SIG Talk banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Would any of that cell phone screen protector film help on the Romeo?
To answer Wasabi I have but 2 words: LIQUID ARMOR. This: Amazon.com: Hipstreet Liquid Screen Protection Kit (LIQSP01): Computers & Accessories
I worked at Staples for 6 yrs and we sold and applied this exact product and it works IF applied properly like this:
1. Clean surface really well using smooth side of brown, included patch.
2. Apply evenly & GENEROUSLY (pad will last long enough to do 2 phone screens and the camera lenses), let dry x14 min (time this. do NOT fail at this step).
3. Buff using the "rough" side of the brown patch until screen, lens, Red dot lenses, etc. are clear.
4. **Go EASY on the surfaces- you can use your phone, etc but don't do anything to it that might scratch or damage the surface x24 hrs. This will allow it to fully cure.
!! Liquid Armor actually bonds to the surface and does NOT come off. After full cure it'll be just under hardness of diamond. We used to demo this by taking a screw driver and "scratching" across our phone screens repeatedly and people would FREAK out! No marks; NO scratches whatsoever. That sh*t is amazing.
NOTE All the bad reviews of this are probably from people that didn't apply it correctly. Ours never failed us and we all swear by it. I've used it on Kindles, Phones, LCD screens on my camera, my Garmin screen for cycling. It works against scratches. It won't protect against impacts- drop any of these on the rocks face down, and you're gonna have issues.

That's my $ .02. ymmv

·
Registered
396 Posts
To answer Wasabi I have but 2 words: LIQUID ARMOR. This: Amazon.com: Hipstreet Liquid Screen Protection Kit (LIQSP01): Computers & Accessories
I worked at Staples for 6 yrs and we sold and applied this exact product and it works IF applied properly like this:
1. Clean surface really well using smooth side of brown, included patch.
2. Apply evenly & GENEROUSLY (pad will last long enough to do 2 phone screens and the camera lenses), let dry x14 min (time this. do NOT fail at this step).
3. Buff using the "rough" side of the brown patch until screen, lens, Red dot lenses, etc. are clear.
4. **Go EASY on the surfaces- you can use your phone, etc but don't do anything to it that might scratch or damage the surface x24 hrs. This will allow it to fully cure.
!! Liquid Armor actually bonds to the surface and does NOT come off. After full cure it'll be just under hardness of diamond. We used to demo this by taking a screw driver and "scratching" across our phone screens repeatedly and people would FREAK out! No marks; NO scratches whatsoever. That sh*t is amazing.
NOTE All the bad reviews of this are probably from people that didn't apply it correctly. Ours never failed us and we all swear by it. I've used it on Kindles, Phones, LCD screens on my camera, my Garmin screen for cycling. It works against scratches. It won't protect against impacts- drop any of these on the rocks face down, and you're gonna have issues.

That's my $ .02. ymmv
Have you tried this on an optic previously? Once I get an optic, I might try this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have you tried this on an optic previously? Once I get an optic, I might try this.

My Romeo hasn't arrived so no, not yet, but I will because I really trust the Liquid Armor. I am not lying when I said we used screw drivers and even needle nose pliers on our screens. Customers would balk like we were full of **** like, "OK, whatever, man..." Then I'd ask for their phone. They hand it to me and I'd grab a pair of scissors. "Can I take this to your.."
" WAIT WAIT WAIT!! What are you doing!!?? Give my phone back."
Then I'd take the scissors to my phone and back and forth, with effort and pressure. Nothing. No scratches. My Garmin has a plastic screen and 0 fog or issue after application so should work fine on the Romeo.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I somehow ended up with 2 Romeo Zeros. My only complaint, so far is even with my small fingers, I have to use a stylus, or the end of a pen to change brightness.
As far as it being plastic, C-mores only offered plastic sights for years. As a competition shooter, I've cracked 2 C-mores, and can't say that there's ANY brand of dot sight I haven't seen fail. All of my "carry" guns also wear lasers, which I've had a couple fail, over the years too. I've also had iron sights walk sideways. NOTHING is 100% which is why my carry guns have at least 2 sighting options.

·
Premium Member
3,794 Posts
As others have said, I'm also not a fan of the brightness adjustment. But, to the Zero's credit, it is a very bright dot and now that I've settled on the brightness setting that works for me both day and night, it's not something I plan to mess with frequently.

As for the durability of the housing - 'weapons-grade polymer' is pretty tough stuff, and in order to get a super light micro-red dot, compromises have to be made. You aren't going to get something that small and light that's also built like tank. This is an ultra-light, mini RDS designed for micro-pistols for personal protection, not an optic designed for heavy duty use or to be taken into battle. Different mission, which calls for different evaluation.

Much like MAC's "gauntlet" tests, I think the whole "drop test" thing has gotten somewhat over-blown, but it sure is good clickbait.

Nonetheless, I'll be curious to see how mine holds up over time, under the actual use that the optic is intended for. Either way, I'll share my observations here. And if the Zero shits the bed prematurely, I'll probably be looking at a Swampfox Sentinel as a replacement.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just put the shroud on my RZ. Minimal additional bulk/weight and tough. For those that done know calling sig will get you one for free with just shipping (10 bucks). Been carrying on my 365xl and it seems to be doing well.

·
🎖USA Veteran
3,067 Posts
I never was able to test out my Romeo Zero durability because I got a bad unit but after I got the Shield SMSc I found this holster from Hidden Hybrid Holsters and I like it a lot.
Very nice holster. I went on their web site and see they make the holsters with a combination of Kydex and leather, but I couldn't determine if the Kydex holster itself is leather lined or not. Could you tell me if it is line or not? Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,794 Posts
I just put the shroud on my RZ. Minimal additional bulk/weight and tough. For those that done know calling sig will get you one for free with just shipping (10 bucks). Been carrying on my 365xl and it seems to be doing well.
Would you mind posting a pic of the installed shroud?

·
Registered
17,920 Posts
This little sight may be more durable than many believe. Sig claims the lens is 10 times more impact resistant than glass and while they're going to brag a bit on their products, I'd guess it's at least 5 times more impact resistant if they're claiming 10 times and it's possible that it is 10 times more impact resistant. At any rate, if that's true, then this sight will be more durable than any sight with a glass lens.

ROMEOZero has a lightweight polymer housing. SIG lists it as made from weapons-grade textured polymer for the body and the trademarked SpectraCoat HD polymer system for the lens. (Yes, both the housing and lens are made from polymer.) This makes it lighter in weight and a bit less bulky overall. It also means it may be more scratch-resistant and durable. (According to SIG, this lens is 10 times more impact-resistant than a standard glass lens.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I dropped my 365xl w/ romeo zero the other day. Apparently my iwb holster grip of the gun was a tad loose when I sat up from the toilet. Gun slid right out as I pulled up my pants and slammed the tile floor. Id say when it fell, my belt was about 3’ off the floor. I can tell the romeo is what hit the floor first because no marks on the gun itself and on the front lip of the romeo the black coating is scratched off.

have you shot it since then? If so did it move at all, or need any readjusting? Ive been terrified about dropping mine...been lucky so far

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not sure why SIG doesn't include the rear sight and plate with the XL/RZ mounted ones. They also don't include the metal outer casing for the RZ. If you buy an XL, and buy the RZ separate, the gun comes with the plate/rear sight, and the RZ comes with the metal casing.

·
Registered
17,920 Posts
Not sure why SIG doesn't include the rear sight and plate with the XL/RZ mounted ones. They also don't include the metal outer casing for the RZ. If you buy an XL, and buy the RZ separate, the gun comes with the plate/rear sight, and the RZ comes with the metal casing.
I'm a little confused. Are you saying that if you buy an XL/R mounted there's no rear sight? Mine came with a rear sight. Doesn't co-witness, but it's good enough to use in case of a Romeo Zero failure.

Anyway, mine didn't come with an outer metal casing for the Romeo Zero which is just as well because if it did, I wouldn't use it as it would no longer fit my Alien Gear Holster with the metal casing.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I’ve been hard carrying a 365/R0 at work and edc. Yes, I’ve scratched the lens from cleaning initially. Now I only use lens cleaner wipes/spray. No more scratches. Have not had any issues with the casing. As others have said, there is a metal shroud that will cover it. I am more than happy with it as an option.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There is back up rear sight on the RZ, what I was talking about was the actual plate with a standard rear sight that is on the pistol if you buy it without the optic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a little confused. Are you saying that if you buy an XL/R mounted there's no rear sight? Mine came with a rear sight. Doesn't co-witness, but it's good enough to use in case of a Romeo Zero failure.

Anyway, mine didn't come with an outer metal casing for the Romeo Zero which is just as well because if it did, I wouldn't use it as it would no longer fit my Alien Gear Holster with the metal casing.

I added the Romeo Zero to my XL.
I have the metal shield but I didn't install it on the Sig.
It stands too proud.
It fit the Canik Elite (with metal shroud) just fine.
But the Sig is considerably narrower.

But the reason I posted this is that the Dot and the irons (plastics?)
actually DO co-witness. At least on mine they do.
Close up they don't LOOK like they do - because of parallax.
But at 20 feet or more they are dot on.

(edit)
The rear sight now is the one on the R0.
Not the original one that came with the pistol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Second post covered it nicely. Durable enough for typical day to day but lens is soft. Light weight on the gun. They do make a shroud for the Romeo Zero

21 - 39 of 39 Posts