SIG Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New purchase 01/12/2018 E26R 9 BSS RX

Battery cap will not go on with battery in place. It will go on without the battery. I Spoke with Customer Service this morning, I was told “it requires downward force to install” and that if I was not able to install battery and the cap that they would send me a Fed-Ex envelope and I could remove the Romeo 1 and mail it to them.

Customer Service also informed me they have not had any issues with this. The warning of “Use caution when starting the Battery Cap to prevent damage to the Battery Cap threads,” in the manual and then advised to use downward force seems to be a recipe for trouble. It appears impossible to achieve with the cheap plastic retractable adjustment tool and when using a real screwdriver I have only managed to mar the slot and create a high level of frustrastation for myself. I give up.

Disappointed to say the least. $1249.00 My first purchase of a P226 and I can not use it.

The turn around would be 4-6 weeks once they receive it. I certainly wish at this point that I had spent my hard earned money on a model without the Romeo 1

Anyone have any similar issues or advice? A quick search did not reveal any or I missed it.

·
Administrator
36,711 Posts
Welcome to SIG Talk. I've moved your post to the SIG Optics forum. Perhaps you'll receive more attention to your matter here.

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Florida.

I installed a Romeo 1 on my X5 last month. In order to close the battery cap with the battery, try rotating the cap in the counterclockwise rotation until it catches the threads properly and then and only then you proceed to tighten it in the clockwise direction. I used a regular flat tip screw driver and torque the cover down to about 5-8 inch pounds.

So far, no problems at all other than the spent brass hitting the Romeo.

Hope this works for you.

P. S.
I didn’t use the plastic tool. In fact, I throw it away in the garbage.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I used the provided plastic tool on both of my Romeos and it worked for me. Maybe get a new battery locally and try it?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Maybe there is indeed something wrong with your Romeo. I have 4 Romeo 1s and have not had a problem with the battery covers. I use a regular screwdriver on the cover--only use the provided screwdriver to adjust the sight.

·
Registered
20 Posts
To the OP, why did you need to remove the battery, or do they come without the battery installed?

Just curious if you battery needed changing after less than a month.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
The battery does not come installed, or at least it didn't on my P320 RX's. The battery in my Compact went dead quickly. I've had the FS RX longer and the original battery is still going. So I guess you never know. It's said the Duracell batteries are good performers in the Romeo's.

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
My romeo is going two months now on the original battery. I go to the range at least twice a week too.

To the OP, have you tried what I suggested on my prior post about turning it counterclockwise until the threads line up properly prior to tightening them properly?

Anyway, good luck with Sig’s CS.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sorry to hear. I haven't had any problem with my Romeo 1, and I haven't used the plastic tool either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally received an envelope from Sig dated Feb 09. The Fed Ex shipping label that was enclosed was printed Jan 15 the same day I spoke with CSR from Sig. All I can say is wow.

Yes I tried reversing direction (ccw) to try and seat the batttery cap, no luck.

The battery was not installed in the Romeo 1 which comes mounted on the P226RX The cap goes on fine without the battery in place. It will teeter side to side and cross thread with battery in place.

So they should Receive it in Tualatin Oregon by Friday Feb 16

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
20180215_190337_17cb27b8e0ba823420c58327d7d35442.jpeg So I measured the height of the battery that came with the purchase of the P226RX which is a Renata CR 1632 3v button cell battery. Not much difference in the height of it and an Energizer I think they were .120”and .123”. However, the lid which I believe to be the negative polarity measured a dia. of .460” on the Renata and the Energizer lid measured a dia of .419”.The Energizer is now in the Romeo 1 with the battery cap seated and securely in place.

Thank you for your suggestions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just a heads up that I would make sure it's tightened enough with tightening with the plastic tool sig sends. I've heard of quite a few mentioning that it's hard to get the right amount of torque on the cap in order to have it stay in place over time after firing with the plastic tool. They complained of the cap working loose while firing when not tight enough.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is there another battery cap that will work on the Romeo 1 site? I’ve had the gun for 2 years and have never used the site because I lost the cap right away. Sig Optics was to send another one, but I never got it. I’m thinking of taking the site off. I’d be happy to buy a replacement cap if I could actually find one and receive it (just to see if I actually like the site). Any ideas??

·
Registered
8,137 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
I used the provided plastic tool on both of my Romeos and it worked for me.
The factory battery tool is useless. The most common cause of problems is a battery cap not installed to the correct specs. Get a Wheeler Torque Screwdriver and tighten down the cap to 10 to 12 ft inches. While the factory tool will usually not allow it to be over torqued, it usually is way under.

A tiny (very tiny bit of silicone grease
I use the same grease as used on my uw camera gear. Easy on the o-rings. oil will degrade them. a light sheen is all that's needed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts