SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I am not an expert, but I do maybe 500 dry fires with snap caps to get the feel for the trigger, the grip, draw from the holster, sight picture, disengage trigger safety (if it has one), etc. So not just putting rounds through it but the entire action as if I need to use it. For shooting I load and shoot each magazine twice with range ammo and then a box of carry. Keep in mind that each magazine has also had a lot of snap caps loaded.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am not an expert, but I do maybe 500 dry fires with snap caps to get the feel for the trigger, the grip, draw from the holster, sight picture, disengage trigger safety (if it has one), etc. So not just putting rounds through it but the entire action as if I need to use it. For shooting I load and shoot each magazine twice with range ammo and then a box of carry. Keep in mind that each magazine has also had a lot of snap caps loaded.
I like this answer, but I may be biased as I do something pretty similar. I'll run a box or two of range ammo through it, and finish with a mag or two of the good stuff. Then I'll take it home and clean it, and it's ready to roll. I don't stop there, though- I run it through a similar routine on each trip to the range to ensure it continues to function well. I'll do this until it is time to store it in the safe when the weather changes and requires a different carry option.

·
Registered
23,802 Posts
A lot less with today's ammo prices.

Actually, I have enough that I already feel.confident carrying so I'm not conducting any more "confidence testing" on new guns for now.

But I normally run 400-500 for confidence.

By the way, I'm running for President of the United States for the TAITDH Party - The Ammo Is Too Damned High!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I typically do 200 rounds of range, and about 100 of self defense. As others mentioned, doing dry fire exercises too.

By the way, I'm running for President of the United States for the TAITDH Party - The Ammo Is Too Damned High!
You have my vote! I looked at 300 Blackout at a LGS, and they wanted $40 for subs. I found them for $30 at a place much closer to me! Some people are just insane and not wanting to budge. Makes no sense since the first place is a much bigger/popular store.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have experienced that I get fail to feed about 1 in every 50 rounds but it’s not the round count. It happened to me only with defense HP rounds in fully loaded mags. So, you may have 500 flawless FMJ down the pipe (I had even more), it doesn’t translate to HP. And it is also not indicative if you only partially load the mags every time. (It had never occurred to me when I only load 6 to 10 rounds in the mag). Especially with hi capacity mags, like 17 or 20 rounders, you must test them loaded to the maximum of what you’d ever load into them. Lastly, must test every round down to an empty mag. In a fully loaded mag, the issue may occur on the first few rounds or the last few rounds. Full loaded mag is heavy and it changes the timing of feeding which must work in concert with the slide cycling speed and angle of the feed ramp.

·
Registered
23,802 Posts
^^^^ He is right. When I said how many I shoot for confidence, I refer only to my chosen self-defense round. I don't count FMJs. That, of course, increases the cost of the confidence testing. Significantly.

Reactions: JV

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
when I get a group like this

Art Circle Space Font Rectangle

and minimal FTE FTF /other malfunctions

Reactions: Mike55 and M1903A3

·
Registered
2 Posts
300 - 500
But not all at once.
I like to see how it does after about 3-4 months of the mags being loaded too.
Gun issues tend to show up early, where mag issues creep up over time.

Yes, I know mags are a maintenance item. But who remember this and checks them as they should. Not many people I know of personally.

·
🎖USAF Retired
4,881 Posts
500 FMJ, 100 Hollow Point Carry. As long as it has been flawless for the last 400 total rounds it’s considered good to go. The key is getting through 300 FMJ flawlessly before I run the expensive stuff.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts