SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a standard p365 XL and am considering getting an RZ for it; however I have no experience with pistol red dots so there’s one thing I’m not sure about. I carry the XL at 4:00 all day, every day. This includes home carry, so I am frequently sitting, laying, leaning, etc in ways that put a lot of pressure on the gun. I don’t worry about it because I know there’s nothing on there that I might break, but pistol red dots look like they’re pretty fragile. Are these things meant to stand up to the daily abuse of concealed carry?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I’ve been carrying my XL with a romeo zero as my EDC since December. So far, it’s still going strong. The lens is not very scratch resistant. I have several scratches on mine even though I have been very careful when cleaning it. I also carry at 3-4 o’clock and the first holster I was using allowed the lens to sometimes contact my belt. The scratches do not effect the operation/performance of the runway zero.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I dropped my 365xl w/ romeo zero the other day. Apparently my iwb holster grip of the gun was a tad loose when I sat up from the toilet. Gun slid right out as I pulled up my pants and slammed the tile floor. Id say when it fell, my belt was about 3’ off the floor. I can tell the romeo is what hit the floor first because no marks on the gun itself and on the front lip of the romeo the black coating is scratched off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Beyond the lens, remember that the optic is just plastic. I would not think it would stand up over time as well as an optic made of metal.
Wouldn't this same concept apply to handguns as well? Glock frames are made out of plastic (polymer) and they have held up very well for decades now.....
While true, these gun frames are a bigger and more solid unit of mass. The Romeo Zero is a small piece of plastic that doesn’t have much mass to it which makes it more susceptible to damage especially when considered it is mounted to the top of a firearm which often will expose it to being the first point of the firearm to be unintentionally contacted, bumped, jarred etc. Continuing, the Glock frames you reference don’t house any sort of electronics to protect. They are simply frames to support the guts, if I may, of the firearms which are not made up of delicate buttons, wires, etc. The firearms innards are constructed of materials that the polymer frame more than enough protects. Long winded answer and I’m by no means an expert. Just my thoughts. Also, why I ordered a Holosun 407k which is aluminum framed. Too many known issues with the Romeo Zero for me to take a chance on them. I get that they aren’t all problematic but it’s not something I’m gonna roll the dice on.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My Romeo Zero (on my 365XL) is defective, Sometime the red dot is there sometimes its not. Battery has been replaced it worked for a while but then while shooting the dot would shut off. I would have to tap the slide or top of the optic to get it to work. I will send it back to Sig, when it did work it was amazing. Shooting fast and accurate was easy, there is a slight training curve but well worth the time money and ammo.

·
Registered
121 Posts
While true, these gun frames are a bigger and more solid unit of mass. The Romeo Zero is a small piece of plastic that doesn’t have much mass to it which makes it more susceptible to damage especially when considered it is mounted to the top of a firearm which often will expose it to being the first point of the firearm to be unintentionally contacted, bumped, jarred etc. Continuing, the Glock frames you reference don’t house any sort of electronics to protect. They are simply frames to support the guts, if I may, of the firearms which are not made up of delicate buttons, wires, etc. The firearms innards are constructed of materials that the polymer frame more than enough protects. Long winded answer and I’m by no means an expert. Just my thoughts. Also, why I ordered a Holosun 407k which is aluminum framed. Too many known issues with the Romeo Zero for me to take a chance on them. I get that they aren’t all problematic but it’s not something I’m gonna roll the dice on.
I’m no expert on this matter myself, but from what I have learned via research, is that the major electrical components are allegedly enclosed in epoxy. Furthermore, the race is on for decreasing weight to lesson the “g” forces from the sudden accel, decell of the slide. Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
But have you received your holosun yet? Or one of those who have been waiting for months?
Holosun just posted a video on their Facebook account that stated product will start shipping mid-May barring no further setbacks due to the pandemic. I currently run a Romeo Zero, but I've only put a couple of hundred rounds downrange with it. I will say the controls on the Romeo are absolute s***. I have no idea what Sig was thinking putting the brightness button just behind the lens. The button is pretty small, has no tactile feel, and you need baby fingers to get to it. And it's hard to not touch the lens in the process. The sight adjustments require a tiny allen key, which I'm sure I'll eventually lose.

Those things alone are keeping me from cancelling my Holosun pre-order.

Reactions: CZSIG-Vinny

·
Registered
42 Posts
Holosun just posted a video on their Facebook account that stated product will start shipping mid-May barring no further setbacks due to the pandemic. I currently run a Romeo Zero, but I've only put a couple of hundred rounds downrange with it. I will say the controls on the Romeo are absolute s***. I have no idea what Sig was thinking putting the brightness button just behind the lens. The button is pretty small, has no tactile feel, and you need baby fingers to get to it. And it's hard to not touch the lens in the process. The sight adjustments require a tiny allen key, which I'm sure I'll eventually lose.

Good to know. I’ll let the dust settle on guys getting their holosun and some actual user experience before ordering one. I will say, even though I have long skinny fingers, using the button is a pain and the lack of feedback when adjusting annoys me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
337 Posts
back in Feb, Military Arms Channel posted on Instagram that Sig was sending him a shroud for his romeo zero. they said it will fail a drop test without it.
Haven't seen anything else from Military Arms Channel.

I plan on getting a shroud for my Romeo 1 but been spending too much money on ammo :) . But if I do drop it, at least it will completely shatter so I can see through and use my iron sights on my P229. And I do practice a lot with just iron sights.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts

+1 ^^^^My sentiments exactly!
I waited more than three months for my Zero and almost cancelled it but figured I'd have to wait at least that long for the 407K which I ordered the 1st day early Feb it was available for sale. My Zero arrived a few days later. Meanwhile...My 407K order has been pushed 3 times already but says early May now. :confused:
I prefer the short slide on the XL frame anyhow so I've sent mine to Fabricated Arms for 407K milling (the lug heights are apparently different but FA got specs from Holosun) and I'm just leaving the Zero on my XL slide and short frame with 12 mag.
Maybe I'll have the 407K and short milled slide in my hands next month. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My Thoughts Romeo Zero pretty big fail

I picked up a 365xl with a Romeo zero last month (I'm also disappointed that SIG doesn't include the rear sight and cover on the models that include the zero). I also currently own many SIG RX guns with Romeo 1's which I think is pretty decent, not on the level of a holosun or RMR by any stretch, but gets the job done on range and general carry. However as for the Romeo Zero, I get it's plastic and was designed to be light and cheap but it just feels really cheap and the controls are terrible. I can't even get my finger into the opening to pusht he button to turn the optics on or off. Then because its plastic, it doesn't really sit flush on the front of the slide you can see a very small gap but if you over tighten the rear screws you will crack the housing. Finally, I doubt it would take any level of hard abuse. I really love the 365lx on so many levels just not the zero, it's a swing an a miss. I will be replacing mine with a holosun 507k when they are available.

I don't know the entire history, but originally Holosun was producing all of SIG's optics then at some point they went on their own or contracted somebody else and its starting to show, as the Romeo line is getting worse. They should have stuck with Holosun in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I'm also disappointed that SIG doesn't include the rear sight and cover on the models that include the zero..
Yeah, that's why I avoided buying them together. I paid a little more for the combo but I like having the plate in the event that I have to send the sight in for service. And that's a very real possibility given how much these sights get beat up on these little pistols.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.