SIG Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a P320 C Rx a few days ago, and discovered two issues. First, the gun throws brass back into my face. I'm trying various ammo brands to remedy this. Second, the Romeo 1's MOTAC system (motion detecting auto-on) does not work.

The optic will turn on with either up or down button, turns off after 2 minutes and 20 seconds, but does not turn back on with motion. Only pressing a button again will turn it on for another 2 minutes.

I tightened the battery cap an extra 1/4 turn and replaced the battery twice - nothing helped.

Anyone else experience this problem with Romeo 1?

SIG has sent a return shipping label, and the gun is off to the factory. I love the firearm and the optic, so am really disappointed. I have other SIG firearms, and I know they will make it right.

I'll update this after the gun is returned.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I had (have) the same issues with my P320CRX.

I sent it back and they returned it within a week. I still get relatively weak extraction but it doesn't seem to be peppering my optic anymore. Hopefully after another few hundred rounds it'll break in a bit more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got my new sig p320 c rx today and my romeo1 just blinks and goes off I'll be calling sig on Monday kinda put a frown on my face when I took it out of the box and found it wasn't working tried everything from new battery and made sure the cap was extremely tight. Guess I'm just going to have to face it she's going back to Sig. I'm glade to see you all had a good experience with this problem being resolved it give me hope that it will go as well for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a new member here. I installed a brand new Romeo 1 on my P220 (custom machined the slide for flush-mount, and installed the SIG tall suppressor sights to co-witness). The only problem I have is the MOTAC doesn't work. I can't get it to turn on automatically no matter what I do. I have to push one of the buttons for a few seconds to turn it on. Even firing the gun doesn't turn it on! I sent it back to SIG, they sent it back with the following reply:

"Unit was powered on and mounted to Collimator to check functional requirements. Unit passes all required functional tests (power, brightness settings, MOTAC operation, windage/elevation/travel). No trouble found, sending unit back."

Now what do I do? I remounted the sight and shot yesterday, the thing STILL won't turn on unless I push and hold one of the buttons. Is anybody else having this experience with their Romeo 1? Is this normal? What kind of motion should activate it? I'd think just pulling it out of my holster SHOULD do it (if not, what's the point?) Appreciate any help here!

·
Registered
23,615 Posts
I am a new member here. I installed a brand new Romeo 1 on my P220 (custom machined the slide for flush-mount, and installed the SIG tall suppressor sights to co-witness). The only problem I have is the MOTAC doesn't work. I can't get it to turn on automatically no matter what I do. I have to push one of the buttons for a few seconds to turn it on. Even firing the gun doesn't turn it on! I sent it back to SIG, they sent it back with the following reply:

"Unit was powered on and mounted to Collimator to check functional requirements. Unit passes all required functional tests (power, brightness settings, MOTAC operation, windage/elevation/travel). No trouble found, sending unit back."

Now what do I do? I remounted the sight and shot yesterday, the thing STILL won't turn on unless I push and hold one of the buttons. Is anybody else having this experience with their Romeo 1? Is this normal? What kind of motion should activate it? I'd think just pulling it out of my holster SHOULD do it (if not, what's the point?) Appreciate any help here!
You have to turn it on using the buttons initially. It will then stay on until it senses no more motion for a few minutes than it will automatically turn the dot off to save battery (power saving mode). Then if it is moved again, the dot comes back on.
That way the buttons can be used to conserve the battery if you know you want be using the red dot for a while but you might be moving the gun around.

Reactions: vman

·
Registered
2 Posts
Romeo 1 MOTAC

So it doesn't turn itself on automatically (such as when pulled from a holster?) Seems like that defeats the whole purpose (having to initially use the button). I can't find anything about it in the owners manual. Wow...that's really depressing....the thought that on a "carry" weapon I'm still required to push a button to turn the sight on. Good thing my iron sights are co-witnessed! Thanks for getting back to me!

·
Registered
23,615 Posts
So it doesn't turn itself on automatically (such as when pulled from a holster?) Seems like that defeats the whole purpose (having to initially use the button). I can't find anything about it in the owners manual. Wow...that's really depressing....the thought that on a "carry" weapon I'm still required to push a button to turn the sight on. Good thing my iron sights are co-witnessed! Thanks for getting back to me!
No, I apologize for not being more precise.

You use the buttons to turn it on one time before holstering it. Your movement during the day will likely keep it on and ready to use. But if you remove it from your holster and leave it on the table (for example), without touching the buttons, and let it lay there undisturbed, it will go to sleep after a couple of minutes due to lack of motion. Then if you pick it up, it will detect the motion and should turn it back on with the same brightness setting you had last selected with the buttons. You only use the buttons again to turn off the unit so that motion will not turn it on.

This sleep mode is discussed in the Romeo 1 user's manual but it isn't written very clearly either. :D I hope this helps.

·
🎖USN Retired
4,335 Posts
That doesn’t make sense. So what happens if you don’t pick it up from the table for a day (just an example), will it turn back on when you pick it up again?

MOTAC shouldn’t need a button to be pushed in order to turn it on. There is a motion sensor inside that automatically turns it on. Just like the motion sensor on a security light that automatically turns the lights on once the sensor senses someone walking within the sensors range. I don’t recall any motion activated security lights wherein I have to turn a switch or push a button initially to activate the motion sensor.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
What he's saying is the sight has to be turned on first. If you long hold the button when the sight is powered on, it will shut off. No amount of moving the sight will turn it on at that point.

MOTAC is working on the 2 Romeo's I have. I carry one of them and have checked it's function a few times. Works just like the manual says it should. Just tested it again, works perfectly. I'm curious how long the battery will last, so I check it pretty often.

·
Registered
23,615 Posts
That doesn’t make sense. So what happens if you don’t pick it up from the table for a day (just an example), will it turn back on when you pick it up again? ....
Yep! As long as you used the button to power up the unit before you put it on the table. After sitting on the table for a while, the unit will turn the dot off, but because you powered it up using the button before you put it on the table, it continues to use a tiny bit of power from the battery, even though the dot isn't lit, while it monitors the motion sensor. Then when you move it, it lights up the dot again.

And if you don't want the dot to light up when you move it, use the buttons to power off the unit. No battery power is used to monitor the motion sensor and the dot won't light up when you move it.

And a security light will usually be connected to a light switch inside that has to be left on so that when the light detects motion, it turns itself on. :) But if you turn that light switch off, the security light can't detect motion and can't turn itself on.

Reactions: Arman4461
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.