SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

Romeo just ******* out - what’s a better RDS for the P365XL?

23K views 152 replies 32 participants last post by  texas1948 
#1 ·
The title says it all - not that I’m surprised since the Romeo RDS that came on my P365XL seemed pretty flimsy to begin with. Seems to have died for no good reason that I can see - was not dropped or hit.

I would prefer an enclosed rds like a Holosun 509 or an Aimpoint Acro - what hoops do I need to jump through to mount one of those on a 365XL?

Otherwise, I’d be looking at a Trijicon RMR, which seems durable but is not fully enclosed.

Any info would be appreciated!

#2 ·
Nothing is perfect but the most durable and reliable open emitter optic is the Triji RMR type 2. The Aimpoint Acro P-1 is bombproof but eats batteries; rumor is Aimpoint is working on an updated version that will have better battery life.

Aimpoint doesn't have an adapter plate for the p365xl, so you'd have to find an aftermarket plate or a machine shop doing a p365xl conversion cut.

There may be a p365xl adapter plate for the RMR or RMRcc, or a machine shop doing conversion cuts on p365xl.

The other option is the new more rugged Shield RMSc "Glass edition" with a new more rugged metal body and improved electronics. It's a direct fit to the p365xl. Shield is a British company making them in Britain.

PM me if you want the scoop on that other brand you mentioned.

#5 ·
Iron sights never die, they function 100% of the time without any possibility of failure. Electronic devices can and do fail and they always fail when it is the most inconvenient time to do so. When is the last time your computer worked perfectly and never had an issue? The simpler you keep things, the simpler any problems are to overcome, such as defending your life. What happens when the optic craps out when it is needed the most? I’ll bet you will be more than happy to have iron sights at that moment in time.

#6 ·
The three different types that I have seen that for the XL optic cut all have BUIS build into the unit so if it does go down you still have sights.

Micro red dots on pistols are amazing, they all of to you shoot faster and aim more accurately. Regardless of how good it is though, I wouldn’t not run one without backup sights.

#11 ·
They don't have a BUIS notch like the RMSC, 507K, and Romeo0.

Those dudes are also straight up shysters. You should see some of the things they say on forums. There was one particular thread on arfcom earlier this year where one of the main reps was in there saying some very deceiving stuff. First trying to deny and hide the fact that their stuff comes from China, when that backfired on him he then claimed that they actually own the facility in China where their stuff is made which is a big fat lie since there's no way in hell that a company with less than half a million a year revenue can do that. A manufacturing facility with that capability is at minimum a $10M investment. Vortex and other huge optic companies don't even own the overseas facilities where their stuff is made and they are WAAAAAAAAAAY bigger than swampfox.

Also read the wording of their warranty or "guarantee"... There's no actual written warranty and they can easily claim that the units have seen of 50K rounds if they want to deny a warranty.

I wouldn't put their **** on even a 22 range toy if it was free.

#17 ·
FWIW you can get the 507K through scopelist using the make offer feature for $261, I ordered another one yesterday for my other XL. $20 more than the swawpfox gets you:

• Battery replacement without removal.
  • A back up rear sight.
  • A much more robust housing.
  • A product from a company with several years of good reputation of making pretty reliable products.
  • An actual written warranty.

Just to name a few.

#22 ·
Contact Sig Customer Service and tell them your Romeo Zero isn't working.
Ask them about the new Romeo Zero steel shroud as well. They may give you the run around, but I got mine for no charge because Sig knows they're sights are prone to failure with just plastic...

Blessings,
DocS

#23 ·
Shield RMSc. I've had a Romeo Zero, and a Swampfox. I prefer the Shield. The Swampfox is made in China. I wouldn't have bought one had I know that. Regardless it's too think. Back up sights are useless with it. My Romeo Zero worked great. I prefer the auto dimming of the Shield.

I have several Shield sights on several weapons. I've also got a Romeo 1, a Swampfox, a Burris Fastfire 3 and had a Romeo Zero. I'm not repeating misinformation I've read on the internet. (Not saying anyone one else in this thread is, but it happens)

#46 ·
My Zero on my 365XL died fast, put new battery in, then died again quickly. Third battery seems to be making it work just fine...

Reactions: Jerryl1
#52 ·
For what it's worth; too many folks confuse anything made in 'Asia' as being from China. There's a big difference between Korea, Philippines, Indonesia, India and ........China. A lot of great electronics including cell phones originate from Korea like my Samsung's.
My Vortex Venom optics are made in the Philippines and IMHO are an excellent optic, with a great warranty at an exceptionally good price. BTW....Vortex is American owned, Veteran owned, and Family owned.

#55 ·
Honestly the only country putting out consistently reliable optics has been Japan and they’ve been doing it for a long time and make exceptional stuff. Phillipino optics still go down at a decent rate but not as high as Chinese ones. I’ve had a few Vortex PST’s **** out on me and I know lots of others who have. Their Japanese Razor line is great though, I run the razor 1-6’s on my AR’s since it’s one of the top 5 most bomb proof LPVO’s and has the second best and most useable eyebox at 1x only to the S&B short dot dual CC which costs $4K.

#58 ·
I watched that video earlier today when I was watching several of his videos following another similar discussion. He does seem to know what he's doing more so than many other youtubers and seems unbiased and maybe not bought and paid for like a lot of reviewers. It did do well and he gave it good remarks but he also remarked several times that it's not duty reliable. It also faired better than the 507C in the drop test, it only delaminated in one corner a bit after the second drop. The 507C cracked really bad and I think it was on the first drop. Compared to the RMR though which in his final video on it I watch had over 20 drops and only had the ears scuffed up a bit, zero damage to the lens or housing.

#71 ·
I've been using Holosun on a 45-70 and 300 blog with no problems so went with a holosun on my P365XL and have no regrets. When I bought my first one I got it for the solar functionality and it works perfectly. On my 45-70 the second I tell the leaves in the woods might be green and not black I have a red dot in my sight (took it out to the woods with no battery and a spare in my pocket to test).

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.