SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a Romeo 1 optic as part of a bundle. I cannot get the battery cover on no matter what I try. I routinely work on electronics with coin style battery cells, so I’m abundantly familiar with finicky covers. I usually have success by turning the cover in the OPEN direction a bit first until it seats and then tightening it. Sometimes holding it upside down to start threading it works too, but not in this case. It simply will not begin to thread (and no, since I never could get it started it was never damaged from cross threading). It did seem to pop off pretty easy when I first took it off so maybe it is just defective from the factory. I’ve even tried to put it back on without the battery in it thinking I had an out of spec battery thickness but I can’t get it to start that way either. FWIW, it looks to me like it is slightly canted towards the muzzle end even if I have the muzzle slightly elevated from horizontal. Hopefully they will at least warranty replace it but I really don’t want to be without it for weeks. Any other ideas to try?

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
They're very touchy to get started. You just have to be a little, mind you a "little" deliberate with the pressure down.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I recently got a Romeo 1 optic as part of a bundle. I cannot get the battery cover on no matter what I try. I routinely work on electronics with coin style battery cells, so I’m abundantly familiar with finicky covers. I usually have success by turning the cover in the OPEN direction a bit first until it seats and then tightening it. Sometimes holding it upside down to start threading it works too, but not in this case. It simply will not begin to thread (and no, since I never could get it started it was never damaged from cross threading). It did seem to pop off pretty easy when I first took it off so maybe it is just defective from the factory. I’ve even tried to put it back on without the battery in it thinking I had an out of spec battery thickness but I can’t get it to start that way either. FWIW, it looks to me like it is slightly canted towards the muzzle end even if I have the muzzle slightly elevated from horizontal. Hopefully they will at least warranty replace it but I really don’t want to be without it for weeks. Any other ideas to try?
Brother, you have joined the Romeo 1 battery cover club. My Romeo 1 has been replaced already. The cover was cross threaded. The plastic dingy they give you is worthless. You'll need some gunsmithing flat head screwdriver bits, and pick the best fit. Push it down while threading it. And then when you need to change the battery - well, it's a good thing they are warrantied.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I unscrew the cover several turns and can feel the cover "click" as it reaches the start thread. Once i feel the click, it threads on going the tighten direction. Doing it that way I've had no problem.

That’s exactly how I was able to get my battery cover on as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: HODY905

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
As previously posted-
Apply some light grease to ease installation & avoid anodized aluminum parts from galling.

Turn the cover counterclockwise until you feel the start of the threads click.
Turn clockwise to tighten the cover.

I knew there was a reason that I chose the Leupold Delta Point Pro's.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Another problem with them is that the battery tends to get stuck in the cover with no place to insert a blade or screwdriver tip to pry it out. I have taken to smacking them down on a table, which makes the battery and cap part ways pretty reliably.

Shouldn't need to do this though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a quick update for what it is worth: had others try, so not just me. Called Sig and they were supposed to email me a RMA return label, but nothing yet. So ridiculous for a NIB product. I wonder how many times I’ll have to send it back in the next few years while under warranty?

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Ummm... no.

Quoted from the Sig Sauer website electro-optical warranty page:

SIG SAUER® Infinite Guarantee

Unlimited Lifetime Guarantee
Fully Transferable
No Warranty Card Required
No Receipt Required
No Time Limit Applies
No Charge

Please note that our Infinite Guarantee excludes coverage for intentional damage, misuse, cosmetic damage that does not affect the performance of the optic, loss, theft, or unauthorized repair or modification. Excludes electronic and Tritium components.

Although the last sentence seems to contradict everything before that, they have stood behind ANY failures since they started with the new "Electro-Optical" line. I think that anyone would be well advised to deal directly with Sig for any problems with these products. Doubt they will be "left hanging." If they were, the internet would blow up with comments that would decimate that "profit center" for Sig. The only reason they have been able to make headways into this arena, which has already been well served by names like Trijicon, Leupold, Docter, C-More, etc., is that they HAVE stood by their (less than perfect out of the starting gate) products.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ummm... no.

Fully Transferable
No Receipt Required
No Time Limit Applies
No Charge

Please note that our Infinite Guarantee excludes coverage for intentional damage, misuse, cosmetic damage that does not affect the performance of the optic, loss, theft, or unauthorized repair or modification. Excludes electronic and Tritium components.

Although the last sentence seems to contradict everything before that, they have stood behind ANY failures since they started with the new "Electro-Optical" line. I think that anyone would be well advised to deal directly with Sig for any problems with these products. Doubt they will be "left hanging." If they were, the internet would blow up with comments that would decimate that "profit center" for Sig. The only reason they have been able to make headways into this arena, which has already been well served by names like Trijicon, Leupold, Docter, C-More, etc., is that they HAVE stood by their (less than perfect out of the starting gate) products.
Ummm...we’ll see. The Romeo 1 hasn’t even been out 3 years yet, let alone 5 correct? I’m just saying time will tell how significant that last sentence is for issues other than mine (like the emitter).

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Ummm...we’ll see. The Romeo 1 hasn’t even been out 3 years yet, let alone 5 correct? I’m just saying time will tell how significant that last sentence is for issues other than mine (like the emitter).
From reports here and elsewhere, they are standing by the warranty.

I wonder how many Romeo 1 owners have no (or minor) complaints and just don't share their success online. Personally, I have three. My only complaint is with the darned battery cover. Never caused enough of an issue to request a replacement though.

Often, you only see the complaints posted online in forums like this (which is natural). The many thousands of happy owners/users never post about their lack of problems with the product. This is known in the scientific community as "reporting bias." Makes you think something is terrible even if the failure rate is a very acceptable hundredth of a percent rate.

Good luck with Sig. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just an update: I got my Romeo 1 back from Sig yesterday. It was a bad battery cover. The new one threaded on normally the first time I tried. It only took about 1.5 weeks from sending it out to getting it back.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ummm... no.

Fully Transferable
No Receipt Required
No Time Limit Applies
No Charge

I was told by a SIG CS rep that the frame and lens ONLY are lifetime, electronic part is 5 years. I was VERY specific in asking the details as to exactly what is covered. It's buried in the fine print if you have the time to look for it. I love my SIG pistols, but no more electronics for me. Below is the second part of the warranty info you listed that covers the glass and electronics. It also states that it's ok to send you a refurb replacement. I thought the same as you when I originally bought the sight.

Electric Component Limited 5-Year Warranty
For components not included under the SIG SAUER® Infinite Guarantee™, this warranty covers any defects in materials and workmanship in the electronic and Tritium components of illuminated riflescopes/sights, pistol sights, electronic sights, flashlights, lasers, binoculars, spotting scopes, and rangefinders. This warranty lasts for five years from the date of manufacture. If, during that five-year period, these products are found to have electronic or Tritium component defects in materials or workmanship, SIG SAUER will repair your product, at no charge to you. If we cannot repair your product, we will replace it with a product in perfect working order of equal or better physical condition.

This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I was told by a SIG CS rep that the frame and lens ONLY are lifetime, electronic part is 5 years.[/B][/I]
Wow. APpears that you are correct.

Interestingly, this is no worse than Trijicon's and actually better than Leupold's warranties. Trijicon offers identical coverage and Leupold only offers two years on electronic components.

That being said, why would the length of the Sig Electro-Optical warranty turn you off to their products?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow. APpears that you are correct.

Interestingly, this is no worse than Trijicon's and actually better than Leupold's warranties. Trijicon offers identical coverage and Leupold only offers two years on electronic components.

That being said, why would the length of the Sig Electro-Optical warranty turn you off to their products?
I was pretty surprised myself when I found this out in a conversation with a SIG cs rep.Since it seems that the Romeo1's have more than their share of issues and the Vortex is a nice sight at a comparable price that comes with an unconditional lifetime warranty, I would get another Vortex or another C-More instead of a SIG sight. I love my SIG pistols, but I'm very unimpressed with the optics at this point. It is super nice how clean they mount on the P-320 slides though.

When I bought it I assumed it was a great lifetime warranty like Vortex has.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I was pretty surprised myself when I found this out in a conversation with a SIG cs rep.Since it seems that the Romeo1's have more than their share of issues and the Vortex is a nice sight at a comparable price that comes with an unconditional lifetime warranty, I would get another Vortex or another C-More instead of a SIG sight. I love my SIG pistols, but I'm very unimpressed with the optics at this point. It is super nice how clean they mount on the P-320 slides though.

When I bought it I assumed it was a great lifetime warranty like Vortex has.
Agreed.

There are some features of the Romeo's that I like though (motion activation for instance), and there's also the annoying insistence on a proprietary mounting pattern.

I would have loved to have had options.

That said, and maybe I'm the exception, I will likely change out my oft-used MRD's every five years or so anyway to upgrade as technology gets better. I look at them like computers, mobile phones, and my Apple watch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts