SIG Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am used to optics with cross hairs to accurately zero my optics. This Romeo 5 which is mounted on my kel tec sub 2000 does not have cross hairs in the sight picture. I have it close, but I am new to these red dots and would like any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Just superimpose the dot on the target itself and shoot.

By the way, welcome from Florida.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks George,
that is pretty much what I have been doing. I didn't buy this sub 2000 as my super accurate rifle. I have other long guns for that. It was just odd to me to not have cross hairs in the Romeo 5 to aid in the zero process. Of course I did not think about looking for that when I purchased it.

Mike

·
Banned
17,715 Posts
As George16 said, you don't need crosshairs with a dot. That doesn't make it any less accurate.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Romeo5 is made for that gun. Great home protection combo. Love the auto-on feature of that red dot.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
I am used to optics with cross hairs to accurately zero my optics. This Romeo 5 which is mounted on my kel tec sub 2000 does not have cross hairs in the sight picture. I have it close, but I am new to these red dots and would like any suggestions.

Unlike conventional scopes with reticles that are dead center in the lens, red dots don't work that way- the dot may or may not be dead center before or after you zero the optic...

Do this: from a bench and at a chosen distance, adjust the dot to the actual bullet point of impact so they match, then leave the dot adjustment alone. Your dot may or may not be centered in the lens and that's normal.

If you have backup iron sights don't try to make the optic and sights match each other- they're separate sighting devices and are independent.

·
Banned
17,715 Posts
One important point - shoot a group of at least 3-5 shots, then adjust for the center of the group.
If you try to adjust based on just 1 shot, you'll chase that dot all afternoon.
Unless you use a one shot zero method like this one:

·
Registered
210 Posts
From a prone position using a bipod I aimed my iron sights at a clay pigeon set up on a berm at 100 yards. Then I adjusted the red dot to co witness. Folded the sights down and hit the disc on the first shot.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Choose what Zero distance first and go from there.
I use whatever the backup irons are sighted in at and park the dot on top of the front post and dial it in from there.

For red dot zero targets I like ARMA DYNAMICS - Red Dot Zero Targets
Several zero ones to choose from using a 25 yard target distance.
Different dot MOA sizes and the adjustments are calibrated for 25 yds.

Just hold the dot over the dot and take a few shots.
Dial it in and verify at distance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts