SIG Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did a google search and couldn't find any comparisons between the Romeo1 and the Vortex Venom. So I'm wondering if any Board Members have used both sights and which do they prefer?

Is the Romeo "worth" the extra $100 - $200?

My LGS has a sale on the Vortex ($200) and I'm wondering if I should get it or wait till the Romeo 1 becomes available.

TIA,

Ed

·
Premium Member
16,898 Posts
The difference to me is my preference for a small red dot.

The Romeo 1 is a 3 MOA dot
Vortex Viper RD is a 6 MOA dot.

I don't have either yet but am putting a Romeo 1 on my X-Five when I can finally get one.

Reactions: jkao42

·
Registered
363 Posts
What Steve said
I think both companies are great, can't go wrong with either, just personal preference

·
Premium Member
18,513 Posts
I agree with Steve regarding size, smaller dot is better. This was driven in to me this past summer at an Appleseed event. First day, one of my 10 22's with a Burris FastFire III was in use. The dot was so big, it covered all the silouettes, I scored miserably. Next day, AR with Aimpoint T-1 was used, scores increased dramatically.

Some argue the larger dot is better for closer distances. That might be true. But why limit your range by choosing a bigger dot? I'd suggest you go smaller. As to which product? Whole nuther can o'worms.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The difference to me is my preference for a small red dot.

The Romeo 1 is a 3 MOA dot
Vortex Viper RD is a 6 MOA dot.

I don't have either yet but am putting a Romeo 1 on my X-Five when I can finally get one.
Steve, I meant to say the Vortex VENOM which is available with a 3 MOA dot. I corrected my OP

Vortex Optics - Venom Red Dot 3 MOA Dot

·
Registered
761 Posts
The venom is a much higher profile, and won't cowitnees on most guns, even with Suppressor sights.

I tried a venom, and did not care for it. I liked the top loading battery, and the 3 moa.

FWIW, I've had a Trijicon RM08g, RM06,a vortex Venom, a Jpoint circle dot, and now the Romeo 1. I like the romeo 1 the best. The window size and shape works much better for me than any of the others. After having some larger MOA, I wouldn't want anything larger than a 3MOA, I like the top loading battery, and the adjustability (auto adjust doesn't work in all conditions) is very important. The RM06 would be second, and I have the Jpoint on my M&P Shield EDC where size is crucial.

Also the Venom is the only one that I had to shim in order to zero it. Shimming shouldn't be a deal breaker, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I definitely want a top loading battery which is why I'm looking at the Venom vs the Viper.

Initially, I plan on using it with my 22 Conversion for range use and replacing the rear sight, so co-witnessing isn't an issue.

Not sure about a RDS for EDC with my P320. Will have to see how I like it.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I definitely want a top loading battery which is why I'm looking at the Venom vs the Viper.

Initially, I plan on using it with my 22 Conversion for range use and replacing the rear sight, so co-witnessing isn't an issue.

Not sure about a RDS for EDC with my P320. Will have to see how I like it.
Keep in mind, most reflex sights today, have a fairly long battery life. Trijicon which many consider the bench mark are all bottom load battery. Don't get me wrong I prefer a top lad also, but It's not a deal breaker for me. I would put cowitnessing before top load battery for importance...especially if you're new to reflex sight on a pistol...cowitnessing should shrink the learning curve.

As far as reflex on EDC, the top of the slide is usually not a problem area for comfort or concealment for most people. Once you have your presentation down with a reflex sight, it's at least as fast as iron sights. And actually the presentation with the reflex sight that cowitnesses (and only a very slight change if it does not) is the same as the irons....the difference between the 2 as far as presentation, is all in the shooters mind.

Reactions: EdJG and kennethk
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.