SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

Round count reliablilty issues... what?

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Valdemar 
#1 ·
I read this article, and I kept asking myself, what in the world is this guy even talking about? I've owned a Hi Power, I loaded them up to 13 rounds in a 13 round magazine and never had a problem loading with the slide closed, let alone any FTF, FTE, or anything like that.

Same applied to all the sigs, AKs, Glocks, Berettas, XDs, XDms, and Smiths I've fired. Not a single problem.

My P229 has been sitting in the safe for many months, the mags fully topped off. I took it to the range and it still fed, and shot reliably.

I can only conclude, either the guy is paranoid, or magazines back in the day really were bad ju ju.

Massad Ayoob: Reliability VS. Round Count | The Daily Caller

#4 ·
Struck me to be pretty straight forward. Mags have improved......there were issues in the past....

Reactions: agumon12
#6 ·
Perspective?

I went to the range today with a friend who had some older guns. What struck me is that those of us new to this don't have a lot of perspective. The design, engineering and execution
of the modern firearm is pretty amazing. Add to that the improvement in ammo and problems are rare (?). Then add to that the very big improvements in gun Lube and we don't see a lot of problems at all.

So no, a new person to shooting may not know what is being talked about in that article.

#7 ·
Mass has a long memory of pistol mags (1911) that would take a set if they were on the shelf for a longer period of time. I keep 2 mags out of 3 loaded, and cycle them monthly.so they are 2 months on, 1 off.
I don't need to do this, I just do.

#9 ·
This is still the case with certain pistol/mag combos. Living in a restricted state, I can only have 10 rounds. My factory M&P mags are so tight with 10 in them, I have to really smack the mag to get it to fully seat with the slide closed. Another indicator is not being able to use my Uplula to load the 10th round. So only 9+1 for me.

Some people "fix" them by clipping off a coil or two from the mag spring or gently sanding the follower to give it a bit more room. One has to be very careful not to commit a felony by manufacturing a "large capacity" magazine in this case.

I don't have this issue with some other pistol/mag combos and not with any below 10 round capacity.

#12 ·
This is an old story. I retired in 1993 from Department that was using p226 9mm. We only went to qualify 1 time a year. They change that just before I retired. On our yearly qualification we removed the springs from our magazines and got replacements. The staff advised that they took these springs and let them "rest", I think it was for a year and then reissued the springs. Don't recall any word of any failure to feed or fire. We had the dummy rounds that the guy next to you would load in your magazines to practice clearing the pistol if you had a problem.

#16 ·
I was hunting with handguns 46 years ago dads model model 28 . I was , young , dumb and learning as I went but at least I was out and about in the swamps of south florida and loved it .

I feel there a better class of experts to pay attention to than what massad can offer . To many smoke and mirrors in his personal background . His claim to fame is far more ground edin writing about what others have lived and learned . Some time articles are out dated but get re wrote and release as meaningful too .

Care to read up on a real expert try George Harris , of sig sauer academy and international firearms consultants .
Principals | International Firearms Consultants

#17 ·
There is absolutely nothing controversial in what Ayoob says in this piece. Loading magazines down is and has been very common. I don't understand the confusion here. Many magazines loaded to "capacity" are somewhat difficult to seat and in fast reloads may miss seating enough for the catch to engage. His points are totally sound. I have AR's that are very stiff when loaded to full capacity and I always load the mags down by one or two rounds. Many do. ditto a couple pistols that I download by one.

Some single stack pistols will stub the first round of a fresh mag. This has been reported with SIG 225's and my Ruger LC9 did it until the mags were used a number of times. In fact, for a time I carried one FMJ round on top of my JHP's in order to have the extra round. Once things loosened up as they are now, no problem, the pistol feeds perfectly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.