SIG Talk banner

Roll Your Own AR?

2966 Views 37 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Willard
I keep having the thought of getting a AR in .308. I don't have anywhere to "stretch its legs." I don't want to have to stock another caliber. I don't need it. I have absolutely no rational reason for getting one. It's just something I don't have in my safe.

I was curious if it is really cheaper today to assemble your own AR rather than buying one?

I'm not talking about buying the best of the best, most exotic parts and putting together something for the next Star Wars movie.

But just good quality parts that make a reliable .308 with decent accuracy. Maybe something along the lines of the S&W AR10 or similar grade with a full-length top rail.

Just curious.

Thanks.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
483 Posts
I think the current prices for new rifles have come down to the point where you will be hard pressed to build one out for what you can buy a factory rifle for these days.

Wasn't the case in recent years but I have seen several entry level 308's well below $1,000. If you start pricing out parts and pieces you'd be doing good to get one assembled for less.

· Banned
7,265 Posts
Do you want an AR in .308 or a .308 and open to the platform?
Do you have other .308's are you partial to the .308 or are you looking for a "longer distance" caliber?

Generally you can build a rifle of better quality for the same coin you can buy it off the shelf. I found in 5.56 options over the $1k mark I could build for several hundred less. I haven't done the leg work for an AR10 platform.

· Registered
23,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you want an AR in .308 or a .308 and open to the platform?
Do you have other .308's are you partial to the .308 or are you looking for a "longer distance" caliber?

Generally you can build a rifle of better quality for the same coin you can buy it off the shelf. I found in 5.56 options over the $1k mark I could build for several hundred less. I haven't done the leg work for an AR10 platform.
Done have any place to shoot long range.
Just thinking about something of a common caliber that has more punch.

· Registered
23,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you considered an HK G3, available readily as a PTR-91? Great accuracy, proven platform and highly reliable. 20 round mags, plenty of capacity. This is becoming my favorite long gun.
Definitely a cool gun.

IF I pursue this urge for a .308, I think I would like to stick with a common platform like the "AR". I just like that platform. Lots of support for it in the parts world too.

· Registered
23,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the current prices for new rifles have come down to the point where you will be hard pressed to build one out for what you can buy a factory rifle for these days.

Wasn't the case in recent years but I have seen several entry level 308's well below $1,000. If you start pricing out parts and pieces you'd be doing good to get one assembled for less.
Hmmm.. Maybe I need to look a little harder now. I haven't looked since after the election. :D

· Banned
7,265 Posts
Done have any place to shoot long range.
Just thinking about something of a common caliber that has more punch.
Yeah, that's a big box of opportunity. ;)
I'd look into the 6.5 - 6.8 options for performance, though there's something about the .308.
Larue built a 260(?) That looks really interesting but I don't think you are just going to build that in an AR and its $2k+

I keep looking in the back of firearms news at those cetme kits.....and of course the ak or ak variants..... Oh and the bren kits.....

· Registered
483 Posts
The 308 AR stuff is a bit more than the equivalent 5.56 stuff. I'll try to give you a quick breakdown of cost to build just off the top of my head. I may be off on some of the things.

Upper receiver $150
BCG $175
Charging handle $30
Barrel $250
Handguard $250
Lower receiver $140
Lower parts kit $80
Buffer tube $25
Buffer and spring $35
Castle nut and end plate $15
Stock $45

So, this is probably for a cheaper, low end build and I'm probably missing some small parts like a muzzle device, gas block, etc. but you get the idea.

If I did the math correctly, that's about $945.

I've seen some complete rifles at my local gun shop for as little as $799 recently. I think he had another one for $850 and possibly a different one for $899.

Let me know if I'm way off base on this. It's been a while since I've put together a 308.

· Registered
483 Posts
Yeah, that's a big box of opportunity. ;)
I'd look into the 6.5 - 6.8 options for performance, though there's something about the .308.
Larue built a 260(?) That looks really interesting but I don't think you are just going to build that in an AR and its $2k+

I keep looking in the back of firearms news at those cetme kits.....and of course the ak or ak variants..... Oh and the bren kits.....
I'm toying with the idea of a 6.5 Grendel. Mostly because I have four completed lowers in the safe that aren't being used and one of them has a 3# single stage Velocity trigger in it that might work well for a precision type build.

· Registered
91 Posts
I just went the .308 route. But, I went a little upper end (shooting PRS competitively).

It'll be harder to piece together an AR-10. As a platform, they are a little more finicky than 5.56, if you don't get the build just right, IMO.

In the 308, either in AR-10 or SR-25 (which is becoming popular due to PRS), you'll see less open platforms...A lot of the factory builders, don't adhere to any "spec" in the .308 world and try to improve on some of the shortcomings of the original AR-10 design. This results in incompatible and (sometimes) proprietary parts.

That being said...Ammo costs more, and it's heavier. You say you don't have anywhere to stretch it out...308 can be a little "wild" for CQB, home defense..

...but...it sounds absolutely amazing :D If I was made of money, I'd shoot .308 as my main rifle caliber. (I might sell a kidney).

The recommendations of 6.5 or 6.8 are good. They will give more pop than the old 5.56...but those rounds really shine at 1000+ yards due to their BC.

Have you thought about a .300 blackout? Sounds like it would be perfect what what your gasing for?

· Registered
5,662 Posts
I just went the .308 route. But, I went a little upper end (shooting PRS competitively).

It'll be harder to piece together an AR-10. As a platform, they are a little more finicky than 5.56, if you don't get the build just right, IMO.

In the 308, either in AR-10 or SR-25 (which is becoming popular due to PRS), you'll see less open platforms...A lot of the factory builders, don't adhere to any "spec" in the .308 world and try to improve on some of the shortcomings of the original AR-10 design. This results in incompatible and (sometimes) proprietary parts.

That being said...Ammo costs more, and it's heavier. You say you don't have anywhere to stretch it out...308 can be a little "wild" for CQB, home defense..

...but...it sounds absolutely amazing :D If I was made of money, I'd shoot .308 as my main rifle caliber. (I might sell a kidney).

The recommendations of 6.5 or 6.8 are good. They will give more pop than the old 5.56...but those rounds really shine at 1000+ yards due to their BC.

Have you thought about a .300 blackout? Sounds like it would be perfect what what your gasing for?
300 Blk was the first thing I thought of also. My DD ISR is in suppressor prison atm.

· Registered
91 Posts
Just to expand / prove out my "general" comments...this is just to share how each factory build is rolling their own these days (unlike the AR-15 market). There really isn't a Mil-Spec "Blueprint" like there is for AR15s...

That being said, and what I added below. DPMS is known to make a good basic AR-10, for about half the price of the other true AR-10 manufacturer - Armalite.

From Daniel Defense:

"the DD5V2 establishes a whole new standard in the .308 platform. With innovative features like a 4-bolt connection system utilizing a unique barrel extension, an optimized upper receiver, an improved bolt carrier group, ambidextrous controls, a configurable modular charging handle, and a cold-hammer-forged barrel"

From Seekins Precision

"The proprietary buffer system is housed in a carbine length tube and is fitted with a Magpul STR stock. "

From LaRue

"Like the OBR and PredatAR riles, LaRue has eliminated the conventional AR barrel nut and bolt the handguard directly to the proprietary upper receiver, creating a true “free-float” barrel."

Wilson

"Proprietary In House Billet Receivers and barrels"

KAC

Go visit their SR-25 page, and you'll hardly nothing until you click on button/graphics that explains in marketing speak that many of their components are in house and unique.

· Registered
91 Posts
300 Blk was the first thing I thought of also. My DD ISR is in suppressor prison atm.
To clarify...The "like" is for the common solution thought. I do offer a general dislike directed to the Gvmt on holding your baby hostage.

Like others, I am so unwilling to pay the tax stamps right now "Hoping" that the HPA gets passed, in a shorter time than the paperwork. This is one case where, "If I can't walk out with it", the wallet doesn't come out. LOL...probably for the best. Plus, I like the sound of thunder - it's often missing up here in the PacNW, and my 308 brings it to the echoing lands....

· Registered
1,840 Posts
The Armalite DEF 10 lists under $1000, the DPMS Oracle regularly sells under $1000, you'll be hard pressed to build anything for that money. I've got about $1400 into the 308 AR I built, I took my time and got the parts on sale and found good deals on used items but ended up with a very nice top line rifle with features you would pay $2000+ to get on an off the shelf rifle.
If you may want to swap out some parts then stay away from the rifles with lots of proprietary parts, piston rifles like ruger and Sig, DI rifles like S&W, PA10, and the DPMS G2.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.