target shooting after. If there is no issues,
Clean, load hp’s and it’s good to go.
Fast fire a mag thru it once a month, clean, cc and repeat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bought a P365 four years ago, 200 FMJ with no issues so became EDC. 1000+ rounds of SD & range ammo since and no issues. Loved it.
Last month I bought a new P365XL and put a green dot on it. Less than 400 rounds of FMJ later the slide now rattles and I have had at least six Failure To Eject. Sig won't listen to my complaints. VERY disappointed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It depends. For mousegun backup it was 300 rounds of the ammo to be carried. Sometimes it might be only about 60 rounds… or even less in a quality revolver. YMMV - I know some old guys who feel good after one magazine or one cylinder full.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts